Strangling!!!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Strangling!!!

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Mon May 19, 2008 12:13 pm

After reading another thread that mentioned strangling, just how many times does strangling occur from beginning to end of the show?

There's at least Shinji strangling Asuka x 2, Shinji strangling mini Shinji (think about it . . .), and Naoko strangling Rei.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Stacifer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stacifer » Mon May 19, 2008 12:50 pm

unit 01 strangling unit 03 and vice versa ;) I know that it doesn't count, but in the manga, Asuka's mother strangling little Asuka, well it's only brief but yup!

lol@ Shinji strangling mini Shinji!!!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 19, 2008 1:05 pm

And in the manga, again, Asuka strangling Shinji in the hospital scene, plus Ritsuko strangling Rei.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Stacifer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stacifer » Mon May 19, 2008 1:21 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:And in the manga, again, Asuka strangling Shinji in the hospital scene, plus Ritsuko strangling Rei.

Which volume is that in? I mean Ritsuko strangling Rei? I read about it in the character profile for Ritsuko alright, but I can't remember which one it's in.

terminus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby terminus » Mon May 19, 2008 2:25 pm

does Asuka's mom strangling/hanging herself count?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 19, 2008 2:41 pm

Stacifer wrote:Which volume is that in? I mean Ritsuko strangling Rei?

Volume 8 -- stage 56.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:50 am

I'm wondering why strangling was relatively commonplace in the series...? Maybe it represented something?
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 20, 2008 12:55 am

Using your hands is the next best thing when you don't have a handy dandy gun at your disposal. Of course strangling would be common.

Plus, it represents that brutality of finally being pushed over the edge and losing it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 20, 2008 1:36 am

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Maybe it represented something?
Do a strangling motion with your hands and notice the shape. Now open your hands and place them palm up in front of you. Notice the contrast of positions and note how that's relevant throughout NGE. If you don't get it, just ask and I'll explain further.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 20, 2008 1:49 am

...... Pervert.

Also, Kyoko strangled a doll. (Plus she ripped one's head off, and put one on a noose, and...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue May 20, 2008 1:52 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
BEsERk EVA01 wrote:Maybe it represented something?
Do a strangling motion with your hands and notice the shape. Now open your hands and place them palm up in front of you. Notice the contrast of positions and note how that's relevant throughout NGE. If you don't get it, just ask and I'll explain further.

I don't get it. Explain. Well, what's the shape it DOES make that makes appearances relevant to Eva?

Reichu wrote:Pervert

Are you onto something here?
>>Nothing<<

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 20, 2008 4:14 am

BEsERk EVA01 wrote:I don't get it. Explain. Well, what's the shape it DOES make that makes appearances relevant to Eva?
The times we see the open palms is always equated with life - blood from Rei, semen over Asuka, Adam embryo, Lilith & Adam opening their Doors of Guf. Everytime they're closed it's equated with death - the strangulations. Then we see the clenching/unclenching - decision/indecision. Finally, in the finale we see both a strangulation and a caress. It's the final iteration of this whole death, life, despair, hope, choice motif done entirely through the images of hands.

Pretty neat, huh?
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby majlund » Tue May 20, 2008 4:23 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:The times we see the open palms is always equated with life - blood from Rei, semen over Asuka, Adam embryo, Lilith & Adam opening their Doors of Guf. Everytime they're closed it's equated with death - the strangulations. Then we see the clenching/unclenching - decision/indecision. Finally, in the finale we see both a strangulation and a caress. It's the final iteration of this whole death, life, despair, hope, choice motif done entirely through the images of hands.

Pretty neat, huh?

Very neat. This is indeed the power of a recurring motif in action.
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 20, 2008 5:08 am

majlund wrote:Very neat. This is indeed the power of a recurring motif in action.
Even more than that, two of the specific instances - blood of Rei, semen over Asuka - symbolically expresses the duality of Instrumentality VS. Individualism, returning to the mother or growing up and leaving that comfort in rather neat ways - blood associated with LCL, which is analogous to amniotic fluid, and semen which is metonymic of burgeoning sexuality. So you actually have a motif embedded in a motif.

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Tue May 20, 2008 7:17 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:The times we see the open palms is always equated with life - blood from Rei, semen over Asuka, Adam embryo, Lilith & Adam opening their Doors of Guf. Everytime they're closed it's equated with death - the strangulations. Then we see the clenching/unclenching - decision/indecision. Finally, in the finale we see both a strangulation and a caress. It's the final iteration of this whole death, life, despair, hope, choice motif done entirely through the images of hands.

Pretty neat, huh?

You know, in my "How often does Shinji Spank his Monkey" thread, I asked about Shinji's odd hand clasping thing. I guess that's the answer right there.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 am

Iron Rooster wrote:You know, in my "How often does Shinji Spank his Monkey" thread, I asked about Shinji's odd hand clasping thing. I guess that's the answer right there.
I always thought that was one of the more obvious ones, glad I could help though.

terminus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby terminus » Tue May 20, 2008 2:01 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
majlund wrote:Very neat. This is indeed the power of a recurring motif in action.
Even more than that, two of the specific instances - blood of Rei, semen over Asuka - symbolically expresses the duality of Instrumentality VS. Individualism, returning to the mother or growing up and leaving that comfort in rather neat ways - blood associated with LCL, which is analogous to amniotic fluid, and semen which is metonymic of burgeoning sexuality. So you actually have a motif embedded in a motif.

nice, man Anno thinks up everything doesn't he?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue May 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:And in the manga, again, Asuka strangling Shinji in the hospital scene

She actually strangled him first in volume 5, but that was more of a comic moment. A hint of things to come perhaps?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Tue May 20, 2008 9:16 pm

Bardiel
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:29 pm

Stacifer wrote:unit 01 strangling unit 03 and vice versa ;) I know that it doesn't count, but in the manga, Asuka's mother strangling little Asuka, well it's only brief but yup!

lol@ Shinji strangling mini Shinji!!!

It's a good idea to read the above posts, no?

And there was one in EoE when the UN attacked Nerv where one of the Nerv guards got killed because one of the soldiers did a "strangling" motion to him.
>>Nothing<<

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”