Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Berserk

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:29 am

I think Berserk is a pretty cool guy. eh fights god hand and doesn't afraid of anything.

So, like, I first saw the Berserk anime some time in 2005. Pretty sweet; shoestring budget and all, but, hey, I'm used to that. Then I saw the ending, and it made me go "WHAT". So I downloaded some manga, and the shitty fan translations and the little androgynous pixie-thing made me go "WHAT" again. So I put the manga on my Christmas list, but I only got 1-4, and... I never finished reading all of them anyway.

But now! I finally watched the anime again, and realized that, NO, I never DID find out what happened! So while I've been sick the past few days, I've been destroying my chances of getting better by suffering through some truly insidious fan-work, and I just went to Amazon and bought all the Berserk mangoos my Christmas money could buy. Which, compared to how many there are total, wasn't a lot. Why, Dark Horse, why must your actually literate translations cost so much?!? RAEG OF GUTS!!!!

I forget what I was talking about. Discuss why Berserk is awesome and why Miuda is a sick, twisted fuck who should never release his own line of sex toys (...or SHOULD he?).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:11 am

CROSSBOW CANNON ARM.

That is all.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:42 am

The series rocks so fucking hard. They should digitally replace Eva-01 with a giant Guts, who destroys everything in his path. The only thing is, he wouldn't let a little pussy like Shinji pilot him. Maybe they could find someone more awesome to do that, like Kamina.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:50 am

Then he has to fight Sophisticated Gamera.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:42 am

I watched the Abridged Series. I suppose that was good.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:41 pm

For as amazingly awesome the Anime is, the things that happen in the Manga after what happens in the Anime is Jaw Dropping. What i like about it most is that the entire anime/manga has so much talk of destiny but Guts entire point is to completely go against all this, even when it takes the most insane actions to do this. Its a Man vs God sort of thing, and its very well done.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:31 pm

Guts kicks reason to the curb and goes beyond the impossible.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:36 pm

honsou wrote:the things that happen in the Manga after what happens in the Anime is Jaw Dropping.

I still haven't gotten too far in the manga, so plenty of goodies in store. To ease the most immediate sense of "ZOMG WUT" from the anime's ending, I read from shortly before the Eclipse to when Guts sets out from Godo's (again), and now I'm (re)reading the initial volumes. A little roundabout, but... so is the manga, I guess.

I know the odd bit about what happens in volume 14 and after, but for the most part it should be a pleasant surprise. ...I'm looking forward to the mysterious boy.

What i like about it most is that the entire anime/manga has so much talk of destiny but Guts entire point is to completely go against all this

As of yet, the fate/destiny stuff hasn't quite captivated me. They talk about it a lot, and they have all this supernatural hocus pocus to "back it up", but, I dunno, it's all kind of meh so far -- i.e., I don't really care. The exception would be the retconned-out chapter "God of the Abyss Pt.2"...

Okay, more about that later.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:51 pm

At lot of the fate and destiny stuff happens Eclipse. Not to spoil anything but the world after the Eclipse is bat shit insane. And some of the other stuff that you see in the early series is given a good explanation.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:57 pm

Just watched the Abridged Series that Bastard King mentioned. Pretty funny stuff.

I'm currently in volume 22 of the manga, with SPOILERS Griffith starting up a new Band of the Hawk. This manga is disturbingly intense and intensely disturbing; I wonder how Miura has gotten away with showing half the stuff that's in it. Man, I don't even know where to begin...

Though, I guess in a feeble attempt to keep this thread from totally dying, I'll ask how many folks here (besides honsou, anyway) have read at least some of the manga (anime is good, too, but it's incomplete and not nearly as grisly), and if you have any thoughts beyond the "Guts is awesome and the epitome of manliness" type.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:11 pm

I seen a few episodes of the series and I like it. I hope I get can the series on DVD one day.
Last edited by Guyver Spawn on Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:11 pm

Well Reichu, now you know why the rest of the manga couldn't of been shown on tv...even in Japan.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:32 pm

Berserk is...well, I have a low-key ambivalence towards it.

The arc with the original Band of the Hawk is great: lots of strong, poweful characters (in more than one way), and Griffith is awesome.

Afterwards, well, it's disturbing and intense, but I sometimes find all its shocking shockingness to become a little tedious, and the plot, while it's a good plot, seems to drag a lot.

Berserk Abridged made me laugh. Hard.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:32 pm

I've been catching up. Overwhelming is the word I'd use to describe what happens in the manga. I've never seen the anime and knowing that they simply cannot show 60% of the manga, I doubt I ever will...

Guts is awesome and while I am normally fond of badass characters, I can say that I would not argue if he were at the top of the list of the all-time greats.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:31 pm

Annihilationscape wrote:Guts is awesome ... at the top of the list of the all-time greats.

He did win SaiGAR '07 for a reason.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:53 pm

Ahh, I had not heard. Good stuff.

The thing about Guts is, he's so beyond belief brutal... And as he proved during a certain highly disturbing scene, he's willing to hack off his own arm (with a broken knife!!!) to fight evil. This guy will stop at nothing. Nothing.

That is badassery.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:19 pm

Well to say it was just to fight "evil" wouldn't do it justice. He was seeing the love of his life raped brutally by his former best friend. The pure rage on his face made the entire scene. The guy is nuts but its quite reasonable why hes so fucking crazy. Oh and Puck is awesome

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:49 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Annihilationscape wrote:Guts is awesome ... at the top of the list of the all-time greats.

He did win SaiGAR '07 for a reason.

Master Asia won, good sir. 4chan just did it wrong.
Last edited by The Bastard King on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:40 am

Really...Master Asia? Well that award now means nothing...i mean it probably already did mean nothing but that's just ridiculous

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:43 am

Well to say it was just to fight "evil" wouldn't do it justice. He was seeing the love of his life raped brutally by his former best friend. The pure rage on his face made the entire scene.

True; I was attempting to avoid spoiling that for others, but oh well ;)

Also, wasn't Griffith not necessarily his friend, or at least he did not really consider Guts to be his friend, and that was where the trouble began?

Oh well, at any rate, Guts is insane, truly, but that makes him no less badass. It makes him more so!

Return to “Anime and Manga”