(Second) Evas vs. Angels Design Contest! (Afterthoughts)

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:20 pm

*Requim for a Dream song comes on as devil_eAter enters*

That's Lux Aeterna, from the film Requiem for a Dream to you.

On that note, I liked devil_eAter's angel a lot, and I thought that the anti-kowarou bit was well pulled off (the EL influence was a good thing in that regard, and welcome to me). However, I have personally thought about it, and I was sold at Avatar of Dream's contribution. He did a lot of work, like all of you, but his was unique. It was not just made to be something to fight, and it was not overly influenced by judeo-christian mythology. Chowwow's was good, but it is not too hard to do a rendition of Satan, after all. Plus, you spent so much time on his personality, down to how he treats women, but I never got the idea of how he could fit in a story (or indeed, any idea of how he would ever get into a conversation with a human female in the first place). A lot of the details about Iblis were a bit too tangential for me, and detracted from the sense of wonder that made the canon angels from the show managed so well. Good for some stories, but it... didn't fit with the feel of Eva to me.
/2cents
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

devil_eAter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby devil_eAter » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Perhaps you should try being a judge. You seem to have analyzed things well and have done a good job of presenting your views.
Fred Phelps sucks....

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:40 am

I think devil_eAter had the right idea by discussing his thoughts on his own Design after the fact.

So, if any Designers are inclined to do so, they can post their Afterthoughts of their Angel Design and enlighten us on the thought processes, themes and overall satisfaction with their own work. Doing this won't (and shouldn't) affect your overall judgment on your Design by the Judges, so feel free to revisit your idea as little or as much as you want.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:02 am

I already did, kinda... heh.

In general I'm really happy with the concept of Dumah, though in retrospect I think we could have done better with the actual shape/form. Despite all the little crevices and what not it still boils down to a ball full of tentacles, and that's not as exciting as it could have been.

If I could do it again I'd make it more like a cross between a waterbug and a weeping willow. Three long, graceful insectoid legs that end in delicate little hairy bits set up as a tripod to support it's more streamlined shell, still covered in eyes. The striking limbs project upwards rather halfheartedly, dangling downwards after a short rise to sway limply until needed, while the other 'feeler' limbs would just sort of sway and hover in a halo around the body, like the fronds of a grass skirt.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:06 pm

I really wanted to post something from Uriel's point of view, so I could get into its head and show how it views the world from several billion-years old eyes. It would be interesting, because I would also reveal that the Uriels have somewhat of a hive mind (think of all of your friends able to talk with you whenever they want without a phone, and you can respond back), and that each one, like any person on Earth, is different from the other. Also, Uriel's personality is far from preemininantly logical; it understands mercy and compassion and fairness, for once (you can see that with how Uriel operates its spheres by giving itself restrictions to not completely overwhelm its target). I also wanted to explore what would happen if someone or something killed an Uriel, because it has happened before. But I ran out of time.

and if you Sandman folks were wondering, the narrator is talking to you from the World's End Inn.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:42 am

My afterthoughts on Oriphel:

I wish I could have took a better pic, but then again the scanner won't work and I had misplaced the original drawing somewhere (it was written on a mere sheet of paper and I am very prone at losing stuff).

Another thing is, I have noticed that some have commented on the 'game-boss' similarity. That was quite unintentional on my part (I just 'made it up as I went', with influences and whatnot), but if given the time I'd like to hone Oriphel's abilities and personality more.

As for why Oriphel is a giant one-handed ball: It came out as pure accident, sort of. Originally, Oriphel (then named Chashmal) was conceived as a Sachiel-like giant, already having his 'grasshopper-like face' and the 'core not being in his main body' idea.

I revisited the idea, and thought that having Chashmal as being sort of similar to the humanoid giant Angels was a bit too-clicheish; Chashmal then gained his round body and his AT-Field ring. By this time, he is still supposed to have normal arms and feet, only that he hovers above ground (an idea also present in Chashmal).

Though, I decided that the idea was quite lame (what's the use of feet if you're never going to use it on the ground anyway?) and dropped the legs. I was deciding to change Chashmal's name by this point since the name is starting to become a misnomer; finally I settled on Oriphel and started to design him to resemble a Saturn-like creature.

As I was starting to draw a rough version, I drew Oriphel with only one arm merely out of whim (it never occured that the one-arm idea is not explored much yet), and the final version was born.
"God forbid that I actually make any logical sense whatsoever!"
- Me from around three years ago. Thank God I still don't.

AsukaChan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaChan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:45 am

Asuka-Chan's afterthoughts on Kushiel:

:D

I was originally trying to come up with a concept and then name it based on what I'd dreamed up, but then I realized that didn't make any sense. It was much easier to choose a name and then try to take an interesting slant on the mythos (if there's enough to speak of) that surrounded the name. So in choosing the name "Kushiel" I did my best to find an interesting way to stay true to its meaning while being as original as possible. After all, that's what they did when they created Eva's angels. I use Leliel as my example, because they could've portrayed the idea of Night in many different ways, but the way they did it was very unique.

