Is Evangelion Flawed?

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Reichu wrote:Last I checked, episodes #07 through #11 were all integral to the plot.

Yeah, I can see how Thermal Expansion proved to be an oh-so-critical concept in later episodes...

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 00:53 GMT

AsukaxSohryux [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaxSohryux [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:Yeah, I can see how Thermal Expansion proved to be an oh-so-critical concept in later episodes...

......come on now. These episodes were there to shed some light onto the series. They still followed the story but in a more lighthearted sense.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 00:57 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:12 pm

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:Episodes 7-14 are all flaws.
Amen Fuzzy.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 01:11 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:12 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Amen Fuzzy.

Reichu --> Image <-- Aaron or Fuzzy

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 01:21 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

[quote="Reichu"]Reichu --> Image That's kinky.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 02:29 GMT

Fuzzy Chickens [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Fuzzy Chickens [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:12 pm

When Reichu or Shin agrees with me, it's cause for many jokes about the end times.

When the Eva Monkey agrees with me, it's cause for actually praying to whatever gods you believe in.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 02:40 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:12 pm

Hey I like episode 11, it was hilarious. As for the 7-9 they were definetly flawed. No commitee, no Keel= no fun!

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 03:08 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Fuzzy Chickens wrote:When the Eva Monkey agrees with me, it's cause for actually praying to whatever gods you believe in.
Well, if anyone cracks a joke about the action arc or says that the action arc is sub par, I tend to agree. The episodes did little to advance the plot and there was no great degree of characterization. I won't say they suck, because some people like the humor and action. But in general, they are not my cup of tea.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 03:13 GMT

MagicianCamille [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MagicianCamille [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:12 pm

7-11 were my favorite episodes. Go figure.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 03:15 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Jet Alone is the greatest robot EVAR. Shiro Tokita will have his revenge!

Enter Jet Alone Mark 2, the Hydrogen Fusion Butt Plug Model!

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 03:42 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Jet Alone is the greatest robot EVAR. Shiro Tokita will have his revenge!

Enter Jet Alone Mark 2, the Hydrogen Fusion Butt Plug Model!

Does anyone have any screenshots of Tokita? I liked his character and want a picture of him.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 04:19 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

I have these two online at the moment.

"...Online"?

:thinks for a moment and looks at some paperwork on her desk:

Oh dear. I better send in my domain name registration before they come and take my playground away.

Oh yeah. Give me your money, too. And your squirrels, and your anchovies, and your orangutans, and your breakfast cereals. For the greater good, of all humanity.

Right. Shiro-kun. I have no idea why, but for a shallow, one-episode character, he is great satire material... NGE just wouldn't be NGE without him. :snicker:

http://www.evacommentary.org/episode-07/07_C127_big.jpg

Got a bigger one of that, if you PM me a special request.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 11:32 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Thanks that took care of it! I rather liked him, he wasn't that shallow. Just a little to sure of himself.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 11:38 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 pm

It's too bad the show never followed up with his Revenge on Nerv. I'm wondering if that's what the deal with the JA Kai in NGE2 is all about. If you people give me your money, I'll go and find out for you. Image (The game is sitting here on my desk. Problem: No Japanese PS2.)

Or, uh, I could try some Google searches, but that would be too easy.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 12:16 GMT

Seele08 [ANF]
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Seele08 [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 pm

JA Kai looks pretty badass if you ask me. I think Tokita should get back at Gendo, maybe he could Hijack Keel's systems the way Gendo did JA's. It would be pretty funny to watch Keel pull a KOS-MOS on Gendo's ***. (if you don't know who KOS-MOS is she's the combat android from Xenosaga, who on her first activation went pyscho, killing most of the staff responsible for building her in a most gruesome manner. Gruesome in the way she literally just shoved her arm throught one of the chief engineer's chest.)
It seems every activation test goes wrong in Eva. JA-went beserk, Eva-00 went beserk, Eva-03 went beserk/taken over by angel, and Eva-01 absorbed Yui's soul, and Eva-02 absorbed Kyoko's soul. I'm guessing good ol Keel's wasn't so hot either....

