In EOE Evangelion Unit 01... *spoilers*

Over time, notable threads from ANF will be preserved here for the Benefit of All.

Moderators: Ornette, Monk Ed

felineki [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 49
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby felineki [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 am

Rachel is right, but the thought of Evas naturally having hair and the NERV staff having to deal with it is amusing, if nothing else. "Unit-01's up for another shave tomorrow... make sure you get under the arms this time."

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 05:10 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 am

felineki wrote:"Unit-01's up for another shave tomorrow... make sure you get under the arms this time."


Image You're such a riot... [Reminds me of the times I've contemplated how NERV handles the cutting of the Evas' nails...]

I do wonder, though... The folks in "The Matrix" were hairless and covered with skin-implanted electrodes, not unlike the Evas. I'm not sure what the scientific reason for them not growing hair is (I'm not a Matrix guru), but, assuming there IS a reason, there is the slightest chance that Evas in their natural condition might grow hair. I sincerely doubt it, though. The mere thought is... ::gag::

And just as an addendum, here is a beautiful screenshot of Yui-sama hacking up the Longinus no yari. (I wish DVD caps looked this good.) I really wonder exactly what the mechanics behind it are, just like I wonder how on Earth that awful "armor" survived Yui-sama's assimilation into the "Tree of Life" and subsequent separation from Uber-Rei, but, erm, nevermind...

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 05:33 GMT

felineki [ANF]
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 49
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby felineki [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:00 am

Reichu wrote:Image You're such a riot... [Reminds me of the times I've contemplated how NERV handles the cutting of the Evas' nails...]


Well, I suppose you could just chalk it up to more Gainax inconsistencies, but their nails do seem to vary in terms of length and pointiness at various times in the series, so NERV must do -something- about it. ::p

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 05:56 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 624
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

One Very Old Rumor from Animeboards says that one of the artbooks actually has a picture of Eva with hair. But I have to assume that's not true, because you experts probably have every piece of Eva-related stuff in your collections, those artbooks included.

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 09:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

Dr. Nick wrote:One Very Old Rumor from Animeboards says that one of the artbooks actually has a picture of Eva with hair. But I have to assume that's not true, because you experts probably have every piece of Eva-related stuff in your collections, those artbooks included.


I don't know if I qualify as an "expert" in anything, but the picture you are referring to is quite real. It was published in the collection of Ikuto Yamashita's NGE-related work (which includes the first part of his script for a NGE movie, frighteningly enough), Sore o nasumono: "Shinseiki Evangelion" Concept Design Works[/u]. I'm not sure what the caption to the image says (need to try translating it again one of these days), but I can say one thing for sure: I'm glad as he11 the Evas didn't end up looking like this. [Image is about half a megabyte, BTW -- dialup users beware.]

Originally posted on: 27-Aug-2003, 14:04 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 153
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

I have that pic.....When I first saw it, I thought there's no way that it could be cannonImage

Originally posted on: 28-Aug-2003, 00:33 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 624
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am



Oh my god! With a hair like that I assume the series' soundtrack would have consisted more music from Scorpions, Dio and Mammoth!
*imitates Beavis & Butthead -style airguitar playing* Image -o-;

Originally posted on: 28-Aug-2003, 09:19 GMT

saiyajin prince [ANF]
Tunniel
User avatar
Posts: 153
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby saiyajin prince [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

ImageImage

[Edit]
Dino....I assume..

Originally posted on: 29-Aug-2003, 01:28 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Posts: 624
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

saiyajin prince wrote:ImageImage

[Edit]
Dino....I assume..


Just Dio:

Image

Originally posted on: 29-Aug-2003, 07:26 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

Dr. Nick wrote:Just Dio:

Image


ROCK ON!

Originally posted on: 29-Aug-2003, 22:34 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

It was a disappointing way that this thread died the way it did. But I continue to believe that Yui's death is a possibleity (I don't believe I can prove it), and what to make people here accept it AS a theroy. I hope to beable to form a stronger stance then I did almost a year ago.

I will first introduce a fact that many have ignored when approching the topic. Why would Gendo have a differnt plan then Seele? The only answer I can come up with, without bring Yui into the factor, is just a differnce of opinion. Or Gendo just wants to play it dangerous. When we factor in Yui... well then... we can come to the conclusion that some how Gendo's plan will being him closer to Yui then Seele's plan.

