Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

[Video Games] Metal Gear Solid

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:59 pm

There wasn't a thread devoted to Metal Gear Solid in general, so I figured I'd make one... (Fourth game is here.) I figure a lot of the people here have played the MGS games, so ... why not.

My bro went to the trouble of picking up a PS3, and then MGS4 soon as it was out. I watched him play a little, but his attention span soon waned, and now he's playing his damned MMORPGs again. So now it's all up to me if I want to see the rest (and not via shitty Internet clips). And I could really use a refresher, so out come the prior installments!

I don't normally play games like these, but, way back around the time MGS was originally released, my bro was playing it and I ended up sitting down and watching a lot. It was... interesting. The voice talent was actually good for (even though Liquid distractingly reminded me of Dr. Sevarius from Gargoyles), there was an interesting script (however cheesy at times) and characters... And I was all, "Hey, I should just play this myself." Of course, I ended up being utterly miserable at it even on the easiest setting, only having an advantage over my brother during the interrogation part. But for some reason, it was, generally, fun to play anyway.

Sometime later on, and I can't remember what prompted it, I picked up Twin Snakes (we'd played a borrowed copy of MGS before) and MGS2 Substance. For some reason, I have no recollection of playing the former. MGS2, I thought was... weird. I think I was sort of indifferent about Raiden; didn't really hate him, but would rather have been playing as Snake (of course). Didn't find the villains especially fun or interesting. The thing with Liquid's arm was just stupid. The plot felt a lot less cohesive than MGS', and by the end I was so completely and utterly lost I didn't give a crap about what was going on. Does the game actually make more sense on a second run-through?

Don't have MGS3 yet. I want to pick up Subsistence somewhere since it has the original Metal Gear games included.

Okay, enough of me being as longwinded and rambling as Kojima. The Metal Gear Solid games. Discuss.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:05 pm

The MGS series is awesome and there is no possible way to refute this claim.

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:25 pm

chee wrote:The MGS series is awesome and there is no possible way to refute this claim.

amen.

yet i still need to get around to playing Snake Eater...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:26 pm

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: Metal Gear Solid (game series)

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:18 pm

Reichu wrote:The thing with Liquid's arm was just stupid.

That's explained in MGS4. The explanation given is a lot more believable.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:34 pm

I think Snake Eater is a pretty cool guy. Eh loses his eye and doesn't afraid of anything.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:46 pm

chee wrote:The MGS series is awesome and there is no possible way to refute this claim.

Too much talking, not enough fucking shit up.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:49 pm

Ornette wrote:Too much talking, not enough fucking shit up.

Not really the main point of these games.

ZapalacX wrote:I think Snake Eater is a pretty cool guy. Eh loses his eye and doesn't afraid of anything.

lol

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:00 pm

Yeah, try about 60+ minutes for the epilogue cutscene.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:55 pm

I have to agree

cutscenes in video games in general are getting too long and I get a little pissed when I CAN'T EVEN FAST FORWARD THROUGH THEM BECAUSE THE GAME WON'T LET ME :tantrum:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:38 pm

I never got into MGS. The people at Penny Arcade certainly dislike it, and from what I've seen of the series, I'm inclined to agree with them.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 am

I love their comics, but their taste in games is eh.

Also, tactical espionage, not "OMG FUCK THAT TANK UP!".
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:01 pm

I take it you missed the runway sequence in MGS3. Naked Snake perched on the back of a motorcycle with a Stoner 63 going "URARARARARAAA!" equals much explosive win.

I quite like the series in general. My main gripes are that the PC port of MGS sucks, that the PC port of MGS2 is nearly impossible to find and that the PC port of MGS3 doesn't exist.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:52 pm

BobBQ wrote:

I take it you missed the runway sequence in MGS3. Naked Snake perched on the back of a motorcycle with a Stoner 63 going "URARARARARAAA!" equals much explosive win.

16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:39 pm

BobBQ wrote:

I don't think I could even make it that far in MSG3 before falling asleep from either having to listen to dialog, or sleeping through it then not knowing what I was supposed to do.

I think interactive fiction is cool, but for me, a lot of it is done in a way where you have to be interested in the story before hand, as opposed to just watching a random movie with, say, a Narrative Hook. Unless I care about what this guy keeps telling me, it's not going to be very fun. Interactive fiction like the glorified choose your own adventure games like Oblivion is a little better, because at least I'm interacting the whole time, as opposed to doing something, watching 5 minutes of cut scenes, moving a little and pressing a button, watching 5 more minutes of cut scenes, etc.

