NewType fantasy-cast poll for Live-Action Eva

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

V
Banned

NewType fantasy-cast poll for Live-Action Eva

Postby V » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:18 pm

NewType magazine in Japan recently conducted a reader poll of who would be in their fantasy-cast for a theoretical Live Action Evangelion movie series

this does not in any way reflect actual casting ideas for LAEM

http://gnn.gamer.com.tw/4/32994.html
http://giapet.net/2008/10/20/a-few-words-plus-eva-fantasy-casting/

Ultimately it was even less serious than that old AnimeInsider wishlist which put Ian McKellen as Fuyutsuki; that is, just picking big name popular actors that vaguely fit the age description rather than anyone who would accurately fit the character:

For Rei Ayanami, they picked: Mitsuki Tanimura

Shinji Ikari - Ryuunosuke Kamiki

Asuka Langley Soryu - Shoko Nakagawa

thus, of course, utterly missing the point that Asuka is 3/4 Caucasian, *essentially* "German", and simply "looks European"

Gendo Ikari - Ken Ogata

Misato - Ryouko Shinohara

Ritsuko Akagi - Koyuki (you will know her best from "The Last Samurai" where she was the widow of the samurai Tom Cruise killed)

Kozo Fuyutsuki - Junichirou Koizumi (former prime minister; they weren't taking this seriously)

Kaworu - Ken Satou

Kaji - Joe Odagiri

Overall, this list left me arguably more underwhelmed than that old AnimeInsider mock-casting wishlist :(

No hotlinking images. Please use an image host like imageshack or photobucket.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Formless One » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:29 pm

Admittedly, they do look a lot like the characters in the show. Of course, don't a lot of Japanese live action movies underwhelm? From what I've heard, they don't tend to have very high budgets.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Lilith

Postby Avatar of Dreams » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:11 pm

Formless One wrote:Admittedly, they do look a lot like the characters in the show. Of course, don't a lot of Japanese live action movies underwhelm? From what I've heard, they don't tend to have very high budgets.

The only one I've watched is Death Note and that turned out to be pretty good.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Formless One » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:13 pm

Well, I haven't seen any myself, that is just something I have heard, so you can take my words with a grain of salt.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

HENRCAST
Adam

Postby HENRCAST » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:59 pm

Isn't Gendo a little way too old?
Anyway, those actors trulyt do remind me of their respective Eva characters.

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:28 pm

Definitely. All of them look VERY similar(Even if Asuka is mostly German, that girl still looks like her)
I hate not having my Siggy.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby SeanTucker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:13 pm

What the...

Asuka = the person who did the OP and insert song from TTGL, according to Newtype.

That is seriously fucked up.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:13 am

SeanTucker wrote:Asuka = the person who did the OP and insert song from TTGL, according to Newtype.

Shokotan has built most of her fame on being an "otaku" idol. She's known for being into cosplay, etc. and she does a lot of anime and sentai theme songs at her live shows.

True story, I was at her live show in LA earlier this year, during Anime Expo (where she premiered the new OP for the TTGL movie). She sang Cruel Angel's Thesis while cosplaying Rei, in a plugsuit.

As if that weren't enough, she got Yuko Miyamura (Asuka's voice actress) to record a special AX intro for the song, in character, where Asuka tells her to represent Japan honorably (anta baka).

This doesn't necessarily make her suited for any sort of acting... just saying.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:27 am

It's kind of a shame that this list would never actually make it into the film - apart from Asuka, and maybe Gendo (although I do know that your dad CAN be that old) they all look pretty much perfectly suited for the role.
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby SeanTucker » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:36 pm

drinian wrote:
SeanTucker wrote:Asuka = the person who did the OP and insert song from TTGL, according to Newtype.

Shokotan has built most of her fame on being an "otaku" idol. She's known for being into cosplay, etc. and she does a lot of anime and sentai theme songs at her live shows.

