Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Berserk

•      
  •      

Postby Xxx_Generic Name_Xxx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:40 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's one of the more traumatic scenes in media in general, honestly.

And when the Evas attacked the Unit 02 like some crows made me almost faint.
Asuka Langley Soryu is our Lord and Saviour.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:47 pm

My first time reading, I struggled with both the inquisition and those fucking trolls. I wouldn't say anything about the work has traumatized me -- since that's a very, very strong word I'd probably reserve for things that happen directly to me or those I know and care about most -- but it is very good at producing a sense of emotional fatigue.

By the time I got to stuff like nonstop Ganishka demons and maritime tentacle monsters, I think the sense of fatigue was a bit different, like, "Damnit, I love you, Miura, and this is all divine yo look at, but get to the fookin' point already!"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:57 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I think the sense of fatigue was a bit different, like, "Damnit, I love you, Miura, and this is all divine yo look at, but get to the fookin' point already!"

This sums up the entire manga at this point to me unfortunately. I was talking with my roomie about it and well no matter what Miura does at this point he's dragged his feet along way too much for the series to end in a satisfactory way. Why haven't the God Hand been involved in a more direct way? Unfortunately the way the story is structured he's written himself into some Super Sentai esque final fight between "Good Guys" and "Bad Guys." Having the God Hand be behind some evil occurances and Guts slowly slogging through them as "Generals" to arcs would've shown a better progression of strength and build up until a final showdown. At least that's my opinion to be honest I'm not currently caught up with the manga because again it feels like it's dragging its feet so much what's the rush?

Also as an aside, remember a while ago they showed off those cool God Hand figma at a wonfes? I swear that instead of making advertising for them they just spread the budget across 25 episodes and decided to make a new anime instead.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:00 pm

I marathon-caught-up to Berserk some time ago, but from what I recall there were some interesting new developments that went against the idea of Berserk falling into any kind of strict good vs. evil dichotomy. The new Team Falcon with its less monstrous, more virtuous, and altogether mysterious Apostles, for instance. Also, if I understand correctly, the Godhand haven't been more directly involved because they had no presence in the "real world" and had to indirectly manipulate it with behelits, but since the physical and astral planes were recently fused by Skully-sama this is likely to change. Probably about time I did a re-read, as if I needed more distractions. <_<
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:24 pm

"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:35 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:NSFW:
Local Rape Horse saves Berserk anime

. . . wat?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:44 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:. . . wat?

(she doesnt actually get raped, it's just a massive community in joke)
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:34 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:. . . wat?

What are you even doing in here if you, I'm assuming, haven't read the manga or watched any of the anime? (If you know what's good for you, you'll read up through the tower of conviction at least...)

First impressions of third episode is that it was really rushed and incoherent -- nothing new there! Also, CLAAAAANG. The post-credits stuff was bizarre in placement i.e. felt out of nowhere, but at least it was all/mostly actual 2D.

At least Mozgus and his blocky head should translate less painfully into 3D. Though I'm already imagining N64-esque texture mapping for his mad face...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:39 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:NSFW:
Local Rape Horse saves Berserk anime

Shit like this is why I dropped the series. . .

:urk:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:41 pm

You clearly lack an appreciation for the finer things.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:45 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Shit like this is why I dropped the series. . .

:urk:

Ray stop acting like you actually read berserk, you skimmed through it at most, if you actually read it you would wouldn't act this way anytime someone brought up something from it.

View Original PostReichu wrote:What are you even doing in here if you, I'm assuming, haven't read the manga or watched any of the anime? (If you know what's good for you, you'll read up through the tower of conviction at least...)

First impressions of third episode is that it was really rushed and incoherent -- nothing new there! Also, CLAAAAANG. The post-credits stuff was bizarre in placement i.e. felt out of nowhere, but at least it was all/mostly actual 2D.

At least Mozgus and his blocky head should translate less painfully into 3D. Though I'm already imagining N64-esque texture mapping for his mad face...

They already have a model, just ask fromsoft for their totally not Mozgus one from DS3
(it would probably look less awkward pasted in there than whatever they will actually come up with, better animations too)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:55 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Ray stop acting like you actually read berserk, you skimmed through it at most, if you actually read it you would wouldn't act this way anytime someone brought up something from it.

