Terminal Dogma: Essays on Neon Genesis Evangelion

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

kaos [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kaos [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:10 pm

From http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9591

Anime News Netowork wrote:Brian Ruh, author of Stray Dog of Anime: The Films of Mamoru Oshii and the maintainer of Anime Research has announced an upcoming tome of essays dealing with Neon Genesis Evangelion, tentatively titled Terminal Dogma: Essays on Neon Genesis Evangelion.

The volume, edited and compiled by Brian Ruh, will focus not only on the show itself, but also how Evangelions has been discussed, marketed, and understood. Another purpose of the volume is to foster dialogue between academics studying anime and anime fans. As such, Ruh is requesting essay submissions not only from academics, but from anime fans as well.

Aspects covered by the chapters could include (but are certainly not
limited to):

Psychoanalysis and Evangelion
Narrative structures of the TV series / films
The reception of Evangelion (both in Japan and in other countries)
Evangelion on DVD
The merchandising of Evangelion
Evangelion manga
Evangelion video games
The role of Evangelion in anime canon formation
Evangelion in the context of Hideaki Anno?s / Gainax?s other works
Evangelion?s references to previous anime
Music in Evangelion
Evangelion fanfiction / doujinshi
Animators / animation techniques in Evangelion
Evangelion fandom / websites / shrines
Language use / translating Evangelion

Final essays will be around 5000 words. Please send proposals of 500-700 words or completed essays as well as a brief CV / personal bio to the editor at evabook[at]gmail.com
Deadline: December 31, 2006
I'm guessing that some people around here could make some good sumbissions. Any takers?

Originally posted on: 02-Oct-2006, 18:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:10 pm

For some reason, the concept of writing essays for a tome edited by some guy I've never heard of, slated for actual Dead Tree publication, and intended to have academic applications terrifies me. (And in terms of CVs, I'm an unqualified nobody.)

Originally posted on: 02-Oct-2006, 19:21 GMT

CanonRAP [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CanonRAP [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Why is a CV or bio needed? To prove that you can be trusted on your written work?

Does being an anime/NGE fan automatically make you smart now?

Originally posted on: 02-Oct-2006, 21:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

CanonRAP wrote:Why is a CV or bio needed? To prove that you can be trusted on your written work?

Does being an anime/NGE fan automatically make you smart now?
Given the academic slant, having fancy pieces of paper to wave around would probably increase one's chances of getting published in this thing...

I'm already seeing Sean McCoy lining up for the psychoanalysis essay.

Originally posted on: 02-Oct-2006, 21:35 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Reichu wrote:I'm already seeing Sean McCoy lining up for the psychoanalysis essay.
And being included. Image

Reichu wrote:Given the academic slant, having fancy pieces of paper to wave around would probably increase one's chances of getting published in this thing...
Of course, but imagining widely increased odds assumes he'll receive enough essays from acadamia to edge out all the nobodies. How many will be enough? And what is fancy? Intelligible?

Originally posted on: 04-Oct-2006, 04:09 GMT

CanonRAP [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CanonRAP [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Does anyone get a weird feeling that this will become NGE-Wiki 2.0?

Originally posted on: 04-Oct-2006, 22:09 GMT

Leader Desslock [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Leader Desslock [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:10 pm

I think that anyone who doesn't contribute an essay (accepted or not) to the project voids all right to criticize or ridicule it when it's finally released.

Originally posted on: 04-Oct-2006, 23:25 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Hexon.Arq wrote:Of course, but imagining widely increased odds assumes he'll receive enough essays from acadamia to edge out all the nobodies. How many will be enough? And what is fancy? Intelligible?
Ah, by "fancy pieces of paper", I was referring to credentials. (Like those various certificates printed on parchment, with some embossing, and calligraphy, and one's name proudly displayed in the middle.)

Desslock wrote:I think that anyone who doesn't contribute an essay (accepted or not) to the project voids all right to criticize or ridicule it when it's finally released.
True enough. I don't have any excuses not to send something in.

