Parts of Eva You Found Unintentionally Funny

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:05 pm

I imagine it being a lot like the end of 2001.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:07 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I imagine it being a lot like the end of 2001.

Most likely, although with a significantly less glorious or magnificient/happy tone. For some reason i just can't see Kubrick approving of the characters, their actions or the concept behind Instrumentality.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

sephiros
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby sephiros » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:13 am

I'd laugh anytime Rei talked in the Dub. She sounds just a little too much like the turrets from Portal.

Stryker
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:02 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 pm

I had a revelation and it amused me.

How do the Evas get to the surface? The Geofront is a big open space. There's nothing connecting the city to the floor of the cavern. There's no space for those tubes to actually occupy. Unless they go spiraling around the outside, which is equally hilarious.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:48 am

First episode, what do you think these spiraling lights on the Geonfront wall are for? It's the sparks made by the elevators going at full speed to the surface!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Damaijin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Damaijin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:12 pm

The part where Asuka finds her dead mother. It was just so random and unexpected and the doll was just dangling there and I couldn't help laughing.

I'm going to Hell.

Whenever Misato bitch-slaps Ritsuko.

The part in Rebuild 2.0 when Zeruel spits out 00's head.

The climax scene in episode 20 when they were trying to get Shinji to reconstitute his body in the entry plug. It was preposterous the way the showrunners were trying to inject action and suspense into something as boring as pushing buttons and twisting dials. Then there's the part where nothing ever works (for state-of-the-art technology, the Evas are outrageously glitchy). "I pushed a button and nothing happened!" "I pushed another button and nothing happened!" "Point-zero-zero-seven percent pseudo-sciencey junk!" "Oh no!"

Then there's the part right after that where 01 ejects Shinji out of its core. The sound effect made it sound like it was taking a dump.

In episode 16, when Shinji is trapped inside 01 inside the Sea of Dirac, he freaks out when the LCL starts to coagulate. The funny part comes when he starts banging on the hatch and calling out to people for help, because the last person he calls out to is his own father. Wouldn't children normally call out to their parents first? He even calls out to Ritsuko before Gendo, and when he does call out to Gendo, his voice dies down as he says it, indicating that he wouldn't expect his father to help him even if it were possible. Says a lot about his feelings for his father, doesn't it?

Whenever Misato bitch-slaps Ritsuko.

The part in EoE when Rei's arm falls off: WTF?

Also in EoE: "No one can hurt me when my Mama's protecting me!" (gets stabbed in the face) "AAAAAAAHH!"

I'm going to Hell.

Whenever Maya gags. Especially in EoE when 02 is being torn apart: we see the screen and all that's there is a technical profile for the Eva's armor. What was she losing her lunch over?

Aoba trying to hide from all the Reis. Especially since he had just ridiculed Maya for cowering under the console not five minutes before that.

After the Zeruel attack, the way Hyuga, Aoba and Maya were whining about using the backup control room. "The chairs in that one are hard." "Yeah, well this one has A BIG FUCKING HOLE IN THE WALL. Buy a pillow or something."

When Kaworu's head fell in the LCL. It was the Eva taking a dump thing all over again. Plus, all I could keep thinking was "Mama had a baby and its head popped off!"

Also, during the silence before Shinji squeezed Kaworu's head off, I actually thought 01's battery had died and that's why he wasn't doing anything. So it's always funny to me for that reason.

Did I mention the Misato bitch-slapping Ritsuko thing?

Yeah, I guess I find lots of things unintentionally funny...
Ben

Gus Hanson
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:31 pm

When Toji and Kensuke are told by Misato to get in the entry plug in episode 3, I found it funny because they could be assuming why is a woman talking instead of Shinji since it got found out in class that he was the pilot.

Aether
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Aether » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:44 pm

If a king does not lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:04 pm

View Original PostAether wrote:Relevant

All of my love XD
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Princess Asuka
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:03 am

Every time I watched subbed Eva and hear Kotono Mitsuishi as Misato.

I can't help but feeling like it's pretty watching an adult Usagi from Sailor Moon.

Probably due to the fact Sailor Moon was my first subbed anime, so I know my favorite character's voice pretty well. And I have that instant OMG, it's Usagi! reaction. :lol:

Knowing that Megumi Ogata voiced Shinji and Sailor Uranus.

I don't why but, I think it's cool and slightly funny. And now I like Sailor Uranus more.
"Winds in the east, Mist coming in, Like something is brewing, About to begin. Can't put me finger on, What lies in store, But, I feel what's to happen, All happened before..." From Mary Poppins
"For Love and Justice, I'm the pretty sailor suited soldier, Sailor Moon! In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!" Sailor Moon
"Anta Baka?!" Asuka Langley Soryu
"We fall in love, our hearts may break, we lose sleep longing for someone, but that's how we know we're alive." Usagi Tsukino from the Sailor Moon S movie.
"Trying to make sense of what a cat does is like trying to make sense of what Chuckman posts." - Nuke-kun

Serenity's Moon Palace Forum

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:27 pm

I've watched the End of Evangelion many times, but today was the first time I watched it high on acid. Well, it turns out the movie is a lot funnier that way even if the text is kind of blurry. My friend found the SEELE instrumentality committee and their mumbo jumbo really hilarious. Also today was the first time I noticed Misato talking about changing the carpet, so I found that hilarious too. In the Live Action alternate reality sequence, she didn't even have a carpet in her apartment to change, lol.

The movie was still really good though. I think I've watched it too many times.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:09 am

^ I knew we'd finally get someone around here to try that. I'm surprised it took as long as it did, really. Having experienced both of these things (hallucinogens and EoE) separately, I can only imagine what it would be like to combine the two.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004.
Current avatar: Derpy bootleg Sonic or Adam? I'm not sure on this one...
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:33 am

I laughed at the Asuka mind rape scene one time, it was way to melodramatic for my tastes. It was one giant kick the dog moment, oh God it was so stupid.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:35 am

^
That's probably the "Hallelujah chorus", that detail either makes or kill the scene, no middle grounds! :lol:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:43 am

^
That's part of it, another was her reaction to it, it was way over the top, especially when Tiffany Grant did it.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:45 am

^
Ah, you saw it dubbed, that probably played a big role too!

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:46 am

^
Of course I saw it dubbed :lol: I don't speak Japanese.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:07 am

There's always the subtitles.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:08 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^
Of course I saw it dubbed :lol: I don't speak Japanese.

That's what subtitles are for. :rei_meh:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”