Eva fans, your thoughts on RahXephon

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Heero [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Heero [ANF] » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Ive been watching it and i have to say i really like it, but it is too much like eva for my liking. The RahXephon is practically an EVA with wings, the dolems are just a bunch of angels coming to attack every other weak or more often. Then a lot of other stuff reminds me of eva.
Im not saying i dont like the series cos i love it. I think it would be better if it didnt remind me so much of eva

Originally posted on: 29-May-2004, 20:29 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 pm

I prefer Evangelion, though I've only seen the first 12 episodes of RahXephon. I wanted to like RX, but for some reason, I couldn't.

Incidentally, I do find drawing comparisions between EVA and RX to be problematic, because while there are plenty of surface elements common to both series, their "feel" is completely different. Evangelion is about emotion and passion and angst. As a result, it comes out fragmented, flawed and twisted, something I wouldn't change. RX, by contrast, is a restrained, pretty series that seems to adhere more to the conventions of "normal" drama and heroism, rather than EVA's wildness.

Some claim RX is "EVA done right"; I'd say it's "not EVA". If a person set out to patch up Evangelion's flaws to make it more streamlined a la RahXephon, the end product wouldn't be Evangelion, at least to me, because EVA's writing flaws reflect the chaotic nature of the story and emotions.

Originally posted on: 30-May-2004, 08:08 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 pm

MDWigs wrote:It's like talking to a wall, so i'll just stop here.

You are right there MDWigs. I hate it when people don't listen and then they try to rectify insteda of apologizing and just make it worse.

Anyway heres my 2 cents. I watched the first 2 RX DVD and found It didn't hold to me as much as Eva. Plus I wasn't gonna go buy the DVD but if I get the chance I will finish the series. Anyways I think I will quote Stephen King on this one

(Jesus christ I forgot how long this was. From The Stand: Complete and Uncut)
PS: Hes talking about why his books are so long
Stephen King wrote:If all of the story is there, one might ask, then why bother? Isn't it indulgence after all? It better not be; if it is then I have spent a large prtion of my life wasting my time. As it happens, I think that in really good stories, the whole is always greater than the sum of the parts. If that were not so, the following would be a perfectly acceptable version of "Hansel and Gretel" Quote: Hansel and Gretel were two children with a nice fatehr and a nice mother. The nice mother died, and the father married a b.tch. The b.tch wanted the kids out of the way so she'd have more money to spend on herself. She bullied her spineless, soft-headed hubby into taking Hansel and Gretel into the woods and killing them. The kids' father relented at the last moment, allowing them to live so they could starve to death in the woods instead of dying quickly and mercifully at the blade of his knife. While they were wandering around, they found a house madde out of candy. It was owned by a witch who was into cannabalism. She locked them up and told them that when they were good and fat, she was going to eat them. But the kids got the best of her. Hansel shoved her into her own oven. They found the witch's treasure, and they must have found a map, too, because they eventually arrived home again. When they got there, Dad gave the b.tch the boot an they lived happily ever after. The End.
I don't know what you think, but for me, that version's a loser. The story is there but it's not elegant. It's like a Cadillac with the chrome stripped off and the paint sanded down to dull metal. It goes somewhere, but it ain't, you know, boss

Basically it doesn't matter what it ripped off but how it makes you feel. You can see/read two of the same exact stories and one is a hell of a lot better than the other.

Originally posted on: 30-May-2004, 20:22 GMT

Miduki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Miduki [ANF] » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Rahxephon smelled funny. I honestly liked the syle of animation, but it was so similar to Evangelion. Eva started the whole robots theme, it seems. Too many Shinjis, not enough Asuka's. Image I also think that the music of both series are similar in the "pianoed waiting for something bad to happen music," but nothing can compare to "Cruel Angels Thesis."

Originally posted on: 31-May-2004, 01:18 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

What? I love Eva but it definatley didn't start the robots theme...

Originally posted on: 31-May-2004, 10:54 GMT

RahOtaku [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RahOtaku [ANF] » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 pm

RahXephon is A totally different Anime from Evangelion

But it doesn't matter what you think.

RahXephon has to be talked about, and now we can since, finally more people have actually seen RahXephon.

The Blue Bird Book is being Translated as we speak.

Originally posted on: 01-Jun-2004, 00:14 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

So far in Rah the only thing I like was that girls singing....

Originally posted on: 01-Jun-2004, 12:11 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”