How and when was Rei created ?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:44 am

"Three years ago" would have been 2012... Rei 1 was dead, and the earliest hints we have of Rei 2's arrival are in 2014. Even if Rei 2 had been pulled out of the jar by then, she would have been developmentally accelerated beforehand... Does the child-Rei Shinji sees in #20 LOOK eleven years old?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:51 pm

Reichu wrote: Does the child-Rei Shinji sees in #20 LOOK eleven years old?

No! She look more or less the same as the child Rei from eps 21. If you look, you can see she's even wearing the same dress.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:02 am

Unless all of Rei's vessels were made at the same time it would be unrealistic to guess the age - just a thought

Tsukasa Shido
Embryo

Well basicaly

•      
  •      

Postby Tsukasa Shido » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:49 pm

From what I know Rei was Created from Yui's DNA after her dissapperence durning the activation of unit-01 and If you guys seen the end of Evangelion then the only reason Gendo Created Rei in the first place is to get Yui back and Gendo ended up geting his head bit off by Unit-01. But thats what I think

rb_182_
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Well basicaly

•      
  •      

Postby rb_182_ » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:21 pm

That's what so interesting about Evangelion is that most shows would just have a character go up to another character and be like "Rei was created from what was left of Yui's body when she disapeared into Unit 01. etc etc" they would straight out explain everything. but eva.. no way. they never straight out tell you something. They either hint at it or leave you little clues thoughout the show.
The Real Ending to Evangelion~~
Rei goes insane!!~~
~Rei is hope.. the hope that people will one day be able to understand each other, and Kaworu is the words... "I Love You". I think they are two beings that will always be watching over everything~

Tsukasa Shido
Embryo

The funny thing is

•      
  •      

Postby Tsukasa Shido » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:42 pm

The Funny thing is that Shinji likes Rei and Asuka. If Shinji Likes Rei then that is sick because Rei is tecaly Shinjis Mother.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: The funny thing is

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:54 pm

Tsukasa Shido wrote:The funny thing is that Shinji likes Rei and Asuka. If Shinji likes Rei, then that is sick because Rei is technically Shinji's mother.

It's sick for someone to like there mother? Rei's only relation to Shinji's mother is genetic. I'm not sure what "tecaly" means, but I assume you meant "technically."
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:28 pm

you know, i think Rei II is awakened (or whatever you would like to call it) before 2014, as ritsuko talks of how long it took for Rei to syncronize with eva-01, and Rei has her little accident in 00
i'm not too sure about the times because i dont have my episodes with me

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:22 am

sadsadshinji wrote:i'm not too sure about the times because i dont have my episodes with me

Times are generally left vague - there are very few places when there is any notion of how much time passes within or between episodes.

In ep#5, we have

Code: Select all

Toji: Now that you mention it, [Rei] hasn't made any friends since she
   came to this school in the first grade.

which gives a latest date for her creation and deployment.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: The funny thing is

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:17 am

Tsukasa Shido wrote:The Funny thing is that Shinji likes Rei and Asuka. If Shinji Likes Rei then that is sick because Rei is tecaly Shinjis Mother.

Actually, she would technically be his Aunt, all things considered. That is if in fact Rei is genetically close enough to 100% Yui. If Rei is only 50% Yui 50% [Insert wierd Lilith DNA Sequence] then you could pass her off as Shinji's half sister.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:34 am

lets not get into the incest debate thing please...
geneticallly speaking, perhaps (if Rei could have children) the effects would have been the same as those of an incestuous relationship (higher chances of genetic defects)
and how would she be his aunt?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:40 am

sadsadshinji wrote:geneticallly speaking, perhaps (if Rei could have children) the effects would have been the same as those of an incestuous relationship (higher chances of genetic defects)
Well cousins sometimes marry (Heaven knows why. I would not want my sibling's children marrying mine) and they share ~25% of their DNA on average. Apparently defects will only arise arfer several sucessive generation of such inbreeding. Hence, european royalty.
sadsadshinji wrote:and how would she be his aunt?

As a "clone" of Yui for want of a better term, she is essentially Yui's belated identical twin sister. Hence, Shinji's aunt.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:43 am

well, you dont really know how much of Rei is yui and how much is lilith, so genetic comparisons are kind of out of the question.
is there any point in the series where Rei's genetic composition is clearly stated?

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:01 pm

haha, this is too funny. Let's put it this way, we know from the outside looking in that Rei's physical form is derived from Yui. Shinji may have an attraction to her but he does not know that it's his mother's DNA . Rei is attractive, period (at least IMO).

Also, Shinji was too young to clearly remember what his mother looked like. The series teased us with comments that Shinji made to Rei (you'd make a good mother / wife one day or something or other).

I think it would be natural for any of us in his shoes to be attracted. Of course once we realize she was related, it would most likely make us sick to our stomachs.
Alex D.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:08 pm

The exsact time for Rei creation is not stated but I think Rei I was created some time around eight years before EP 1.

AS for the how well a bit of Yui, a lot of Lilith, some grief, and a lot of bosession went into her creation. She is created as a means to control 3I and serve gendos ends, that about all we know.

On the time honored topic of Shinji X Rei, im sure that theirs enough genitic diffrence for them to not be concidered related the fact that she looks so much like Yui would turn me off in Shinji place.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:29 pm

Rei 1 was created in 2005. The script states that she is five years old in 2010, when Naoko sees her for the first time.

Since Rei is a clone of Yui, she sure as hell is related to Shinji. Shinji got half of his genes from Yui, thus he has 50% in common with Rei as well. In genetic terms, that is quite a lot.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:36 pm

usually amongst siblings (excluding twins) thats pretty damn high
their babies would probably look rather strange if they had any

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”