Kensuke vs OC?

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Kensuke vs OC?

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:08 am

It occurs to me that in all eva media (especially the fan stuff), Kensuke gets totally short-changed. I mean, all things considered we know more about him than Touji, yet Touji (just as much an attempt at a stereotype for comic relief initially) gets a lot of attention one way or another.

That said, I still think it's an incredibly bad idea to do one of those (to me) disgustingly artificial pairings (Kensuke x Asuka is about as bad as Kensuke x Rei, tbh), and it's not as though I want his personality mutated into something dashing and agreeable, but both Shinji and Touji are initially portrayed as something undesirable and they eventually get enough attention to become darlings of shippers, so why leave Kensuke out? I think it's really just an anomoly that Kensuke remains considered only a lame nerd while Touji and Shinji are seen by shippers as being far better material.

I'm thinking perhaps a single, totally awesome Kensuke pairing would be best. I couldn't think of a decent person to pair him with from the show (Maya wouldn't work for anyone who saw EoE, but aside from the sexuality issue and the age difference, I think that type of girl might be the best match), so I'm thinking an OC, maybe nerdy and glasses-clad like him. I might do this myself, but if anyone wants to try and beat me to the punch, go ahead.

Comments welcome.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:53 am

First of all, what does OC stand for? From your title, I was (shudder!) picturing a crossover between Evangelion and Fox's recently departed The OC (let me go on record for saying that I never watched a single episode of that show).
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:01 am

both Shinji and Touji are initially portrayed as something undesirable and they eventually get enough attention to become darlings of shippers, so why leave Kensuke out? I think it's really just an anomoly that Kensuke remains considered only a lame nerd while Touji and Shinji are seen by shippers as being far better material.

That's because Toji and Shinji get that kind of attention in the show. Both of them have girls who clearly like them, setting up pairing opportunities. Why? I couldn't say. Shinji doesn't have a lot of redeeming qualities at all (I wouldn't like him if I was a girl), but he's the lead character, and lead characters get girls. Toji's only got his "compassionate side" going for him, which isn't recognized by half of the girls who talk about him (the half being Asuka, of course). But of course, he's a jock, and jocks get girls.

But Kensuke...what can you do with a guy like that? He sits around all day with his video camera out, and at night he plays soldier with himself (which isn't nearly as dirty as it sounds). Would you like a guy like that? I probably wouldn't. I doubt that any of the cast that we're familiar with would either. So you either have to make a pairing that wouldn't work in the show, wouldn't work in real life, and doesn't really make sense, or you have to introduce OCs, like you're doing.

Sharaz Destler wrote:First of all, what does OC stand for?

Original Character.
Gamer_2k4

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:26 pm

Kensuke is the sort of guy who ends up on 4chan posting in ronery threads, spitting with envy at the people who got more action before they were teens than he has in his entire life.

That aside, I might one of these days do the Bardiel-in-EVA02 fic that has Kensuke and the invalided-out Asuka drawn together my their mutual desire to pilot. But it would take something similarly far away from the canon history to put Kensuke together with a girl whose name didn't end in .jpg
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:33 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Kensuke is the sort of guy who ends up on 4chan posting in ronery threads, spitting with envy at the people who got more action before they were teens than he has in his entire life.

Who got action before they were a teenager? Besides me and Flavor Flav, of course.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:54 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Who got action before they were a teenager?

I take it you've not read any of the threads retelling the games of Advanced Doctors and Nurses that some Anonymoi partook of in their early years.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:49 pm

Kensuke x GAU-5A/A.

That's my pairing and I'm sticking to it.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:55 pm

I've heard before that Kensuke actually had a crush on Asuka. (Or was that something in some lame Angelic Days manga?) :wink:

Kensuke deserves that glasses girl (not Mari), from ep 3 that was like "ZOMG NO WAI" when Shinji said he was a pilot.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:00 pm

kensuke/hikari
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:16 pm

The glasses girl thing is actually what I was thinking. Some very nerdy, bespectacled, probably freckled and pigtailed girl who can compete with Kensuke in terms of memorized vehicle specs... or who complements his skills in some way (ex., he's into videoing, but he doesn't plan it out much, so maybe she writes film scripts or does EDLs / post-processing?) Anyway, I really think it HAS to be a character that has not yet been introduced, though it could be someone who was mentioned (Hikari has two sisters, and I think Touji's sister would be good except for the loli-guro thing that would inevitably be brought up -- I can just imagine Touji being a protective older brother and being like "Okay, Kensuke, listen up. You like my sis, and she likes you. If she wants it, I'm okay with that, but you hurt her and I pound yer face in, understand? I'm only warning you 'cause you're my best bud n' all, see.")

