Flaws in NGE?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
SAWgunner
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SAWgunner » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:59 am

Whether it was Engrish or not, that song still sucked and didn't belong there. Even if they were trying to go for irony, that wasn't the place to put it.
I stand by my original conclusion, that they should've just went on my iTunes and picked from there.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:01 pm

Forsaken Instrumentality wrote:Shinji is just plain weird; why would he go to Asuka when Misato and Rei are probably a million times nicer to him....

That's not a flaw, that's Real Life.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

3rd-apex
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 3rd-apex » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 pm

Evangelion is NOT my favorite anime in the least, I think RahXephon and The Big O did a much better job at this style of anime, however, Rebuild may change my mind. (If it matters, Ergo Proxy is my favorite anime)

I have a Love-Hate relationship with Evangelion. I own the Platinum edition box set, and both movies. Evangelion does have flaws, most notably the useless episodes. Ugh. I can get past the plot holes, but some of the useless episodes just drive me up the wall. That is my two cents.

I hope Rebuild fixes this, because I feel this anime had, has, much more potential than RahXephon or The Big O ever did.

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:41 am

I consider "Evangelion" to be flawless, and one of the finest achievements in both art, and literature. And as my good friend Eva Yojimbo once said, the flaws in "Evangelion" gives it that human feel to it. BUT to me, I think it's flaws, and so-called plot-holes work in it's benefit. And that has to do with the fact that it's an ambiguous work of art, and it opens itself up for theories, and interpretations. So whatever flaw that you might see, can be interpreted. That's the beauty of "NGE", because of it's ambiguity. It works as a number of allegories, metaphors, and you can take something different from it with each viewing.

Either way, I don't know much. I've only seen it three times over the last year, and I'm about to give it another viewing. :grin:

Shinji is just plain weird; why would he go to Asuka when Misato and Rei are probably a million times nicer to him than what pre-3I Asuka would ever be?

That's actually a very realistic, and honest portrayal of a person like Shinji. Many people don't really want the person that will be nice to them, or treat them special. They want the person who will break their heart, and destroy their self esteem, especially when they know that will be the outcome. So Shinji developes strong feelings towards Asuka, and he probably loved her honesty more then anything. She's honest, and will tell you exactly what she thinks of you. So in a weird way, you can trust Asuka more then any other character in the series, and that's why Shinji felt more comfortable with her towards the end. In other words, he wasn't afraid of her.

Whether it was Engrish or not, that song still sucked and didn't belong there.

Your wrong. It's beautiful, though provocking, and disturbing piece of music. Muchlike like "End of Evangelion", and it completely complimented everything that went on during the series. Like I've said before, it is the most up-lifting song about depression, and it is simply fascinating. Using your music, would of ruined a perfect piece of cinema.

Evangelion is NOT my favorite anime in the least, I think RahXephon and The Big O did a much better job at this style of anime, however, Rebuild may change my mind. (If it matters, Ergo Proxy is my favorite anime)

I can see that you like easy going works. Because let's face it, "Ergo Proxy" tries to explain everything at the end. It's a very good anime, but it over-elaborates too much. Some things should be left unsaid.

Evangelion does have flaws, most notably the useless episodes. Ugh. I can get past the plot holes, but some of the useless episodes just drive me up the wall. That is my two cents.

Why is that?? I can't think of any real flaws in this anime, that can't be intepreted. Nor do I feel that any episode was useless. Sure, during the first half, it had that "monster of the week" kind of feel to it. But everything in episodes 10-14 still had it's most recurring motifs, and symbolism. They also gave us more character depth, and developement of the story.

I hope Rebuild fixes this, because I feel this anime had, has, much more potential than RahXephon or The Big O ever did.

I've seen the first installment. And while it has better production value, and an extroadinary atmosphere, it's not as great as "NGE." And I doubt that the sequels will take "Rebuild" to that level of perfection. "Rebuild" isn't even a remake, it's a rehash.

And I don't understand how you can put down "Evangelion", when "RahXephon" doesn't make any sense, and has an incoherent narrative.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:39 pm

Holy quadruple posts Batman!

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:03 pm

Evangelion217 wrote:I can't think of any real flaws in this anime, that can't be intepreted.

The transparent hill, episode 12:

Compare this with the fixed version, shown in a recap two episodes later:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:10 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:The transparent hill, episode 12:

Also, the vanishing cigarette.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Deathmask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Deathmask » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:13 pm

SAWgunner wrote:Whether it was Engrish or not, that song still sucked and didn't belong there. Even if they were trying to go for irony, that wasn't the place to put it.
I stand by my original conclusion, that they should've just went on my iTunes and picked from there.

