[Film] Film talk thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Zuggy
Banned

[Film] Film talk thread

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Tue May 27, 2008 3:27 pm

ok
Last edited by Zuggy on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Are we contaminating your precious threads? :ting:
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Tue May 27, 2008 4:07 pm

One of my personal favorites is Children of Men
I think the story is executed great and the camera angles and stuff
This is one of my faves
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Tue May 27, 2008 4:49 pm

Indiana Jones movies...

Good, honest, satisfying fun. Even with Lucas fagging it up.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue May 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Oh wow :hahaha:

This reminds me I still haven't written response to Kubrick thread. Damn psychology papers has been keeping me busy *mumble mumble*

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 27, 2008 5:00 pm

EvaCub wrote:One of my personal favorites is Children of Men
I think the story is executed great and the camera angles and stuff.
The cinematography in CoM is absolutely incredible. Of course it didn't win the Oscar, because the Academy are morons who don't know crap about great cinema. I don't know if longer takes have ever been done in a film with THAT much action in it (well, Russian Ark besides). I thought the rest was rather forgettable though. It certainly doesn't have the narrative/thematic depth of Blade Runner.
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Tue May 27, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Tue May 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Dartz wrote:Indiana Jones movies...

Good, honest, satisfying fun. Even with Lucas messing it up.

language shall be enforced

CoM should have got something
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Tue May 27, 2008 5:49 pm

Not a huge film buff, but i've seen a fair few of Akira Kurosawa's films, and without a doubt they are some of my favorites. Beautiful films that are more like journeys in the way they unfold. granted they're usually quite slow, but i think this just adds to the overall ambiance--life moving at it's own pace. the colors and scenery are always perfect. Kurosawa was a genius with this, an example being the great river shot with Tatsuya Nakadai in Kagemusha. My other favorites of his would probably be Ran, Rashomon, Seven Samurai, and Throne of Blood. Mostly i've just seen his samurai themed stuff, but i'd like to check out his other works as well.

also, i like a little J-horror now and then. some notables being the Dark Tales of Japan series, Ju-on (the original Grudge), and Kwaidan. still need to check out the uzumaki movie--guaranteed lulz, i'm sure.

i assume we're leaving animated films out, though, so i won't expound in that realm at the moment. :wink:

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 27, 2008 6:46 pm

zimlord wrote:Not a huge film buff, but i've seen a fair few of Akira Kurosawa's films, and without a doubt they are some of my favorites.
:thumbsup: My favorite director. I love his combination of Eastern mysticism, history, poetic imagery, and aesthetic rhythm with Western narrative sensibilities. For me, there's only been a few directors that have been able to combine the artistic styles of Western and Eastern art and Kurosawa was, IMO, the best (Kubrick was another). If you like his samurai films definitely don't miss Yojimbo (my namesake) and Sanjuro, which are perhaps his two "funnest" films.

If you're looking to branch out from Kurosawa into other world cinema (he was my introduction as well) I recommend Theyshootpictures lists:

1000 Greatest Films
Top 100 Films
Top 100 Directors

For other great Japanese films, check out the two available Kenji Mizoguchi films (Ugetsu and Sansho the Bailiff), and Yasujiro Ozu.

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Tue May 27, 2008 9:42 pm

good stuff, man. :thumbsup:

i actually saw ugetsu a while ago. i liked it for what it was, but I wouldn't put it up there with the other films i mentioned. wasn't too memorable.

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Tue May 27, 2008 9:48 pm

I have always quite liked Amadeus.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Squirrel Ninja
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Squirrel Ninja » Tue May 27, 2008 10:37 pm

Amadeus is good stuff for sure.
I rematched American Beauty and Fight Club Today two of my favs.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Wed May 28, 2008 5:41 am

My favourite film has to be Back To the Future. "One point twenty-one jiggawatts!" ftw.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:39 am

^agreed^ :madscience:

the Clocktower/lightning scene, teh BEST. ACTION. SEQUENCE. EVAR!
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 28, 2008 10:16 am

zimlord wrote:i actually saw ugetsu a while ago. i liked it for what it was, but I wouldn't put it up there with the other films i mentioned. wasn't too memorable.
I disagree. It's haunting in a way few films are. It's also one of the most beautiful films I've seen. Mizoguchi's moving camera and atmospheric long-takes are just pristine. I also think the end is incredibly emotional, and the magical way Mizoguchi resurrects both the house and the wife in a single take is amazing. It's actually #50 on Theyshootpictures 1000 greatest films list and cracks my personal top 15.

ThroneofDravaris wrote:I have always quite liked Amadeus.
Certainly a triumph of art direction, production, and acting. Probably the best combination of great film and great music in existence.

