[MANGA] [NGE] Touji's fate (spoilers to volume 9).

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

[NGE] Touji's fate (spoilers to volume 9).

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:25 pm

one major difference in the manga is that Touji dies after piloting Eva-03. Besides the facts that this makes me sad, some observations:

- after Touji's death at the end of volume 6, we don't hear so much as a word of sorrow from Asuka and Rei. Rei's reaction is not so surprising, since she reacts differently to everything, but while Shinji is recovering from the incident, all Asuka says is "baka Shinji's nerves are more fragile than yours or mine." After taking the radical step of killing Touji, I'm surprised that Sadamoto doesn't show any character besides Shinji really upset about it.

- this lessens the impact of when Shinji will eventually kill Kaoru, which is the first time Shinji kills in the anime.

- Touji's death (combined with many darker elements in the manga) may be a clue that Sadamoto's end of Eva will not be a simple happy one some fans are hoping for.

- Touji's death leads Kaji to tell his origin in volume 7. Kaji says that since he, Misato and Shinji are all alive because another is dead, none of them "deserve to be happy." This is also Sadamoto's reason why Kaji and Misato broke up. I've never been sure just where Sadamoto is going with all this-- he introduced deaths in the past of Kaji and Shinji. why?

Tabris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabris » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:00 pm

Personally, I think Touji's dying in the manga was an improvement over his maiming in the anime. It really slams home a few things about the 'potential man-made violence' of the Eva, and Shinji's actual position as an Eva pilot, that I don't think he is fully aware of until this point... and as you mentioned, it sets Kaji up with a much better argument for persuading Shinji to use that position to later 'undo' some of this damage when he fights Zeruel willingly.

True, not all that many characters seem upset about Touji's death (neither do they seem to be in the anime) - except for Shinji. He's considerably more influenced and angry about it in the manga. Since our medium is Shinji, it's probably a little pointless to visit each of the other characters' feelings on the issue, at least from Sadamoto's point of view, trying to fit all of this into a dynamic and engaging train of pictures. *shrug*

Maybe Sadamoto emphasized deaths in the pasts of Kaji, Misato and Shinji because they are sharper examples of what is perhaps the primary theme of Evangelion. I mean, the whole Eva story could just as easily be titled "The Judgement of Life", couldn't it?

What Kaji says to Shinji in the store room I thought was such an eloquent way to convince him of that value, that wasn't communicated so well in the anime:

"You have it now. You have Suzuhara's life. You've still got flesh and blood because you took his. So how are you going to live that life... as if nothing happened?"

It would have convinced me in Shinji's position.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Touji's fate (spoilers to vol. 9)

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:39 pm

Otaprince wrote:- this lessens the impact of when Shinji will eventually kill Kaoru, which is the first time Shinji kills in the anime.

It would be the first time Shinji kills in the manga, as well.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tabris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabris » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:52 am

Otaprince wrote:- this lessens the impact of when Shinji will eventually kill Kaoru, which is the first time Shinji kills in the anime.

Perhaps, if we assume Sadamoto deals with this scene as the anime does. So far though, he's dealt with Kaworu's character in a very different way, and his eventual killing might well evoke a different kind of message or 'feel'.

...Who knows?
"One day I would learn how to laugh. Pablo was waiting for me, and Mozart too."

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:44 pm

Otaprince wrote:one major difference in the manga is that Touji dies after piloting Eva-03. Besides the facts that this makes me sad, some observations:

- after Touji's death at the end of volume 6, we don't hear so much as a word of sorrow from Asuka and Rei. Rei's reaction is not so surprising, since she reacts differently to everything, but while Shinji is recovering from the incident, all Asuka says is "baka Shinji's nerves are more fragile than yours or mine." After taking the radical step of killing Touji, I'm surprised that Sadamoto doesn't show any character besides Shinji really upset about it.

-----------------

Are you trying to say Asuka is self-centered? ;-) But, the reaction to Touji's death is shown later; in fact, it's the reason Shinji never goes back to school after Vol. 6, and runs away in guilt after seeing Hikari and Kensuke from a window. Nor is his apprehension misplaced; both Hikari and Kensuke feel they couldn't go back to just hanging out again. Shinji's really in a bad situation by the end of Vol. 9--he has no friends left, it seems, except possibly for Misato, whom, if she doesn't crack up, may be the best hope to save what can be saved for him (and everyone else). Remember, she's trying to carry out Kaji's mission...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:03 pm

Tabris wrote:Perhaps, if we assume Sadamoto deals with this scene as the anime does. So far though, he's dealt with Kaworu's character in a very different way, and his eventual killing might well evoke a different kind of message or 'feel'.

I.e., "good riddance!" ;)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Tabris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabris » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:43 pm

I.e., "good riddance!" ;)

At this rate, I'm expecting something distinctly 'Hitchcock'...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:52 pm

I'm kind of hoping Shinji will break Kaworu's neck Solid Snake-style.

"And this is for the kitty!" >snap<
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:49 pm

Reichu wrote:I'm kind of hoping Shinji will break Kaworu's neck Solid Snake-style.

"And this is for the kitty!" >snap<

I like the way you think Reichu :lol:
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:54 pm

I'm hoping Rei takes the bastard down.

" I am nothing like you. "

>snap<

but it will probly be Shinji
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Tabris
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabris » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:26 pm

I hope Kaworu self-destructs. Can't have enough big glittery explosions!

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:06 pm

Tabris wrote:I hope Kaworu self-destructs. Can't have enough big glittery explosions!

Kaworu is glam, so he deserves glitter. In an alternate life within the Instrumentality, he toured with Shinji, T. Rex, and The Move in the early 70s.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:27 pm

Tabris wrote:I hope Kaworu self-destructs. Can't have enough big glittery explosions!

Big Jim McBob: Kaworu, you never got to blow up in the TV show; do you know if you're going to blow up in the manga?

Kaworu: No, that stage hasn't been written yet.

Billy Sol Hurok: Well, just in case you don't get to, could you blow up right now?

Kaworu: I'd be happy to!

BOOOOOOMMMMM

Big Jim McBob: He done blowed up real good!

Billy Sol Hurok: Yeah, he was even better than John Cassaveties!
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”