True story, I was at her live show in LA earlier this year, during Anime Expo (where she premiered the new OP for the TTGL movie). She sang Cruel Angel's Thesis while cosplaying Rei, in a plugsuit.

As if that weren't enough, she got Yuko Miyamura (Asuka's voice actress) to record a special AX intro for the song, in character, where Asuka tells her to represent Japan honorably (anta baka).

This doesn't necessarily make her suited for any sort of acting... just saying.

Holy crap, I didn't know Shouko Nakagawa was that ridiculously awesome. I now fully support her being in LAEM.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:37 pm

Indigo Arcangel wrote:It's kind of a shame that this list would never actually make it into the film - apart from Asuka, and maybe Gendo (although I do know that your dad CAN be that old) they all look pretty much perfectly suited for the role.

I have to agree. Asuka should be a westerner, preferably with a slight German accent. And Gendo just doesn't look evil enough. Maybe if someone where to photoshop a beard on that guy.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:01 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

William shatner for Gendou
Leonard Nimoy for Fuyutsuki

Ricardo Montalban for Keel

I mean

Keel: I shall leave you as you left my daughter, marooned for all eternity in the cold core of a monster, barely alive... barely alive

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

that shit just writes itself.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Zaiku
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Zaiku » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:41 am

Hm... I would say that Kaji's and Kaworu's fit pretty well. The rest aren't too bad... But Gendo is WAY too old, Asuka is way too Japanese and Ritsuko is just not Ritsuko. Seriously, that chick's eybrow's need to be at least 3 times thicker. >_>
For the love of everything... Watch this video: Give it 5 stars and leave a comment. Even, subscribe... Maybe? Well, I'd appreciate it. >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiBcbfvcE6c
"I did it for the lulz." ~Me: on everything

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:34 pm

Anime Insider recently had an interview with her. Shoko is quite the otaku; an Eva plugsuit she rented (dunno if it was the one she wore at AX) was over thousand dollars and she happens to be a huge Sailor Moon fan (naming her cats after the characters, buying stuff on Ebay, etc). She was also in this: http://www.crunchyroll.com/media-55505/Nakagawa-Shoko-Private-Lesson-Part-1.html

The list you brought up would be interesting, V, but I'd still like the idea of somehow getting the actual seiyuu to play their respective characters regardless of them being old. :sweatdrop:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 pm

...Don't think I'd like Megumi Ogata playing Shinji in a live-action movie. There's just something...off about that.
Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE -My fanfic. COMPLETE, HAHA! 2/25/08.
2.0: YOU ARE (NOT) WORTHLESS: Updated (!!) 7/14/08
Nigecha dame da...
"Kaworu is not a character. Kaworu is a plot device. Kaworu sucks." -Reichu

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:44 pm

Shiro wrote:...Don't think I'd like Megumi Ogata playing Shinji in a live-action movie. There's just something...off about that.

What, Shinji getting played by a woman?

Makes perfect sense.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Count A'ight
Banned

Postby Count A'ight » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:53 pm

drinian wrote:True story, I was at her live show in LA earlier this year, during Anime Expo (where she premiered the new OP for the TTGL movie). She sang Cruel Angel's Thesis while cosplaying Rei, in a plugsuit.

I demand pictures.
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:01 pm

Shiro wrote:There's just something...off about that.

Yeah, she's too masculine to carry it off.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Victorthebattousai » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Well, I doubt it's possible to find an actor who could be as much of a weenie as Shinji. So, you can't blame her for that.
I hate not having my Siggy.

Deathmask
Lilith

Postby Deathmask » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:44 pm

It's true all the actors do fit the part, but I think Shinji looks a bit off, and Gendou is far too old.
<X> i dropped my book for this conversation
<ZapalacX> i dropped my pants for this conversation
<Anti> I wasn't serious.
<ZapalacX> i was
<ZapalacX> i'm not even joking
<ZapalacX> look at my face
<ZapalacX> :|

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”