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:12 pm

why not cross it over with lucky star and give us a Kensuke x Konata pairing...allowing an open relationship with Kagami~n
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Mr. Jive
Adam

Wait a minute, cut this crap.

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:07 pm

If anyone should be pair up whit a OC is Shinji sorry ass. No girl or boy would be dumb enough to be whit a misogynistic loser like him? Kensuke may be a bit odd but he is a good person that knows how to treat female like human beings. The female pilots need someone who gonna help them, understand them and put them on the right path. Kensuke is the guy that can do that, Shinji is not. Eva fans spent too much time making him look bad in fics like nobody dies, advice and trust etc... They do that to make the readers not like him and therefore not want to see him pair up whit any of the girls. That way they can have all the girls run up behind psycho boy to try make people forget what a misogyny prick he is and that he likes boys more then girls. In the hands of a good writer kensuke would look good pair up with any girl. Adam kadmon has proven this in most of the stories with kensuke in them. Go read covenant red and stay away from mediocre fics like nobody dies.

It been shown in the manga and video games that kensuke has feelings for Asuka but Shinji fans don't want people knowing this cause they want to make people think he the only guy for and Rei. They mad cause these girls don't want nothing to do with him after seeing what a piece of trash he is in EOE. They rather see these girls all along instead of seeing them with guys that are stable, healthy, smart and would understand them better than Shinji sorry ass ever would. It also don't help the eva writers are too lazy to put these girls in relationships with guys like kensuke and toji, instead want Shinji to be the only boy they have a relationship whit? Who the hell want to see the same toxic relationships over and over and over and over again? I hope after final, Anno leave the world of eva forever.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Wait a minute, cut this crap.

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:53 pm

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:No girl or boy would be dumb enough to be whit a misogynistic loser like him?

Citation required?

Kensuke may be a bit odd but he is a good person that knows how to treat female like human beings.

Kensuke takes candid photos of Asuka and sells them to guys who wanna jerk off to them.

That way they can have all the girls run up behind psycho boy to try make people forget what a misogyny prick he is and that he likes boys more then girls.

-Such a delicate way of referring to one of many characters in the series who have psychological issues stemming from parental neglect and abandonment.

-Again, citation needed on the misogyny.

-Shinji got a boner over Asuka and Misato fooling around at the hot springs. Asuka alludes that she knows Shinji regularly jerks off to her during Instrumentality. Shinji tried to kiss Asuka in her sleep. He does have feelings for Kaworu, but whether they are sexual in nature is way more speculative. There is overt evidence in the series that Shinji has had sexual thoughts about Asuka, Misato, and Rei, but never any male characters.

They mad

You just bumped a nearly decade-old thread. I think u mad.

Shinji sorry ass

It's amazing to me that someone who has such a dislike of the central character of a series would have watched and finished said series.

It also don't help the eva writers are too lazy to put these girls in relationships with guys like kensuke and toji, instead want Shinji to be the only boy they have a relationship whit?

None of the official Evangelion screenwriters have put any girls in relationships with any guys. The closest we get is Hikari/Toji.

I hope after final, Anno leave the world of eva forever.

I'm pretty sure he will.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Kensuke vs OC?

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Well, for one thing he doesn't have a canonical love interest (apart from his fanboying over Misato, from which we can deduce that he's likely heterosexual) so there's less of material to with.
In the end he's a supporting character and there's a limit to how much they can include everyone's full social circle, besides he's fairly young anyways and it's not like giving them a ove interest is the only way to explore a character.
It's not like there isn't stuff to work with, for one thing he's an only child with no mother (probably part of why he's so into his hobbies, had to occupy himself a lot) and there's a tad more than simple naivity behind his wish to become an EVA pilot given that it persists after the Shamshel debacle during which he was clearly terrified.