Originally posted on: 05-Oct-2006, 04:02 GMT

PronsAmuro [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PronsAmuro [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

I sent in a huge thing about why I hate Evangelion.
Then I included a picture of Ideon on a surfboard doing the hang loose sign.

Originally posted on: 05-Oct-2006, 04:12 GMT

Dan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dan [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Im surprised no one is considering answering this challenge. Or at least claiming they will, however full of hot air they really might be.

I'm seriously thinking about it, and the possibility of publication is a huge motivation. Not sure which aspect of the list I should focus on, the majority of submissions will probably be on phychoanalysis, which I wouldn't even want to approach.

I'll let you guys know if it happens.

Originally posted on: 09-Oct-2006, 01:25 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Good for you Dan^^
I could never myself, any "insight" I may be able to spew would be mild comapred to someone a bit more "with it" in this field of sorts.

Originally posted on: 09-Oct-2006, 01:31 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Dan wrote:Im surprised no one is considering answering this challenge.
One of the people who is got banninated. As for the rest, perhaps they simply do not feel like declaring it to the world in a loud, booming voice.

Naturally, I'll hate myself forever if I don't try.

Originally posted on: 09-Oct-2006, 03:25 GMT

CanonRAP [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CanonRAP [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Reichu wrote:As for the rest, perhaps they simply do not feel like declaring it to the world in a loud, booming voice.
I feel fine declaring myself in a small voice to my own little corner of the world. I don't expect NGE to have an enormous jump in popularity just because a giant tome about it suddenly show up in bookstores.

Originally posted on: 09-Oct-2006, 16:35 GMT

Dan [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dan [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

CanonRAP wrote:I feel fine declaring myself in a small voice to my own little corner of the world. I don't expect NGE to have an enormous jump in popularity just because a giant tome about it suddenly show up in bookstores.
I dont think popularity is the point. Actually the reason I'm interested in this is because it looks like its targeted for academic essays, not just plot comprehension like most of the fan community centers on.

Originally posted on: 09-Oct-2006, 16:41 GMT

CanonRAP [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CanonRAP [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Dan wrote:I dont think popularity is the point. Actually the reason I'm interested in this is because it looks like its targeted for academic essays, not just plot comprehension like most of the fan community centers on.
No no, I realise that, I was just saying that as an aside. My point was that I prefer 'going nameless'.

Originally posted on: 10-Oct-2006, 21:36 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Reichu wrote:One of the people who is got banninated.
O RLY? And who would that be?

I've already had several topics approved, and I've sent in a 1000 word introduction to one article. I've started outlining my second article, hopefully that will be done by the end of the week and I'll have received a critique on my first entry so I can revise and extend into the main body of the article.

I'm going gung ho on this. I expect to write at least one article for this book. But in total I'm planning four.

Ideally, I expect to have four full length articles finalized by the approval deadline. If any of them get cut, I can just publish them online.

Originally posted on: 11-Oct-2006, 01:44 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

aaronc1 wrote:O RLY? And who would that be?
Not you, of course. Image

I should write that guy sometime soon. What exactly is December the deadline for...?

Originally posted on: 11-Oct-2006, 04:10 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

December 31st would be the deadline for proposals. Not complete articles. Although I imagine that the further developed the article the better.

Originally posted on: 11-Oct-2006, 04:52 GMT

Quiddity [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity [ANF] » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Very interesting, perhaps I'll submit something myself (already have plenty of stuff on Eva Monkey's site Image). An article on Eva's influences would definately be something interesting to write about, especially if it gives such shows more exposure.

Originally posted on: 12-Oct-2006, 01:09 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Quiddity wrote:Very interesting, perhaps I'll submit something myself (already have plenty of stuff on Eva Monkey's site Image). An article on Eva's influences would definately be something interesting to write about, especially if it gives such shows more exposure.
That would certainly be interesting to do. Not only what influenced Evangelion, but what it in turn influenced. You can also adress the issues of creativity of narrative works. There is that huge argument of creativity and originality. I would very much like to see you restructure your arguments in your previous writings into a larger article. It would be a must for the volume.

Originally posted on: 12-Oct-2006, 01:13 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”