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:03 pm

How could the guy with a Solid Snake Avatar not show up and offer my $0.02?!

The series rocks. Although I was late to the party. I had intended to play them for a good long while, but I kept putting it off in favor of Zelda and Final Fantasy... But then Snake was in Smash Bros. Brawl and I kept hearing how MGS4 was going to be a total system mover, so I figured what the heck, and I hunted down the games.

I played Twin Snakes for the gameCube before the original, and it's pretty freakin' cool. Fans of the original might want to approach with caution though, as the game is almost too easy now. But the new cutscenes are completely awesome. :thumbsup:

I had a crappy experience with 2, yet loved it fully. I got Substance for the Xbox, but my Xbox utterly died so I got a copy of Sons of Liberty for about $4.60 and played it instead.

I had originally got Snake Eater for $10, but it was a non-Subsistence variety. Then I actually found a used copy of Subsistence so I snagged it... only to discover that it would totally skip out during cutscenes, and that is UNACCEPTABLE for enjoying a Metal Gear game. Unfortunately by that point... I had traded in Snake Eater toward the purchase of 4...

So then I said Screw it and just got the Essential Collection. Let it be known: the Essential Collection contains MGS2:Substance AND MGS3:Subsistence, so it's definitely worth your money.

And Reichu... do yourself a huge favor: get your hands on Subsistence. The ability to actually control the camera is fantastic. I personally think it's the only way to play that particular entry.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:51 pm

Ornette: Is MGS3 the only one you've played? I still haven't touched that one, so I don't know much about it, but there is actual stuff to do in the first two. I only started playing the games in the first place because the cut scenes caught my interest, so they don't bother me too much (except when they get cheesy or REALLLLLY drawn-out).

BobBQ wrote:I quite like the series in general. My main gripes are that the PC port of MGS sucks, that the PC port of MGS2 is nearly impossible to find and that the PC port of MGS3 doesn't exist.

I would have thought that you'd be nitpicking about every last thing in games like these. :tongue: So, being anti-console and all, what exactly has your course of action been, in terms of actually, really playing these games...?

Annihilationscape wrote:I had a crappy experience with 2, yet loved it fully.

(1) Crappy how so?
(2) BUT ZOMG RAIDEN

My memories of 2 are actually fairly stunted. I'm looking forward to playing it again. And not so much looking forward to the final batch of bosses in MGS1. I'm playing on Normal for the first time, and it hurts so much.

Let it be known: the Essential Collection contains MGS2:Substance AND MGS3:Subsistence, so it's definitely worth your money.

Apparently the Essential Collection flakes out on Subsistence's second disc (the one that has Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 and stuff).

Iron Rooster wrote:
Reichu wrote:The thing with Liquid's arm was just stupid.

That's explained in MGS4. The explanation given is a lot more believable.

I think I've read about what you're referring to, and I still think it has to be one of the absolute dumbest things in the series. Like, even dumber than the brown-haired Solid Snake being the one with Big Boss' recessive genes or some crap (wow, Kojima did a good job with that one).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:13 am

Reichu wrote:Ornette: Is MGS3 the only one you've played? I still haven't touched that one, so I don't know much about it, but there is actual stuff to do in the first two. I only started playing the games in the first place because the cut scenes caught my interest, so they don't bother me too much (except when they get cheesy or REALLLLLY drawn-out).

I've played either the first or second in its entirety. I have, however, watched someone play them both in its entirety, that was more fun than actually playing the game.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:07 am

Reichu wrote:I think I've read about what you're referring to, and I still think it has to be one of the absolute dumbest things in the series. Like, even dumber than the brown-haired Solid Snake being the one with Big Boss' recessive genes or some crap (wow, Kojima did a good job with that one).

Agreed. Guy who looks exactly like Big Boss got the shitty genes...hey wait.
I won.

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:03 am

(1) Crappy how so?

Basically because at this point in time... I've had to purchase it thrice.

Apparently the Essential Collection flakes out on Subsistence's second disc (the one that has Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 and stuff).

...Now I wish I'd have kept that disc before I traded in my faulty Subsistence copy. I thought it was all Metal Gear Online. Sadness has settled in. Oh well, there are still emulators. From what I've read, even the MSX versions can be emulated.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”