If I could add to it I might've put more effort in deciding how it made its entrance, but overall I'm very happy with my artwork (which is rare for me!) as well as the design overall. I'm also happy people found it interesting as well. ^_^

Yes, it's a bit like a maypole.. but ohwell!
Asuka, just as hot as that Langley Soryu chick.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

1st ADC Awards for Best Innovation and Best Presentation!

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:59 am

The time is up and the votes are in! I would like to thank you all, Designers and Judges alike, for you patience and you hard work. Now is the time to celebrate all of the effort you all have made.

To the winners of each Award, I will post the Award twice: once on this thread for all to see, and a full-resolution version delivered straight to you via PM. To claim your Award, simply right click and save the file!

To spread out the good will, I will announce and present two Awards each day (today will be special: there will be four). This way, winners can take the time to relish in their glory for just a little while.

Winners of these Awards can, at their choice, place their winnings as part of their signature i.e:

Winner of the Award for Best Innovation; Angel Design Contest Summer 2008.

Without further ado I present:

The Awards for the Angel Design Contest: Summer 2008:

To all who answered my call to arms and have participated in this contest I present to you this badge:

Something special for those who made it to their scheduled deadlines:

*Excluding our late guys, you know who you are...

Now for the specific Awards I present the following:

The Top Nominees for the Award for Best Innovation are:
Oriphel, the Angel of Saturn by pat457
Hamaliel, the Angel of Logic by Gamer_2k4
Uriel, Angel of Knowledge by TheAyanamiOtaku
Kushiel, Rigid One of God by AsukaChan

And the Winner is:
Image Gamer_2k4! for Hamaliel, the Angel of Logic

The Top Nominees for the Award for Best Presentation are:
Dumah, Angel of Deathly Silence and Vindication by NemZ and Rhyno
Erikael, the Angel of Nature by Avatar of Dreams
Kushiel, Rigid One of God by AsukaChan
Jerahmeel, God pities by devil_eAter

And the Winner is:

Image Avatar of Dreams! for Erikael, the Angel of Nature

Congrats you guys! And check back tomorrow for the winners of the next two Awards!
Last edited by Chowwow on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:39 pm

Yay! :toothy:
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Avatar of Dreams » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:13 pm

Yay I won an award! :woohoo:
Cool badges too.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:05 pm

congrats all :clap:

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

1st ADC Awards for Best Creature Design and Best Character!

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:21 am

Welcome back all for:

The Awards for the Angel Design Contest: Summer 2008:

For today:

The Award for Best Creature Design went to the Angel with the best artistically attractive physical design. Attention was paid either to illustrations, text descriptions, or both. We has some really pretty and interesting-looking Angels, and picking out the best was pretty hard.

The Top Nominees for the Award for Best Creature Design are:
Erikael, the Angel of Nature by Avatar of Dreams
Metatron, the Voice of God by Omegagouki
Kushiel, the Rigid One of God by AsukaChan
Oriphel, the Angel of Saturn by pat457

And the winner is:

Image pat457 for Oriphel, the Angel of Saturn

Despite of the technical difficulties brought out by the scanning equipment, it was clear that pat's Angel was both incredibly detailed and unique in that it brought a bit of a twist to the old "sphere-Angel" concept. Its use of multiple faces, a single claw, and other strange and abstract details make it one of the more artistically refined Designs.

That said, there are a few other Designs that I feel should have at least been put in the top nominees. Erikael and Kushiel are a few other really nice designs that were really brought out by the talent of their artists. The presence of Erikael and Kushiel made deciding this one especially rough. TAO's Uriel and Nemz's Dumah I think should have also been up there too, due to the painstaking effort their artists made in their illustrations and descriptions. While none had Oriphel's distinct and unique look and symbolism, the directions others took to their Angels were not wrong and does not make them bad by any means.

The Award for Best Character went to the Angel with the most engrossing and interesting personality or story background. Attention was paid to descriptions of it as a dramatic character. The point to this Award was to see if Designers could transcend the boundaries between man and Angel by humanizing them in a believable manner.

The Top Nominees for the Award for Best Character are:
Jerahmeel, God Pities by devil_eAter
Dumah, Angel of Deathly Silence by NemZ and Rhyno

And the winner is:

devil_eAter for Jerahmeel, God Pities

Of all of the Awards, this one was a landslide win. Through his own efforts, devil_eAter managed to capture our attention and hearts with his dramatic story of a traumatized sentient being. You got the sense that there was a human being underneath this beast, and the story shone a sympathetic light on this tortured and violent individual. While the drama seemed to go a bit too far and bordered on the ridiculous at times (with references to other ill-fated characters and mentions of painful experiments), no one else was at the level of character development as Jerahmeel was. With a chilling backstory and a many opportunities for future adventures, this one has some good potential if he can be executed with the utmost care and foresight.

Uriel and Dumah, the runner-ups for this award, should be recognized for their distinct personalities - something that is unique among Angels. Their frames of thought gives the audience a sense that they are more rational and more powerful than some of their other brethren. While fairly realistic within NGE, they are not as fully-featured as our winner.

