Mari Discussion/Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

[SPOILERS] Mari Discussion/Speculation

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Might as well since there's a thread about "Asuka's new role".

There's a question I wanted to ask, anyway. :tonguegrin: Given the fact Mari is wearing a different school uniform then everybody at Shinji's school wears, do you think it's more likely that Mari is a transfer student or simply goes to a private school? Either way, it seems that the badge on her shirt is a school emblem of sorts.

Also, maybe it's just me but I have the feeling she's about Kaworu's age (15) as opposed to being the same age as Shinji.

Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Mari speculation thread (since that other one was locked

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:30 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Might as well since there's a thread about "Asuka's new role".

You really hate me, don't you...?

Given the fact Mari is wearing a different school uniform then everybody at Shinji's school wears, do you think it's more likely that Mari is a transfer student or simply goes to a private school?

She's hanging out outside of Shinji's school on the 2.0 poster. But, then, I guess that doesn't mean anything, since Kaworu's school-uniformed appearance on the 1.0 poster is a time paradox.

Unanswerable question is unanswerable.

Also, maybe it's just me but I have the feeling she's about Kaworu's age (15) as opposed to being the same age as Shinji.

How do you figure...?

Just FYI, Kaworu's "birth date" corresponds to his date of conception, which does not necessarily correspond to the "nine months later..." phase of human development (full-term neonate) that birth dates are usually attached to. I.e., he probably has pre-neonate months counted into the total, which is basically cheating.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:33 pm

girl is crazy pigeon-toed. other than that, I got nothin'.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:42 pm

Reichu wrote:You really hate me, don't you...?

No actually. It's just, isn't speculation alright as long as it's on topic? :crybaby: Aw, c'mon! It's only about 4 months away~!

How do you figure...?

Not sure, it's just a vibe I get.

Then again, I also thought that maybe she'd "calm and collected yet moe (or a moe-yandere just 'cause >=3 )" and that's pretty much unknown at this point. :sweatdrop:

I.e., he probably has pre-neonate months counted into the total, which is basically cheating.

Good point. There's also the fact Tabris=Adam which I'm sure is cheating too.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:37 pm

As long as Asuka is still Asuka, Mari can sprout wings and be an angel for all I care.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:42 pm

This is looking more and more like Girlfriend of Steel the more I read about it.

New girl = Mana with more of a backbone IE Asuka-esk if you get what I'm trying to say. She pilots the new drill Eva and Shinji maybe has some feelings for her.

Lets say that does happen and Rebuild IS a continuation of the past show then that would throw poor Kaworu off a little bit since she was not in the last Scenario.

Just have to wait and see
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:00 pm

I still like the idea of Mari being a FAR of all things (Her being an Angel would be kinda lame since that's Mayumi territory), but who knows. At the very least, it'd be interesting if she's a character that actually hates Shinji compared to how the "3 eva girls" act and feel for him.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:03 pm

That would be interesting, as long as it was that she actually hated him and not the Asuka type of hating him.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:07 pm

That's what I mean by Mari hating Shinji; actually hating him. Asuka for instance claims to hate Shinji but clearly she doesn't.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 pm

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:New girl = Mana with more of a backbone IE Asuka-esk if you get what I'm trying to say.

There's already a character that does that. Her name is Asuka.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:04 pm

She looks older and more 'mature' that Asuka. Certainly on visual impression, she cuts a well rounded figure. Somehow, she reminds me of Yui... sort of what Yui would look like if she was 16 and fanart...
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Well, there ARE apparently fan-theories that perhaps she's a younger Yui*, or even Asuka and Shinji's future daughter (Re-Take? In MY Rebuild of Eva?)...

*My guess is people who think this are hoping for the sequel theory since that seems to be the only way this could work. Unless it'd be Yui somehow already borrowing the quantum psychics powers from Lilith and Adam ala EoE waaaay too early. "I dunno, lol."

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:41 pm

I like that theory. However unlikely.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:50 pm

All I know is for her to become a TRUE EVA GIRL Shinji has to be put in some highly awkward and overly sexual scenario with her at some point.

With Rei there was "Oh I'm sorry, I fell and groped your naked breast and can't get up."

With Asuka there was "I know you're asleep and you'll kill me but I'm gonna stick my tongue down your throat anyways...oh wait, maybe I won't."

And for shnits and giggles, Kaworu had "Look upon me in the naked showers as I proclaim my love to you"
Actually I take that back- Everything pertaining to Kaworu was just awkward.

So what kooky pervy scenario will Anno put Shinji and "Mari" in together? Mutual showers? "Is that hair gel?" Maybe something ass based. Eva hasn;t done that yet.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:04 pm

You forget about Misato wanting to SHOW Shinji THE NOOKIE in episode 23' and the EoE adult kiss, but good point.

Yes, something involving Mari's ass (or Shinji's for that matter) would be amusing.

I do wonder if Mari WON'T be anything special, just a regular student, and it'll just be a case of Anno trolling us. That would be amusing. :mwahaha:

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:24 pm

what do you mean nothing ass based has been done? rebuild has a shot of Rei's ass they felt was needed when she puts on her plugsuit before yashima. Dont think it was in the original. All part of their more sabisu! campaign

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 pm

Theres gotta be something like that, after all "More fan service".

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:30 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Reichu wrote:You really hate me, don't you...?

No actually. It's just, isn't speculation alright as long as it's on topic? :crybaby: Aw, c'mon! It's only about 4 months away~!

"You really hate me, don't you...?" was short-hand for "Surely you remember how greatly I am pained by pointless Mari speculation, like that monstrous Mari thread that was just the same stuff being stated over and over again for an unholy 19 -- can you believe that, NINE-TEEN -- pages, and how much I whined, and how I smote the people by locking and merging their attempts to resurrect the monster, and how they whined, and surely you know that having to see all of that stuff reappear in a brand new thread will contribute greatly to my head cancer? WHY, SSD, WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME? WHY????"

That said... stopping the tide is exhausting, so I won't even try this time. :bigeyes:

Not sure, it's just a vibe I get.

Why is a special "vibe" required to account for Mari's general appearance? Two of the very small handful of Mari images depict her mingling with those in Shinji's age group, so odds are she's "one of them". And teenagers mature at different rates. No big deal.

By the way, I renamed the thread to more accurately reflect its insidious true nature.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Reichu wrote:And teenagers mature at different rates. No big deal.

Girls maturing faster than boys, too.

I guess that there hasn't been an identification of that plaid as belonging to a uniform in any other series
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:03 pm

They'll probably introduce some lame plot device like an EVA ACADEMY, and Mari is a cocky, self-assured, high ranks pupil from the EVA ACADEMY and probably lost her soul in the process or is a robot.

And EVA ACADEMY robot.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”