We already talked about this in pm. . . I read it up to Vol 13 on a scanlations website, and a while after that, before I just gave up on it.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:00 pm

And I will continue to never believe you because if you read for even a bit after vol 13 you would already know Berserk started moving in the direction of positive change literally right after lost children, it's the entire point of the conviction arc.
Vol 13 was meant to be as horrific as possible for both characters and readers to explain just exactly WHY guts is so fucked up in black swordsman, also Casca probably (im hoping anyway) is getting healed soon so it's fine, we get second best girl back, only second because farnese happened inbetween events and she's the best.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:47 pm

In Berserk, when things start going right. . . that's good reason to start being worried the other shoe is going to drop, and drop HARD. At this point I've accepted Casca (probably) isn't getting any better. It's only been TWENTY YEARS.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:00 pm

Except things have only been going right for guts ever since conviction and that was 15 years ago, shit even the tone of the series has adjusted to Gut's mood, the series is still very dark but nothing since the troll cave has ever been eclipse/black swordsman levels and for good reason.
Also you cant say casca is never getting better without actually reading the new stuff, most of casca's problem stems from the fact her brain cant deal with what happened to her combined with the pain caused by the brand (remember how much it hurts just when an apostle is NEAR now remember what happened to casca) caused her mind to hide away to protect itself, now cut to modern berserk, witches have already been shown as having the ability to get inside people's heads and help them, schierke saves guts from the berserker armours influence several times with this power, now take that and amplify it by about 100 mages and a goddamn magical elf king.

I think it's safe to say they can probably recover casca's mind.
Last edited by Rosenakahara on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:06 pm

From an interview published in 2000 (source here; worth reading):

–Is it even possible that we’ll see a happy ending?

Miura: I’d say it’s possible. I used to have the final moves planned out, but lately I’ve been thinking I’d rather figure them out when I come to it, so now it’s hard to say what could happen. Being the sort of person I am, though, I actually don’t think I could let such a long grim story end with a grim ending — like, say, having him suddenly die. I don’t really like that kind of entertainment. I’ll leave it to my subconscious.

Emphasis mine. This doesn't speak directly to Casca's fate per se, but it does intimate that Miura is the "sort of person" who wants the characters' suffering to build up to something that isn't pointlessly bleak. So, for the time being, I'll be quietly optimistic that Casca gets at least a little better (like, becomes capable of speech again).

@Rosenakahara: THOSE TROLLS. I HATE THOSE FUCKIN' TROLLS.
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:08 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:@Rosenakahara: THOSE TROLLS. I HATE THOSE FUCKIN' TROLLS.

Everyone hates the trolls, EVERYONE

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:54 am

You know, I wonder -- I think some of the principals at sk.net put Berserk on such a pedestal even the trolls might be beyond criticism. I personally blame the trolls for disgusting and demoralizing me so much I had to put Berserk down for a while and start over from the beginning years later. I love this manga, but I'd be lying if I said I loved everything in it. :tongue:

So I was just watching some of the fan edit Berserk Redux, and it forced upon me the somber realization that the 3DCG in the Golden Age trilogy looks godly compared to this new series. Howisthisevenpossible
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:55 pm

I'm a huge fan of the original anime. I don't read manga, so don't tell me to do it. I was really excited to finally have a continuation. And I like the story so far, but dear God the CGI animation is HORRIBLE. And then, the times they bless us with a few hand drawn frames, they look INCREDIBLE. Why do they do this to us? Why can't it all be hand-animated? Or at least the majority hand-animated? I'd even accept it if dialogue/non-action scenes were hand-animated, and they used CGI for the actions scenes. Ugh.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:04 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:First impressions of third episode is that it was really rushed and incoherent -- nothing new there! Also, CLAAAAANG.

I like the clang. It conveys the absolute absurdity of that weapon really well.

The post-credits stuff was bizarre in placement i.e. felt out of nowhere, but at least it was all/mostly actual 2D.

That did seem kinda weird, yeah.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Anime and Manga”