Gendo: Aw look Keel's playing with him
Kozo: ...sir that's not what I call playing.
Gendo: Of course it is...he looks happy.
Ritsuko: I'm pretty sure that picking up the poor expendible technicians and throwing them repeatedly against the wall doesn't constitute playing.
Gendo: Maybe not, but these nameless techs are easy to replace. We go through several a week its not like we will really miss this one.

I need some sleep damnit! Stupid ideas keep popping into my mind, and won't leave me alone.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 12:21 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Leader Desslock [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 pm

So, to come back to the thread topic...

Eva Monkey - did you learn anything new at all from this thread and poll? If so, what? I'm genuinely curious, because like Soluzar, I thought that the either/or nature of your poll choices plus the oppositional way those viewpoints were worded in your first post sounded like pretty obvious flamebait to me. That's why I replied in the neutral, quite honestly.

I mean, if you'd had a poll with 8-10 choices, choice 1 being "not flawed", then the other 7-9 choices allowing people to choose different aspects of the production in which the flaws they perceive are located (writing, direction, animation, continuity, concept, etc.), then I think it might've almost been informative. But I have to wonder what conclusions you're able to draw from the current poll and its results.

I mean, let's be honest here. You have some experience with Evangelion, yes? You know that there are people who will never give it credit for what was done right, and for every one of them there's a corresponding fanboy who will never admit to Evangelion containing the tiniest mistake. And you know that in the middle is the vast majority of people who either have perspective or frankly don't care. You knew that before you made the poll, but I don't see what conclusions you're hoping to draw from the poll except what you already knew. It'd be like me going into the Ranma subforum and making a poll to let people vote for the best fiancee - n00bs might do stuff like that, but we wouldn't; we both know our subject matter too well.

So again - what was it you were hoping to achieve with this poll again? I'm genuinely interested, because I get the idea I must be missing a more subtle design behind it all. This isn't a personal attack. I merely seek to understand the information the poll results were meant to convey, 'tis all.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 14:36 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Lesser Dreadlocks, I bring you context.

EDIT: Holy cow, "not flawed" has two votes already!

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 15:01 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Malchiel wrote:Haha, you can't tell an Eva fanboy that Eva is flawed =P

That's just a big no no

look here

Sadly true Image

Give me a break, Malchiel. Evangelion has plenty of flaws, but the Eva Monkey is just using this poll as amunition in his various specious arguments...

BTW: I <3 you too. Image

Since this seems like the place for it, though, I might as well add that I personally have come to almost dislike Evangelion as a result of coming into contact with some so-called fans. I certainly have no time whatsoever for discussion of the show anymore.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 15:12 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Leader Desslock [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 pm

^^ Okay, so is this poll simply designed to settle that one issue? Or is this poll designed to determine whether Anno & company were capable of making mistakes or not? To which we go back to my original point, don't we? I still don't know what new information this poll is meant to reveal to someone who presumably has as much experience as Eva Monkey.

I guess I'd like to hear it from him, is all. I'm not trying to start a war.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 15:15 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Leader Desslock wrote:^^ Okay, so is this poll simply designed to settle that one issue? Or is this poll designed to determine whether Anno & company were capable of making mistakes or not? To which we go back to my original point, don't we? I still don't know what new information this poll is meant to reveal to someone who presumably has as much experience as Eva Monkey.

I guess I'd like to hear it from him, is all. I'm not trying to start a war.

The Eva Monkey simply can't stand for anyone to disagree with him, is what this amounts to. If you have a different view about a certain aspect of the show than he does, he'll start a war. I have never seen him make 3 posts in a row without flaming.

I am aware of the irony that this post does in itself constitute a flame, but I stand on my reputation, and I trust that those who know me best will know that it is with the utmost deliberation and gravity that I choose to make such statements, and that I would not do so without cause.

I hope that it is the opinion of the other members of this forum that it would be out of character for me to level unfounded allegations against anyone.

Originally posted on: 30-Jan-2006, 15:20 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”