Ha ha, you suck Anno, Daichi, and Oshii

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Ha ha, you suck Anno, Daichi, and Oshii

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:31 pm

Buried Garbage

I already knew they sucked, but now someone else agrees.

Best line: The man [Oshii] is, if nothing else, pretentious.

Second best line (concerning Anno): The issue is that without those things, it's merely an exercise in masturbatory cinema.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:05 pm

Screw you, Shiki-Jitsu is my favorite Japanese live-action movie.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:39 pm

NAveryW wrote:Screw you, Shiki-Jitsu is my favorite Japanese live-action movie.

But I agree with Justin Sevakis that it starts falling apart around midway through.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:09 pm

Baahh, Shiki-Jitsu is awesome. There's nothing substantial criticism there (at least on Shiki-Jitsu part, that was only one I read)

Hideaki Anno's live action directorial debut, 1997's Love and Pop, still holds a special place in my heart. This, despite camera choices clearly made while drunk on the tininess of Sony's then-new MiniDV camcorders. By attaching said cameras to everything from a microwave to a sock to the bottom of a glass plate of spaghetti, Anno drove the big-screen nausea potential easily past Cloverfield and The Blair Witch Project. But the subject matter and its handling was compelling, despite the visual mistakes, and so I refuse to make Love and Pop a "Garbage" entry.

there goes the credibility :rolleyes:

edit:

That is FIRST negative review of Shiki-Jitsu I've read btw. Most reviews have praised it. Still, I just hope he had actually dug up some "real" criticism.
Last edited by Xard on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:13 pm

Come to think of it, Shiki-Jitsu is the only Japanese live-action film I've seen in its entirety except for Love & Pop, the Death Note trilogy, some Godzilla films, and one other that I can't remember the title of.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:18 pm

NAveryW wrote:Come to think of it, Shiki-Jitsu is the only Japanese live-action film I've seen in its entirety except for Love & Pop, the Death Note trilogy, some Godzilla films, and one other that I can't remember the title of.

...no Kurosawa movies?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:22 pm

Xard wrote:
NAveryW wrote:Come to think of it, Shiki-Jitsu is the only Japanese live-action film I've seen in its entirety except for Love & Pop, the Death Note trilogy, some Godzilla films, and one other that I can't remember the title of.

...no Kurosawa movies?
No. I read that many were now legally available for free, but when I looked them up on archive.org, it said they'd been removed. I guess they're not.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:26 pm

NAveryW wrote:
Xard wrote:

...no Kurosawa movies?
No. I read that many were now legally available for free, but when I looked them up on archive.org, it said they'd been removed. I guess they're not.

Well just buy a boxset

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:42 pm

NAveryW wrote:Screw you, Shiki-Jitsu is my favorite Japanese live-action movie.

I guess I can understand why Shiki-Jitsu is your favorite Japanese live action movie, considering all the ones you've seen are bottom of the barrel quality. Check out any of the Japanese movies that have been released by the Criterion Collection, and you'll see a vast improvement in film-making.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:57 pm

BrikHaus wrote:all the ones you've seen are bottom of the barrel quality.
Really?

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:14 pm

Okay, so he;'s not an anime director, or anything like that... but in the context of the linked article.. it fits. I could always respect the man (who's name escapes me atm) who made Mano, the hand of fate for nothing other than the fact that he said he would make his own feature film... out of nowhere... and actually managed to do it. Compared to professional directors and films it was shit... but it still took guts... and it is still a film.

Fair fooks to him, because making a film is a bitch.

Even if Haruhi Suzimiyah could do a better job... :P
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:29 pm

I was making movies better than Manos when I was five years old, and I still have a couple of them. I couldn't get them into theaters, and they had no budget, and one of them had about five to ten minutes that was just me eating a bowl of ravioli, but the point is I still made them and they were better than Manos in every way.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:46 pm

I enjoyed Red Spectacles. If you REALLY want Oshii's biggest flub, watch Stray Dog. Ick.

Also, the word "pretentious" sucks because nowadays it's used to pretty much put down anything that tries to deviate from the norm in the arts & entertainment.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Yes, I really don't think that the word "pretentious" can apply to art; just an artist.

Also, I thought Stray Dog was one of Kurosawa's. Did they both make movies with the same title?

Checking Wikipedia... Yes, indeed they did.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Indeed. I think Oshii and Anno as people are, based off what I hear, are more fucknuts than pretentious. Geniuses at what they do, yes, but fucknuts nonetheless.....okay, maybe Anno's a little pretentious.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:10 pm

Could you please give some SAUCE with that pasta of them being fucknuts?

EDIT: On topic, I'm curious what Monkey thinks about this article since he wants to go into film-making too (IIRC).
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 pm

Red Spectacles was an awesome movie, what made it even better is that its an indirect sequal to an episode of Urusei Yatsura but still takes place in the Jin Roh universe.

But actually, one of Oshiis other live action films, "Talking Head" is my favorite Oshii film and even stands as one of my favorite films period. So don't go knocking Oshii's live action films in comparison to his anime, from what I've seen their all pretty cool.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:22 pm

Defectron wrote:Red Spectacles was an awesome movie, what made it even better is that its an indirect sequal to an episode of Urusei Yatsura but still takes place in the Jin Roh universe.

I knew about it taking place in the Kerberos timeline, but Urusei Yatsura? Whaaat? Explain plz?

Also, if you can sit through Talking Head without your head exploding, you are a god amongst men. That being said, I enjoyed it, but my personal favorite Oshii films are still Angel's Egg, the first 2 Patlabor movies (his best work so far) and Ghost in the Shell.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Could you please give some SAUCE with that pasta of them being fucknuts.

Oshii misinterpreted Grave of the Fireflies as a story about incest, and once claimed that self-destruction was erotic to him. (There's a youtube video with the latter statement floating about somewhere) We all know that Anno had/has some issues. Also, there's an unconfirmed rumor that Anno once got into a fistfight with Oshii while high on crack. It's probably false. Otherwise, any SAUCE has long since faded into the dustbins of my memory. I'll see what I can dig up...

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:48 pm

I know that Anno was frakked up, but I just can't imagine him being on crack.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:48 pm

I knew about it taking place in the Kerberos timeline, but Urusei Yatsura? Whaaat? Explain plz?

Well The Red Spectaclkes was one of the first of what is known as the "Tachiguishi" storyline (not sure if I spelled that right) which focuses on characters whpose first appearance was in an episode of Urusei Yatsura where Mendou hired some fast food grifters to come and bankrupt the Tomobiki shopping district. Essentially these fast food grifters are people who get by in life by not paying for the bills when they eat out. They include Hamburger Tetsu, Crepe no Mami and Kitsune Croquette Ogin among others. Many of them are mentioned by name, though the only fast food grifters to make an appearance in Red specticles are Moongaze Ginji (a character who never appeared in the initial urusei yatsura episode) and Kitsune Croquette Ogin (Aka Foxy Croquette Ogin & Fried Croquette Ogin depending on the translator). In urusei Yatsura, Ogin I believe was supposed to be the # 2 girl at Butsumetsu high, and was also the apprentice of another fast food grifter who discouraged her initially from becoming involved in the fast food grifting world because she was a girl. In Red Specticles, Kitsune Croquette Ogin is the mysterious girl with the red cape.

Oshii later made a movie in 2007 "Tachiguishi Retsuden" which completely focuses on these characters.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Return to “Film and Video”