We know that in Seele's plan Unit 01 will become the "vessle for all humanity" and will take all of the souls into itself, and become the "God". But Yui might not become one with all of those souls, but stay a single being so that the Evangelion will live on and not just be a vessle, but a living creature. This is a shaky theroy. Not really based on anything other then Gendo himself.

Gendo's plan would use Adam and Lillith. The combined form of the two would become the "vessle" dor all humanity and take in all the souls. In this way, Yui would become one with lillith also. "Must one who is born from adam return to adam" we can assume that also, "Must one who is born from lillith return to lillith." Using this plan, Gendo would get to be with Yui.


On Yui's death, Gendo went mad. We don't know if he knew what would happen. Perhaps Yui planned everything behind his back with seele, but after it happened the Human instermentality project was approved. AFTER they knew it was possible to fuse a soul into Unit 01.

"Thank you too my father, Good bye to my mother"

We can take this quote in two ways. Shinji has finally come to terms with the fact that his mother is dead, OR he is in that moment saying good bye to her. As at the very end of episode 26' . All of the other times Yui has appeared to Shinji, 16, 20, 26. Shinji was inside the Evangelion. (26 is theroy, based on IF it is in sync with episode 26') Except for the final goodbye in Episdoe 26'! In that last visit with his mother Shinji is floating up out of the LCL, as Yui floats down into the LCL, not into space where the Evangelion has gone.

Now I know that you can say that Rei being next to Unit 01 could of made this connection, but then why would the Evangelion shut down. Unit 01 has the S^2 now, it has no reason to shut down. It is no longer controled by humans.


I will organize my theroy better later on. (I say this too much)

Originally posted on: 01-Jul-2004, 21:50 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3651
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

Gundampilotspaz wrote:Except for the final goodbye in Episdoe 26'! In that last visit with his mother Shinji is floating up out of the LCL, as Yui floats down into the LCL, not into space where the Evangelion has gone.


Shinji floats "up" towards Earth. Yui is floating down AWAY from Earth -- ergo, into space with her Eva body.

Now I know that you can say that Rei being next to Unit 01 could of made this connection, but then why would the Evangelion shut down. Unit 01 has the S^2 now, it has no reason to shut down. It is no longer controled by humans.


That scene has confounded me, since they show EVA-01 turning gray the same way that the harpies do when they petrify. Yet the last time we see her (which IMO is a glimpse into the distant future, after our solar syste dies), she is clearly not "petrified" (and has even grown a headful of hair, apparently :shiver: ). Perhaps Rei was just seeing Yui off, and the "shutting down" signified Yui going into dormancy for her long journey to ... wherever. If you were just floating in space with nothing fun to do, you'd probably take a nice long nap too.

Originally posted on: 02-Jul-2004, 06:29 GMT

Gaizokubanou [ANF]
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 55
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gaizokubanou [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

Well, yes eva does stop glowing and Rei's appearance might mean something, but the whole point was that eva will exist forever, and the whole scene might be proposing an idea that it will last beyond life/death.

Originally posted on: 02-Jul-2004, 20:57 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 248
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

Yeh the whole reason that Yui went into the Eva in the first place was so she could be a final testament that mankind exists. In many works of literature and art and anime humanities greatest fear is often not dying but not being remembered. Asuka has this fear of "returning to nothing" and "disapearing." This is reference to dying but it is also reference to the fact that she wants people to know she exists. When she was a child her mother treated her as if she didn't exist and that really messed her up. It is a very recurent theme in Eva.

Originally posted on: 02-Jul-2004, 14:06 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:01 am

( Just Right NOW finished rewatching EOE)


Before you read this this is an imcomplete post. I have images, but can't upload them now. I'll finish it later, I'm sorry.

I want to make it clear that I cannot prove this, even to myself, beyound a shadow of a doubt, but I do believe it as a possiblity. And I did believe it when I made this post. I want to open up the window to the possiblity that it may be true.


Yes, the reason Yui wanted to go into the Evangelion was to be a lasting testiment to the exsistence of the human race.

