Book from EoE [Promethea]

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

kosure
Adam

Book from EoE [Promethea]

•      
  •      

Postby kosure » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:43 pm

I was debating whether to put this in Discussion of chit chat, and i thought i'd be safe and go with chit chat.

I was watcing the Commentary on EoE. And durin gthe second half, the guy that was explaining some of the ssymbolism, and he was talking about a book. I think he said it was called Promethia. But I can't seem to find anything.

So, does anyone know this book, and if so, is it any good?...
i think cosplay is a lot like communism, it seems like a good idea, but it never turns out the way you want.
Star Wars: The Ultimate Guide

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:26 pm

I haven't read it, because I anticipated it being encyclopedic in form. As I understand it, it's a long work of fiction with references to said symbolism in a similar fashion as Crichton's throw-ins of science. I think it's about a chick named Promethia. Yeah.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:13 pm

I've searched for the book without avail since way back when. The closest thing I've found is a comic book by the same name, but not an actual book.

If someone DOES know anything about this book, like full title, author, and other publication information, please post the details, cause as far as I know, this book doesn't exist.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:40 pm

Actually, I believe the Alan Moore comic is what Taliesin was referring to.

From a search result that linked to a page which no longer exists (hence the brief and vague quote):
...I've also read Moore's excellent Promethia, which is like Intro to the Occult 101...

_get some help

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:13 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:Actually, I believe the Alan Moore comic is what Taliesin was referring to.

I'll have to send Taliesin an email and ask him to shed some light on this.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:25 am

Moore's Promethea started in about '98, so it would have been the hot new thing just at about the same time as the US release of EoE came out - and issue 32 (and last) is out next week. If it were another Promethea, then it is likely to have been referenced by Moore (along with the ones he made up to support his back-story).

There are undeniable common chiliastic themes - after an initial grounding in Western Occult theory, there follows a long guided tour of the Tree of Life and an overarching storyline that culminates in an event that is extremely similar to Instrumentality - even if it did lack a Giant Naked Promethea.

====

The Eva Monkey wrote:I've searched for the book without avail since way back when. The closest thing I've found is a comic book by the same name, but not an actual book.

This is one of the actual references from Moore - Hélène Cixous, Le Livre de Promethea (The Book of Promethea or Promethea's Book, 1983; translated 1990) (see e.g. http://www.egs.edu/resources/cixous.html)
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Hot damn, I know what my next consumer venture will be! (That is, after I get an amp, keyboard, Powerbook, car, apartment... )

_get some help

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”