How can I survive in the real world?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

How can I survive in the real world?

Postby GAP » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:10 pm

I had never been known for working outside my own house and whenever I hear of things that happen in the real world, it makes me afraid to even leave my own house because I don't know if I can survive in the real world. What is so "real" about the "real" world? I cannot really go to work (or even land a job) without it feeling monotonous, miserable and boring especially when I hear my parents complain about me not working, how life is "tough", the bills they have to pay and how I need money but I don't work so cannot get anything. I hate that adage, "those who don't work, don't eat" but it is what everyone follows and I don't like to go get a job I do not enjoy while dealing with people I may not even like. What advice to you have on this?
Last edited by GAP on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Suck it up and get a job. And you're nuts if you think all the other people out in the real world have jobs because they want them.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:40 pm

What world?
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby majlund » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:57 pm

Dartz wrote:What world?

First Life<tm>
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:08 pm

GAP: You sound all too ready to "think" yourself into defeat here. The world is "real" because you cannot escape from it, unless you die or become a vegetable or something. Not being able to cope with it has consequences. If you don't take responsibility for yourself, someone else gets to (...if you're lucky, and they're not). A person can come up with all the excuses in the world for not working, or otherwise trying to make headway (like getting a degree), but if these are nothing more than excuses, what kind of person do we have? A burden upon others; a mooch; a parasite.

If you have legitimate issues that are setting you back, don't just lie around; get help, and want it. If all you need to do is suck it up and get over yourself -- well, what are you waiting for?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:57 pm

I tend not to dwell on whether the world is 'real' or not, otherwise I end up having 'Depersonalisation' experiences.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:21 pm

It's the real world because it doesn't go away when you stop thinking about it.

Wish I could remember who said that...

Deathmask
Lilith

Re: What is "real" about the "real" worl

Postby Deathmask » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:35 pm

GAP wrote:I had never been known for working outside my own house and whenever I hear of things that happen in the real world, it makes me afraid to even leave my own house because I don't know if I can survive in the real world. What is so "real" about the "real" world? I cannot really go to work (or even land a job) without it feeling monotonous, miserable and boring especially when I hear my parents complain about me not working, how life is "tough", the bills they have to pay and how I need money but I don't work so cannot get anything. I hate that adage, "those who don't work, don't eat" but it is what everyone follows and I don't like to go get a job I do not enjoy while dealing with people I may not even like. What advice to you have on this?

I don't understand what you're complaining about exactly. You're afraid of what everyone else in the country does. So what?
<X> i dropped my book for this conversation
<ZapalacX> i dropped my pants for this conversation
<Anti> I wasn't serious.
<ZapalacX> i was
<ZapalacX> i'm not even joking
<ZapalacX> look at my face
<ZapalacX> :|

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Sounds like you have agoraphobia. Get an SSRI.

Either that or "woe is me" syndrome, in which case you just need to suck it up.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:47 pm

I agree, "agoraphobia" is the first thing that comes to mind.

The thing about most mental disorders is that your mind is really good at coming up with justifications to make your particular decisions seem rational. Everyone does this to some extent. It's not even worth arguing over your justifications here, just get some help.

You may think that your parents will be able to take care of you forever, but the longer you go trying to avoid independence, the worse off you will be when that's no longer the case. Independence is a gradual process, and it's something you have to work at. Many people see college or the military as halfway steps in that process, one that can take four or five years.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:53 pm

...Or even longer, depending just what your goals or. Still, those are good ways to gradually gain independence.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Holy Diver » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:17 pm

We determine our own realities. If you see the world as "scary" then it becomes "scary". Only through dicipline, wisdom, and self-knowledge can we see the world as we truly desire. A good self-image is key to building an ideal reality.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:...Or even longer, depending just what your goals or. Still, those are good ways to gradually gain independence.

I should mention that I'm a couple of years out of college now and still living with my parents, but I have a full-time job.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:02 pm

If you cannot cope with society, you cannot contribute to society and therefore you do not deserve to live in it. Way back when, in a much simpler time, if you didn't fend for yourself, no one else would do it for you and you'd be utterly fucked. If you decide that you do not need the live in the real world you're just throwing away one of the many opportunities you've been given that millions of other people would kill for.

So suck it up, and get a job. It's probably not as bad as you may think it is.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:34 pm

What Hunter said.

Everybody hates there job initially. But once you die insi- err, I mean get used to it, it's not so bad. And it beats the hell out of being nagged by your friends and family 24/7.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Suck it up and get a job.

Yes, you'll never be able to afford all those expensive GAP clothes without one.

Everybody hates there job initially. But once you die insi- err, I mean get used to it, it's not so bad.

I hate my jobs more then when I started them , they dont pay nearly enough and I gotta put up with a lot of freaky characters, like mad poopers who shit all over everything, ex mafia hitmen, fruity dudes who sing about how i'm shamless in the bathroom, fruitier dudes who try to touch my sexy butt, idiots who think the nazis were communists and that the galaxy is bigger then the universe, bastards who have fucking furry asses and just drop their pants for the sole reason of grossing you out with their furry asses, drunks who drive on the side walk and never leave and other crap I'm too lazy to mention.

So yeah i need a higher paying job, I wouldn't mind the crap I put up with nearly as much if I was getting paid at least twice as much. Oh well i do have a couple ideas to get more money. hope they work.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:15 am

Isn't work just like being in school, except that you get paid? Doesn't seem so bad to me. Just ignore all the idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:38 am

What the hell do you do, Defectron... bathroom attendant in a gay bar?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:39 am

blog thread is whiny and bloggy
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Formless One » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:50 am

To the OP: I suggest you leave the existential angst to the fictional characters, okay? Sorry, but this is just the way the world works; you sink or swim.

You like the GAP? Well, that kinda indicates "(spoiled) rich kid" to me, which means you can afford college, which means you can get the good jobs and careers. Assuming that is true (maybe not, but I don't know anyone else who wastes money on that stuff), you have literally nothing to complain about. You see, once you get out of high school, you find out "hey, there is a whole world out there-- a whole world to make my own." It should be a liberating feeling. Don't dwell on the negative, 'cause the negative isn't as bad as you think it is. Certainly not if you know what you are doing. So I suggest you get up and start working at whatever it is you want to do with your life, 'cause sitting there just being another an hero among the depressed masses isn't going to make things better.

Have you heard of this show called "Evangelion?" I heard that it says something a lot like this. Or so I heard...
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”