All About Lily Chou-Chou on DVD in the US 2/15

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

All About Lily Chou-Chou on DVD in the US 2/15

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:12 pm

All About Lily Chou-Chou is not Gainax, but it's arguably the best film by one of Japan's best and most important filmmakers, Shunji Iwai.

Although he had made numerous feature films shot with traditional film cameras, Iwai was inspired to make Lily Chou-Chou using a digital camera by Anno Hideaki's Love and Pop-- i believe both films use some of the same pieces of classical music (including one song by Debussy). Iwai also later starred in Anno's second film, Shiki Jitsu.

All About Lily Chou-Chou is one of my favorite films and would probably interest fans of Evangelion because it's a difficult, challenging work.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006Z2NCC/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/104

http://www.homevision.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=1374&id=ALL100

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:13 pm

If it has Debussy...I'm game. =D Oh, and the plot sounds pretty disturbing...definetly worth a watch! Thanks for sharing. ^^

MDWigs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:34 am

All About Lily Chou-Chou is a fantastic film. I saw it at an international film festival in Brisbane a couple of years ago and highly recommend it. It is a very difficult, challenging work. Some of the events are so guy wrenchingly horrible that it's hard to fathom how kids can actually be like that (it's only been a little more than 5 years, but highschool seems like such a long time ago for me). The movie is heavily into music, Lily is a fictional singer, but her songs are real, and they are terrific. Debussy features heavily, in particular, 'The Girl With The Flaxen Hair', "Clair De Lune" and "Arabesque", and while there is no actual Debussy in Eva that I can recall. The use of classical music in Lily is very powerful. Check it out if you can get a hold of it.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen- year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”