Gendo's Fate?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Xenogil
Embryo

Gendo's Fate?

•      
  •      

Postby Xenogil » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:32 pm

I've never been completly sure what happens to Gendo at the End of Evangelion. I saw his head get bit off by unit 01, and how he apologizes to Shinji, but what happens to him? I don't know wetheter his soul goes into Lilith's womb, or if he dies for good. I think that this should be a simple question to answer, but I'm not totally sure what happened, so if any of you could fill me in on what happened to Gendo, I would greatly appriciate it.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:41 pm

He was complemented, just like everyone else was. I think the reason his complementation was different was because he had more personal demons than the rest of the cast.
I believe there is an answer to this question at the EvaOtaku FAQ page.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:43 pm

Eva01 didn't bit his head off, Gendo was cut by half by the Eva.
Each person in the world saw different and personal things before they turned to LCL.
This was what Gendo saw. All the conversation between him, Yui and Kaworu, was in his mind, they were imaginary, just like his violent death.
His soul was released just like everyone else.
*insert cool signature here*

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:07 pm

Seele referred to it as indescriminate. There was no avoiding it, as is demonstrated by Aoba.

Gendo's form of complementation was distinctly different. And I think it says a lot for his feelings regarding Shinji. For the better part of the show, we believe him to be this asshole who simply wanted his wife back, so much so that he would hurt and destroy anyone in the process. But in the end, his form of complementation was not returning to his wife, it was suffering a bloody and painful death at the hands of his son. I think that says a lot for his character, and it goes to show that he is just tragically misunderstood, more so than Shinji, and that they are fundamentally the same.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:08 am

Oww......... man that looked painful...... EM's right though, Gendo may still be the Basterd King but he misunderstood all the same
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:19 pm

Gendo actually has the same problem as all the other characters. He became cold and alienating towards Shinji and eveyone else, araid of being hurt.
Yes, Gendo is misunderstood, and because of that, and a few other things, he is my favorite character.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:19 pm

I think the whole thing where Shinji's Eva bites Gendo in half is like a visual metaphor as to Shinji's feelings towards his father. Gendo neglected him, forced him to pilot Eva after some odd years of separation, and wouldn't help him during his obvious times of need (I mean, he was just his father and all... might as well not bother with the fact that your son is becoming a self-loathing hermit at age 14. And, in retrospect, Gendo might have been one of the only people who probably could've helped him due to the fact that they were both so similarly detached from the world), so Shinji just wanted to personally give him what he had coming to him all along. The fact that he was just as emotionally unstable as Shinji doesn't excuse him from being a cold-hearted loser.

It's funny, because the first few times I watched that scene, it looked like it was Gendo standing up in the background with his back turned to the audience, looking out. Then, when I watched it with one of my friends not too long ago, I mentioned (during the scene) that why the heck was Gendo standing up and looking over there when Shinji just bit half his body off? And in the middle of saying it, I looked closer and saw that it was Gendo... just not all of him. Needless to say, that scene goes down in my book as one of the most disturbing scenes in EoE. It still freaks the hell out of me.
Close your eyes and listen hard

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:37 pm

evolved to higher exsistence is what some site read....he just dissolved like everyone else...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”