Squirrel Ninja wrote:I rematched American Beauty and Fight Club Today two of my favs.
Two good ones that I think only suffer with repeat viewings. The former is a bit too sentimental for my taste and Fight Club is one of the few films I might label pretentious in terms of its substance... but as a kind of delirious thriller it works well.

master_lloyd wrote:My favourite film has to be Back To the Future. "One point twenty-one jiggawatts!" ftw.
I've actually used "1.21 Jiggawatts" as a screen name on a number of sites. :D

Squirrel Ninja
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Squirrel Ninja » Wed May 28, 2008 4:18 pm

ITT, people post there top tens, I want to see what mighty Jimbo keeper of the film tech posts.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed May 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Squirrel Ninja wrote:ITT, people post there top tens, I want to see what mighty Jimbo keeper of the film tech posts.

Well here's Yojimbo's directors Top Ten

1. Akira Kurosawa
2. Ingmar Bergman
3. Hou Hsiao-hsien
4. John Ford
5. Stanley Kubrick
6. Alfred Hitchcock
7. David Lynch
8. Jean-Luc Godard
9. Yasujiro Ozu
10. Luis Bunuel

I have to say during the long days of lurking in Eva Monkey (often I was very near to registering) I noticed how no one really argued against Yojimbo in these kinds of things. That's partially the reason why I like to argue and talk about these all kinds of "movie stuff" with him, sure he has more experience than I do but someone must at least occasionally disagree and use his own devices/weapons against him :hahaha:

(oh, and I really love that smiley )

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 28, 2008 4:56 pm

Xard copied/pasted my top 10 directors, and here's my top 25 films (I plan on expanding both lists soon):

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion/The End of Evangelion
2. The Seven Samurai
3. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Mulholland Drive
5. The Passion of Joan of Arc
6. The Seventh Seal
7. Ikiru
8. Yi Yi
9. Late Spring
10. The Puppetmaster
11. The Godfather Pt. II
12. Raging Bull
13. Sunrise
14. Ugetsu
15. The Wizard of Oz
16. My Darling Clementine
17. Citizen Kane
18. Contempt
19. Grave of the Fireflies
20. A City of Sadness
21. L’Avventura
22. Rear Window
23. Some Like it Hot
24. Once Upon a Time in America
25. The Third Man

Xard wrote:I have to say during the long days of lurking in Eva Monkey (often I was very near to registering) I noticed how no one really argued against Yojimbo in these kinds of things. That's partially the reason why I like to argue and talk about these all kinds of "movie stuff" with him, sure he has more experience than I do but someone must at least occasionally disagree and use his own devices/weapons against him :hahaha:
(oh, and I really love that smiley )
:ting: Hey, everyone around here needs a niche, and mine happens to be NGE in a film context. Don't take a way my niche you bastard!

*ahem*

That smiley looks like he's having a series of epileptic face seizures.

Squirrel Ninja
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Squirrel Ninja » Thu May 29, 2008 10:35 am

Of your stuff, Jimbo, I've only seen 7th seal (not bad) and GoTFF and Oz neither of which I really cared for. My top ten
1) NGE, End of Evangelion (No Contest)
2) Fight Club (The Philopsychology does it for me)
3) The Shawshank Redemption (just for awesomeness)
4) Good Will Hunting (awesomeness plus psychology)
5) The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lector FTW)
6) American Beauty (A little sentimental yes, but it's plausable)
7) Amadeus (Like Shawshank, here for it's awesome)
8) The Matrix (Here's to The Rebuild of the Matrix)
9) Sean of the Dead (For the lulz)
10) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Style over substance here)

Xard this should be case and point, compare his list and mine, I've never heard of most of his list, he's got a list of directors, and six shots of film critique in his right holster, dude knows his shit.

As a side note I've got a thing for film noir style movies, but I've only seen stuff that's inspired from it (Bebop / Sin City that sort of thing) any recommendations for some old school film noir.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu May 29, 2008 1:14 pm

I'll do the cliche and say The Maltese Falcon. There's many other ones too but my head feels a bit empty now

Squirrel Ninja wrote:Of your stuff, Jimbo, I've only seen 7th seal (not bad) and GoTFF and Oz neither of which I really cared for. My top ten
1) NGE, End of Evangelion (No Contest)
2) Fight Club (The Philopsychology does it for me)
3) The Shawshank Redemption (just for awesomeness)
4) Good Will Hunting (awesomeness plus psychology)
5) The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lector FTW)
6) American Beauty (A little sentimental yes, but it's plausable)
7) Amadeus (Like Shawshank, here for it's awesome)
8) The Matrix (Here's to The Rebuild of the Matrix)
9) Sean of the Dead (For the lulz)
10) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Style over substance here)

Xard this should be case and point, compare his list and mine, I've never heard of most of his list, he's got a list of directors, and six shots of film critique in his right holster, dude knows his shit.

As a side note I've got a thing for film noir style movies, but I've only seen stuff that's inspired from it (Bebop / Sin City that sort of thing) any recommendations for some old school film noir.

YOU DIDN'T CARE FOR GRAVE OF FIREFLIES? YOU DIDN'T CARE FOR GRAVE OF FIREFLIES?

YOU ARE NOT HUMAN

Return to “Film and Video”