One way you could look at it is that he's perhaps not reached that degree of maturity as he's a dreamer engaging in hijinks, but nerd or no nerd he actually proves to be fairly emphatetic, observant and intelligent at various points. Like, he has an about average composition of good & bad points as do most people.

Like, I think more likely than an "he becomes a pilot and instantly regrets it" scenario would be an outcome where he gets himself killed due to fanatic recklessness, like, some failed attempt to do something heroic in the face of an overwhelming threat. Mari but with none the info, connections or steel nerves.

Though even a "getting over the I want to be special" plot (I've read that once) would be more than he usually gets. I'm always a bit miffed when there are those fics where not even Shinji likes him.

One way or another you'd have to speculate; Pairing him with one of the pilot girl isn't necessarily always bad; The problem is more that this is usually played for laughs or done as a token romance beta couple and derails both participants immensely mostly just so [other pilot girl] can get with Shinji.
Some manga adaptations do give him a vague goes-nowhere crush on Asuka though it's worth noting that they cannot stand each other in the anime proper.
I've also seen people who wanted to include Mana or Mayumi but not to the whole harem thing have them get together with Kensuke.

I pesonally always liked him, and it should be noted that despite his nerdery he's actually a good & insightful friend, a few goofs nonwithstanding. (and did he even fully know what had happened to Touji when he made that phone call in ep 19?)

Also, reminder that bisexuality is a thing that exists? And * raised eyebrow * at the random torrent of incoherent Shinji hate?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Squigsquasher
Banned

Re: Kensuke vs OC?

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:06 am

I really like Kensuke. Aside from him being one of the most normal of the cast, he's just a really fun character. Him goofing about playing soldier by himself is both hilarious and a little bit sad (I wanted to join in with him, the poor kid), and NOTHING will compare to the laughs I got from Girlfriend of Steel, where one of the "dialogue" pieces is just him making plane noises. Speaking of, he's also a military tech nerd and thus a man after my own heart.

But uh, yes. Pairings. Usually, poor K-man seems to be paired up with whoever is left over from the other pairings (usually Rei due to the horrendous habit of fic writers to commit the atrocity against nature that is Asuka/Shinji). In my own "pairing matrix" Kensuke is once again relegated to "whoever's left over" (I don't like Original the Character Donut Steel fics) but with a very different outcome.

Shinji is of course paired up with Teh Rei (it's only right and natural). Touji gets shacked up with Hikari (it's canon after all, and a very cute pairing to boot). Which leaves Kensuke to be matched...with Asuka. It makes sense to me- Kensuke has a crush on Asuka, after all, and Asuka is an actual military prodigy whilst Kensuke is a military fanboy...common ground, people! Plus, at least to Shinji and Touji, Kensuke's always seemed like a good, dedicated friend, so who knows, maybe if the two actually got talking for a few minutes they might hit off.

When I get round to writing my dream fic (essentially a retelling of Eva but the Action Arc all the way through, with hot blood, moichandise-pushing, meta humour and also Touji, Kensuke and Hikari as pilots because why not) I'll probably have Kensuke and Asuka pairing up in the end.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Wait a minute, cut this crap.

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:02 am

View Original PostMr. Jive wrote:If anyone should be pair up whit a OC is Shinji sorry ass. No girl or boy would be dumb enough to be whit a misogynistic loser like him? Kensuke may be a bit odd but he is a good person that knows how to treat female like human beings.

No offence intended but Kensuke's anime version was taking photos of naked women in the locker rooms with out there consent and selling them to other male students and in the real world this kind of thing can lead to women getting hurt and even humiliated and he does not care about the consequences for these women, to him its all about the money. Yes Shinji's EOE version is very problematic but Kensuke also has really bad behaviours and they should not be over looked or swept under the carpet. As far as rebuild Kensuke goes though I do feel that maybe it would have been nice for him to have a romantic interest.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Return to “Fan Works”