If you had bothered to listen to the lyrics you wouldn't feel that way.
<X> i dropped my book for this conversation
<ZapalacX> i dropped my pants for this conversation
<Anti> I wasn't serious.
<ZapalacX> i was
<ZapalacX> i'm not even joking
<ZapalacX> look at my face
<ZapalacX> :|

SAWgunner
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SAWgunner » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:29 am

It seems that my opinion on the music in EoE has caused quite a bit of backlash. For a second, I thought that everyone else may have had a point; that maybe I was wrong and that "Komm Susser Tod" really was an excellent song and that it was perfect for EoE and that I was just missing some major point. So I found the lyrics online and listened to the song again, and drew the exact same conclusion that I had the last two times that I had heard and detested the song.
To start, I was wrong about one thing: It's not Engrish. I could go into why I initially thought so but that would be irrelevant. I was just wrong.
However, I stand by my initial assertion that "Komm Susser Tod" was a poor choice to use for End of Evangelion. First of all, no matter what anyone says, it's a pop song. I may not listen to that kind of music, but I've worked in retail for years and every day that I worked, I heard a ton of pop being piped in. Frankly, "Komm Susser Tod" would be right at home playing over the intercom at Kohl's or Walmart. The lyrics aren't exactly incredible either; just another simplistic ballad of lost love. For an example of lyrics that say the same thing about depression and loss, but do it better, I cite this English translation of a verse from the German band Einstuerzende Neubauten:

my soul is burning
I go and hide, sit in my hole
and wait for the dreams to save me
(they dont come)
slowly but surely
I burn at the stake of love
from deep within to without

Compare that to:

what's done is done it feels so bad
what once was happy now is sad
I'll never love again
my world is ending

Which lines are more thought-provoking and disturbing?
"Komm Susser Tod" is also too damned uplifting-sounding! Sure, the lyrics are sad but if you're paying more attention to what's happening in the movie than to the song, you can easily mistake it for happy. What's happening in those scenes is not happy or uplifting but a massive and soul-shattering apocalypse of cosmic proportions. You see many of the characters we've grown to know and love from the anime being turned into primordial soup as their souls are spirited away by terrible psychopomps embodied by the show's most beloved character along with the entire human population. It's an intense, pseudo-religious, metaphysical cataclysm with a very banal and uninspired piece of music playing over it. The song simply doesn't match the events; it's as if they played "Particle Man" by They Might be Giants during Asuka's mindrape scene.
I believe that something of the magnitude of Instrumentality deserves music that is truly in synch with what's occurring. To that end, I have found a mere two songs that I would fit the mood much better. Please take the time to listen to these songs, perhaps while watching the scene with the mute button on, to see what it could've been:

1) Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Moya
[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsf2LoLk3SA[/url]

2) Einstuerzende Neubauten: Armenia
[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCX6KvfIovU[/url]

In the end, this is all a matter of opinion. Some may genuinely think that a very standard sad love song with Baby-I-Miss-You lyrics like "Komm Susser Tod" fits the whole fantastic scenario of Instrumentality nicely. I, for one, believe otherwise. I hope that this post will alter some peoples' views on this issue and introduce them to some good music in the process.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:04 am

Chronology problems aside, I'd instead use the final movement of Motherfucker=Redeemer part 1 as background for the UBF
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SAWgunner
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SAWgunner » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:03 am

I would prefer to use the fourth, fifth, and some of the third movements of Static from Lift Your Skinny Fists but I couldn't find any audio to link to. I used Moya just to give people an idea of what GYBE as Eva's soundtrack would look like.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:46 am

Kaworu.

I kid. I kid.

Marzan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:36 am

I think Evangelion's contradictions are part of "writing while doing" and not knowing were you are going to take it.

But the WTF factor is part of what it makes it special!
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

DrDazzle
Embryo

Re: Flaws in NGE?

•      
  •      

Postby DrDazzle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Another Asuka wrote:I consider NGE to my favourite anime by a good few light years.
Now I know it can be argued that the story is needlessy complex at times and could have been told more coherently, which is the main purpose of Rebuild of Eva', but I still consider NGE to be a genuine flawed masterpiece. So my question is this; Is NGE your favourite anime and what do you consider it's flaws,if any. If it's not your favourite anime what is and why?

It's one of my all time favorites.

One thing that bothers me is why did Rei try to kill an angel with a N2 mine? They've proven rather ineffective haven't they? I mean I guess the AT Field had a lot to do with that, but I mean it has been shown that frequently you have to destroy and angel from the inside out or damage its core.

I dunno, maybe it is just me.
Make it so

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:23 pm

I thought that Rei doing that wasn't necessarily to kill the angel but possibly an act of suicide.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:40 pm

true, she does sound slightly put-out later when she wakes up in the hospital and sighs "I'm still alive"
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:35 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Kaworu.

I kid. I kid.

No need to kid about it. Kaworu's lack of screentime is a legitimate and often-made complaint.

DrDazzle wrote:One thing that bothers me is why did Rei try to kill an angel with a N2 mine?

She did target the core. But Zeruel had a hax shutter.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:19 pm

How can Evangelion, renowned for its solid storytelling, lack of plotholes, even character development, complex plot, and a wide range of accessiblity, have flaws?

There are no flaws in this series, gentlemen, and anyone who wants to point one out is just jealous that they can't make anything close.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:47 pm

The biggest flaw in NGE is the neko.

Err wait, I meant the fandom.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”