Shinji: But mother... what will you do?

(Flashback to 13 years ago - Fuyutsuki, Yui and infant-Shinji)

Fuyutsuki:
Humans create Evangelion to copy God... Is this our true goal?

Yui:
Yes. Humans can only live on this planet, but Evangelion can live forever... together with the human soul that dwells within it.

(EVA-01 and the Lance of Longinus float in space)

Even after 5 billion years, when the Earth, the Moon, and even the Sun have disappeared, it will still exist as long as even one person still lives. It will be very lonely, but as long as that one person still lives...

Fuyutsuki:
It will be the eternal proof that humankind has existed...

Shinji:
Good-bye, mother.


This is pretty much agenst everything I'm tring to say. And it is strong that Yui still lives, and always will live inside the Evangelion. But I think that Anno may intend for us to read behind the lines. Rei ONLY ever appeared before someone who was about to die, or to turn them into LCL.


If you look at Rei's face, her eyes, her mouth, she has the same blank expression both images.



But this together with Gendo's true purpose, be one with Yui. Gendo could not of been reunited with Yui IF Yui is forever trapped within the Evangelion. Gendo's plan must somehow cause the end of the life of Unit 01.

Yui (voice):
Don't worry.
All living things have the ability to return to their original form... and the heart to go on living.
Anywhere can be heaven as long as you have the will to live.
After all, you're alive... and you can find the chance to achieve happiness anywhere.


Said right before Rei appear before Yui. This can mean two things. Yui has choose to leave the Evangelion, or Yui choose to continue living inside the Evangelion and find happiess. Or its simply a message to Shinji.



The information on both sides is shaky. But the most powerful part of this theroy is that Gendo wants to be reunited with Yui, and he can't do that while Yui is inside the Evangelion.

Originally posted on: 02-Jul-2004, 17:43 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 248
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 am

Well Rei apeared before Shinji twice and didn't kill him. Once in the beg ep 1 and the in the end of EOE.

This can be seen as significant that at the beggining and end Shinji sees Rei but I don't know how.

Originally posted on: 02-Jul-2004, 17:57 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 am

Washu-chan wrote:Well Rei apeared before Shinji twice and didn't kill him. Once in the beg ep 1 and the in the end of EOE.

This can be seen as significant that at the beggining and end Shinji sees Rei but I don't know how.


I am still also tring to place that. Other then the begining and end of Shinji's adventure. It must mean something more then just the begining and end though.

Originally posted on: 02-Jul-2004, 18:05 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 925
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 am

I thought I already explained the significance of the cut where Rei appears before EVA-01 here...

Originally posted on: 02-Jul-2004, 19:06 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 am

Shin-seiki wrote:I thought I already explained the significance of the cut where Rei appears before EVA-01 here...


There is one thing wrong with what you say. When Rei appeared before them to "Make the connection with Shinji", they died right after Rei appeared.

The final water drop scene could be the final farewell. Yui movimg into the sea of LCL, Shinji leaving and returning to physical form.

Originally posted on: 03-Jul-2004, 08:26 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael
User avatar
Posts: 925
Joined: Oct 19, 2007

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 am

Gundampilotspaz wrote:There is one thing wrong with what you say. When Rei appeared before them to "Make the connection with Shinji", they died right after Rei appeared.
I don't follow your reasoning; why should that be a problem? Keep in mind that time and space don't seem to constrain Rei, once she returns to Lilith and becomes a god-like being, like they do ordinary mortals. (Rei is linking the mind/souls of Misato and Ritsuko, who are killed off in #25', to the Instrumentality Sequence that Shinji undergoes in #26') Like I said, it's all very metaphysical...

The final water drop scene could be the final farewell. Yui movimg into the sea of LCL, Shinji leaving and returning to physical form.
Yui is shown moving away from Shinji into space, while Shinji is moving towards earth (and the surface of the LCL). We then see Shinji bob up in the LCL, back in the real world, and then Yui/EVA-01 float off into space. "Goodbye, Mother" I think it takes an ingenious contortion of logic and common sense to say that this all actually means the opposite of what it plainly appears to mean...

Originally posted on: 02-Jul-2004, 21:07 GMT


Return to “AnimeNation Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests