Parts of Eva You Found Unintentionally Funny

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Hellfire
Embryo

Parts of Eva You Found Unintentionally Funny

•      
  •      

Postby Hellfire » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Were there any parts of Evangelion that made you laugh, chuckle, or that you found slightly humorous that you are pretty sure was not supposed to? I just got done watching the series from beginning to end last night (including EoE) and there are a few things I can think of that got that kind of reaction out of me. Some because the event was actually kind of funny, and some as a kind of nervous laugh due to not knowing how else to react:

-Evangelion Unit 01, at times. Just because of the way it moved and the sounds it made. It reminded me of some big, stupid beast with the way it seemed to react sometimes, even though the soul of an intelligent being resided within it. The parts I'm thinking of in particular are: the point in episode 20 where Shinji synchronized with it by 400%, and it was slowly looking around at everything and growling; in EoE when it bursted its way out of GNR's forehead eye and made that brief roar after Shinji rejected Instrumentality. It was all like, "Fuck you, forehead eye!"

-I don't remember what episode it was, but the point when Asuka really started to lose it, and they looped the same animations of her over and over again (by the fifth or sixth loop. Someone else actually chuckled at it first, and that's what probably got me.)

-In EoE, Shinji's hysterical grin as he is confronted by GNR for the first time. I realize he was freaking out at the sight, but that face...

-In EoE, when GNR passed through Maya, the way Maya freaked out. Although I might do something similar if that happened to me...

That's all I've got for now. I assure you all that I think NGE is awesome, and these things I found "unintentionally funny" did not detract from the experience for me at all, and were in fact far and in between. In short, I'm starting this thread as a way to bash Eva; just making observations, and seeing if anyone else has any similar observations. Furthermore, if I suck for posting this thread for some other reason, my deepest apologies. Anyhoo...
...a second chance is all you have left...
...remember why you cling to this gift...
-BS2

Me: I can see it, I can taste it, I can smell it!
Annihilationscape: Sounds like a whore to me!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:12 pm

I got a chuckle (in repeated viewings, anyway) from psycho-shinji's leer at zeruel in anticipation of a satisfying 'pop' noise when that head he was pulling on finally came off.

Asuka's similar reaction to shotgunning one of the MPE's in the face with the pylon-mounted spike gun also amused me.

...but come to think of it, why the hell didn't she use that trick in ep8?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:25 pm

the angel and eva voices in the Japanese audio track.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:50 pm

Shinji masturbating to Asuka's comatose form.

[/hell]
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:54 pm

The Kaji/Misato sex marathon(s)
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 am

InB4 Shammy looks like a penis.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:53 am

ZapalacX wrote:InB4 Shammy looks like a penis.

Gah, beat me to it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Shinji's screams in the dub (Especially the EoE dub)

Mitsuishi Kotono butchering the phrase "You are number one."

That little rainbow that appears when Shinji accidentally gropes Rei.

Black Hyuga.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:14 pm

The beaky nose of that one Seele guy...but I feel guilty for and compassionate about that, too...
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:36 pm

Aoba muttering "Speak of the devil..." in EoE.

The creepy grin on GNR when she's disintegrating toward the end of EoE.

And of course, Fuyutsuki facepalming at the end of Episode nine :: Points to sig::
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Aoba was awesome in EoE. Such a sarcastic bastard.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:30 pm

All of episode 19.

Whether it was Eva-01 sounding like an orgasming monkey, the fate of Zeruel, or Asuka failing miserably, episode 19 was just too unintentially funny.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:54 pm

While this was not my reaction the first time I saw this, I read someone's reaction to the scene in which Asuka was being 'mind-raped' by Aerael (sp? was that the right one even...?), and the "Hallelujah!" chorus played, and they laughed...

Ever since then I, too, have chuckled during that particular scene... even though the music is actually quite beautifully placed, with its joyful refrains and message versus the awful thing happening to Asuka.

Also, most of Shinj and Asuka's 'friendly' interactions shortly after she was first introduced were, looking back, probably deceptively funny... While they might make you laugh at first, knowing what we know now might make looking back on those scenes seem just a bit more bleak. There is an undercurrent of deep truth running through their bickerings.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Annihilationscape wrote:While this was not my reaction the first time I saw this, I read someone's reaction to the scene in which Asuka was being 'mind-raped' by Aerael (sp? was that the right one even...?), and the "Hallelujah!" chorus played, and they laughed...

Ever since then I, too, have chuckled during that particular scene... even though the music is actually quite beautifully placed, with its joyful refrains and message versus the awful thing happening to Asuka.

Seconded, and I can't hear the Hallelujah Chorus without thinking of that particular scene.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:11 pm

OH GOD BLACK HYUGA
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:52 pm

The masturbating scene in EoE.

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:13 pm

slothen wrote:OH GOD BLACK HYUGA

Ditto! I love his almost cutely ghetto inflection on the line "DAMN! Don't they know the meaning of moderation?!" It;s just south of being "DAYMN!"

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:57 pm

~EoE dubSpike Spencer screams. I just lose it and start laughing. Sad, considering it's NOT supposed to be funny...

~Pencil breaking guy in episode 01.

~Dub Black Hyuga in EoE.

~Hyuga's "Good morning" to Misato in EoE...not such a nice morning with 3I around the corner, now is it?

~I can't remember exact details with this one scene, but either some guy getting stepped on or somebody flailing about before they died that just makes me lose it. Somewhere in the series as opposed to EoE, I'm just not sure where.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:42 pm

I laugh every time when Misato goes like "it's not like I'm going to molest him you know" in ep 2

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:27 pm

I almost forgot - in EoE, in the dub, the flamethrower scene!

::FWOOOSH::

NERV Guy: Aaaaauuugghhhh!!!

Soldier: Hit 'em again!

::FWOOOSH::

NERV Guy: Aaaaauuugghhhh!!!

Soooo terrible, and yet... classic!
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”