That's it for now, stay tuned for more!
Last edited by Chowwow on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Oh, the euphoria of it all. I officially request for a second round of this contest to be held over Christmas.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:11 pm

^ He's already organized the Lillim Design contest, what more could you ask for?
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

devil_eAter
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby devil_eAter » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:49 pm

Cool I won one!!! :rei_dance:

Well, it would be cool to have another angel design at one point, being I feel I skimped out on my design a bit (my own fault. But we should not have one just because I want to make a better design. I say we let everybody else decide if they want one later.
Fred Phelps sucks....

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

1st ADC Awards for Best Fighter and Best Symbolism!

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 am

I officially request for a second round of this contest to be held over Christmas.

While I would like to organize another Angel Contest very soon, realize that I'm the one who has to organize this event. And with the Human Design Contest underway, along with real life, I have to spread out the scheduling for it.

But stay tuned for more news on that!

Well, back to business:

The Awards for the Angel Design Contest Summer 2008:

Today:

The Award for the Best Fighter went to the Angel who was, overall, the most formidable combatant among all of the entries. Our Judges looked for the kinds of weapons and abilities the Angel used as well as its defenses and its skill in combat situations.

The Top Nominees for the Award for Best Fighter are:
Jophiel, Angel of Beauty by IrkenEvangelion
Dumah, Angel of Deathly Silence by NemZ and Rhyno

And the Winner is:

Image TheAyanamiOtaku for Uriel, Angel of Knowledge

Underneath the massive amounts of text and sketches lay a powerful beast indeed. If one were able to navigate through the somewhat disorganized word salad that was Uriel's description, one would find a quite formidable combatant with a large array of bells and whistles and a wide and varied arsenal of weapons. His personal experience combined with a seemingly limitless and unpredictable array of fighting skills makes him a powerful foe. It makes one wonder how anyone can make sense of Uriel, much less fight him.

Our runner-ups were no slouches in the hurt department either. Kushiel excelled in very graceful, unique and unconventional weapons that greatly added to its appeal, though limited and not too imposing. Jophiel's unique form allowed it to produce drilling and sawing weapons at will, which was an interesting idea - though a bit questionable in appropriateness for an Angel. Dumah was quite formidable, practical, and insidious, whose combat abilities seemed to form the core of its concept. Alas, it could not keep up with the winner's versatility and ferocity.

Names I felt should have been on the list were Avatar of Dreams' Erikael and Omegagouki's Metatron. Erikael's toughness and wide-effect, which is sure to give it dominance over the land in short order, makes it a very tough and very unconventional monster to fight. Metatron's collection of direct attack weapons, though pretty standard, are nonetheless very practical. Metatron just goes to show that you don't need style to kick ass as long as you can kick ass.

The Award for the Best Use of Symbolism went to the Angel that made use of its title as a messenger/agent of God or represented a certain important idea. The use of symbolism (religious or otherwise) served to enhance the feel, characterization, and quality of the design.

The Top Nominees for Best Use of Symbolism are:
Jophiel, Angel of Beauty by IrkenEvangelion
Erikael, Angel of Nature by Avatar of Dreams

And the Winner is:

AsukaChan for Kushiel, the Rigid One of God

Like the Character Design award, determining the best use of symbolism was subjective in this line up. The eventual winner was an interesting take on the concept of Kushiel, a Jewish Angel charged with punishing individuals in Hell, according to Wikipedia. The stiff structure and the whip-like wing gave it an amazing composition and gave cleaver nods to it origins. A few of its details, such as its ability to spawn other creatures, seem a bit out of place, and the lack of a personality leaves some untapped potential for more symbolism.

Erikael's heavy use of plant and nature symbolism really helped define the role and idea behind the concept and left a great impression. While not related to a real Angel per se, the theme of the design was made readily apparent. However, it seems to only represent plants exclusively - perhaps in time it can include effects on the environment, such a wind and precipitation. One has to wonder how much the Designer's girlfriend is really in it. Finally, Jophiel's design vaguely resembles the old illustrations of its religious counterpart. And while it looks nice, I wonder where the beauty aspect in its characterization is. Perhaps it doubles as the Angel of Drills and Chainsaws?

Another name I feel should have been mentioned was Dumah by Team New Guys. Its symbolism not only defines its theme and concept, but how and why it fights as well. The symbols are pretty strong; it really does make things deathly silent!

Tomorrow:
The winners of the Best in Contest Award and the Quirky Award. And I'll try to think of something for fanservice...
Last edited by Chowwow on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:48 am

Congratulations to all! :boingy:

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:55 am

Chowwow wrote:While I would like to organize another Angel Contest very soon, realize that I'm the one who has to organize this event. And with the Human Design Contest underway, along with real life, I have to spread out the scheduling for it.

Point taken. I only meant to ask, especially on the basis of how good this one was, so I'm sorry if I came across as rather abrupt there.

That said, I'd be perfectly happy to host the second round with the same rules and regulations IF you'd like me to do so...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:11 am

If there is going to be another contest, the judging system should probably be retooled.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 am

Thanks. Thanks very much. Thanks a millionfold.
"God forbid that I actually make any logical sense whatsoever!"
- Me from around three years ago. Thank God I still don't.

Return to “Fan Works”