Parts of Eva You Found Unintentionally Funny

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

EvaBrothers
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:07 am

@Tumbling Down @Mr. Tines

Minute fillers. :shifty:
~ Luana Spinetti ~ Jabber: luanaspinetti@linuxlovers.at
Avatar courtesy of sinkerhooks. It's Misato because I'm 29 just like her this year.
"On the floor of the midbrain is the ventral segmental system, that neurobiologists call region A10. Cells soaked in dopamine, certain emotions are processed here: such as the thoughts of two lovers - or a parent and a child. And it is the synchronization of the threads and bundles of A10 that splice pilot and Eva together; to become one entity, to fight. In other words, the power of love drives this weapon of mass destruction." -Yoshiyuki Sadamoto

Tumbling Down
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:41 am

Two words: More commercials. :devil:

_-SAMWIDGE-_
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby _-SAMWIDGE-_ » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:50 am

I always find Shinji's face in 3.33 just before Kaworu goes splat hilarious

http://puu.sh/aaJWe/0470703366.png
Ham cheese and lettuce

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:49 pm

It's funnier in hindsight, but Asuka correctly guesses the Angels are aliens in The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still. Misato called them Aliens in the first two or three episodes too, iirc.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:58 pm

View Original Post_-SAMWIDGE-_ wrote:I always find Shinji's face in 3.33 just before Kaworu goes splat hilarious

http://puu.sh/aaJWe/0470703366.png

You have no soul.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:55 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:You have no soul.

Recalls me a saying from a French comic: "On peut rire de tout, mais pas avec n'importe qui."
Meaning "we can laugh from anything, but not with anybody. ^_^
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:37 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:

Doesn't make me laugh, but it does give me nostalgia. (My friends, though... they laughed at the pause. It does go on for quite a while.)

Vikocho
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vikocho » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:20 am

Do you guys remember when Eva-01 was chasing Jet Alone in an epic stance and the Jet Alone was just like wiggly speed-walk?

As a sub kind of guy, the whole dub (mostly EoE) is kinda funny to me, and the additional sound effects they add were funny too, like where Misato kills some guy and you heard that stock liquid sound effect, and the flamethrower scene, as if the guy stopped burning when the flamer guy stopped firing, just to continue screaming after the flamer starts firing again...

Oddly i found Black Hyuga to be not so funny...
"Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!
Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt"

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Not sure if these moments were supposed to be funny but I laughed out loud the two times Ritsuko was slapped by Misato.

IronEvangelion
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:04 pm

Let's see...

The part where Unit 01 was eating Zeruel, and stopped midway to make sure nothing was trying to sneak up on it. You're an eva! You don't have any natural predators!

And in the rebuild... Mari. Just... Mari. I love her, but she is the worst eva pilot I have ever seen. She's destroyed more evas than angels, and they were evas that she was piloting!
Final Fantasy VII is being remade, all's right with the world.
BASCH LIVES 2017
#1 Duck Team/Akebi Sasaki (Girls und Panzer) fan.
"There are two things I can't stand: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." -Nigel Powers (Austin Powers: Goldmember)
"Oh no, Haruka! My butt's already split! I think my whole team's butts are split!" -Minori (Senran Kagura: Estival Versus)

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:16 am

I laughed when Hallelujah chorus started during Arael's attack too... :fuyu_facepalm:

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:The part where Unit 01 was eating Zeruel, and stopped midway to make sure nothing was trying to sneak up on it. You're an eva! You don't have any natural predators!

That's true!
Maybe Shogouki was shy and simply was checking that no one saw it, like when you're eating in class but you're not allowed to (?)

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:And in the rebuild... Mari. Just... Mari. I love her, but she is the worst eva pilot I have ever seen. She's destroyed more evas than angels, and they were evas that she was piloting!

I'm pretty sure that I've seen "Bad luck Bryan" memes but with Eva faces. :lol:

midorikitakami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby midorikitakami » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:03 am

my current two favorite quotes are "EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET!!!!" and "It's hot." "Yes."

also Rei slapping Shinji
if i dont talk to myself who will???

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:14 pm

I just remembered Rei's spidey sense during the elavator scene in Ha :lol:

KatsuragiSansa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KatsuragiSansa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:02 am

View Original PostVikocho wrote:As a sub kind of guy, the whole dub (mostly EoE) is kinda funny to me (...)

*Exactly that. The dubs. Both the English one and especially the Spain Spanish dub. When you're used to watching everything in its native tongue, listening to the dubbed versions is like instantly turning whatever series/movie into a ridiculous parody of itself. For me, dubs = an instant fit of the giggles, no matter the episode or how serious the scene.

I laugh the most at parts where they're dealing with hard to translate Japanese idioms or talking about something that's deeply rooted in the Japanese culture... and speaking English!! It cracks me up every time though I can't think of any concrete examples right now. Dubs always sound so wrong to me, just pick any random part.

Yes, I'm a language nazi. I know. Got frustrated watching The girl with the dragon tattoo because I don't understand Swedish and had to rely on subs.

* All the scenes where there are exceptionally long silences like... say Rei and Asuka in the elevator (an NGE classic) and many others where you actually had to go check the VCR hadn's stopped working while watching them as a kid still make me chuckle even now.

* Rei's general lack of enthusiasm. I chuckle 90% of the times she's on screen as a civilian, especially if she goes "hai" or "ryoukai" like a mindless automaton. I don't care how serious her background is. I can't help to find that kind of response funny. Asimov depicts robots with more will to live.

Gosh, I've just realized how much I laugh while watching this rather serious anime (not that I don't appreciate the plot). I just grew up watching it on TV and it was on for like 6 years, so it evokes memories of when I was a carefree 12 year old... all the reruns made me immune to some of its seriousness. :S Well, at any rate, it's better than getting all grim, I guess. *shrugs*

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:00 am

^ As someone who seriously enjoys both subs and dubs of most things i can say that yeah the english dub of eva is bad enough that its funny but not to the extent where it hurts my ears (ring dub im looking at you....). but i will always and i mean always hate tiffany grants shit tier Asuka voice, THAT actually does hurt my ears.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Aether
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Aether » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:24 pm

As "that guy" who always analyzes the physics and whatnot, I can't help but laugh when Gendo shoots Ritsuko and she promptly flies 20 feet back, with no visible recoil to Gendo. Wut? :fuyu_facepalm:

Also, I haven't paused to look myself but I've heard others mentioning it, in EoE when Misato's on that Chromebook thing, I believe all that text is various previous works by Gainax.

Oh, and the unnecessarily copious amounts of blood that come from Sahaquiel, that little s**t.
If a king does not lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?

Tsuneo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tsuneo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:43 am

ive always found the scene in end of evangelion when everyone goes splat into tang rather funny
ONE MORE FINAL:
I need toilet paper

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:49 am

View Original PostAether wrote:that text is various previous works by Gainax.
A history of Gainax with names changed, in fact.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL

Dataprime
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:23 pm

I always found that long pause with Unit 01 and Kaworu to be funny. It's like a solid min.
of nothing happening.
Then pop goes his head! :rofl:

gets me every time..

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:27 pm

SPOILER: Show

Freudian Imagery at it's finest!
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”