[LAEM] What's wrong with them changing it?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

What's wrong with them changing it?

Postby anatrok » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:02 pm

Why is it that so many people are worried that these ADV is going to fuck up the movie if they change anything. I would like it to be different from the anime, a lot. If they only thing that's similar is Eva, Plugsuits, and The Cruel Angel Thesis, thats fine by me. I don't even expect them to follow the same story as the anime. I don't want to see the same story again, I can watch the anime for that, you know.

Does anyone think I'm on drugs for saying this?

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: What's wrong with them changing it?

Postby bp32 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:17 pm

anatrok wrote:Does anyone think I'm on drugs for saying this?

Wow, did you really have to ask :) j/k

I think some people are afraid that even slight changes this early suggests that the movie will be changed a great deal, losing a great deal of its connection to the series and the meaning behing it--style triumphing over substance...as for me, I am undecided at the moment--I think it is too early to tell. More to the point, I don't think the parties involved even know where it is going to lead. Taking a wait and see attitude myself...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

aCynicalPie
Embryo

Postby aCynicalPie » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:18 am

I'd rather they create something new. Make new characters, make a new storyline.
If they make a few changes it screws up my interpretations of the characters, and possibly my fantasies.
So make something different, that is a complete refresher.

I made a long post about this general topic on trivialbeing...

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:55 am

then i guess it won't be Evangelion..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

Postby MongolSquad » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:33 am

Hardcore fans are naturally whiny. Look at LOTR. It's in our nature to complain.

Tsukasa
Adam

Postby Tsukasa » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:38 pm

Well, if the Eva movies was just being made for the fans, than maybe a different story may prove to be interesting, since we have the real one in the anime. BUT, the anime is being made for everyone, so the original story will still be brand new material for most people who will go and see it.

I say they stick to the original as much as they can, otherwise, it can't be called Evangelion...the story is to unique to be changed anyway.
Romans 3:23

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:12 pm

Let me put it this way did any one here ever see " Dungeons & Dragons The movie " ?

I've played DnD for years and seeing that pile of crap made me sick.

We don't want to see Eva given that kind of bad name.

Think of Lord f the rings movies and how close thay tryed to stay to the orginal material. Now watch DnD the movie and see how bad it could have been.

Tolkien fans count your selves lucky.

Eva fans quake with fear over what may be coming.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby anatrok » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:23 pm

Hey I didn't think the D&D movie was that bad, I mean it wasn't great but it was kinda fun to watch. I may remember incorrectly though.

But, yeah your right i don't think I would like it if there weren't any connections to the anime.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:50 pm

I'm so tempted to reiterate my stance on the issue, but that volume's been bitched out.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

konnor
Embryo

Postby konnor » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:13 pm

if anno directes the live action movie

then there is absolutley nothing to worry about!
if not...

then the point of that movie is gone
god came up to me and had more questions than i did

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby anatrok » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:16 pm

I hate it when people say that. The point is to get people interested in the anime, so we can get stuff that's only been avalible in Japan. Like Asuka blow-up dolls. I mean those groundwork books, yeah, those.

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby rip3mwk » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:20 pm

i agree - knowing how little the executive producers actually understand about eva, there is quite a large chance of a bomb. yet a great director can do great things. we'll have to wait and see. hey has there been any real concrete evidence lately reguarding the movie(s) actually being made - i mean it got the green light 4.5ish yrs. ago with fellowship and i haven't seen much after the weta interviews and concept art revealed a while ago. Where's the proof?

Crazyman42
Lilith

Re: What's wrong with them changing it?

Postby Crazyman42 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:41 pm

anatrok wrote:
Does anyone think I'm on drugs for saying this?

I do.

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby anatrok » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:52 pm

This was three months ago. And I still stand by what I said. I don't want to see the series with people, so the only thing I know wouldn't disapoint me is translations of some Japanese books, and hell, maybe an anthology of the games, translated. Now, that I would pay some money for.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:02 pm

...The point is to get people interested in the anime...

While your punctuation made it hard to tell, I'm almost certain you were being sarcastic with this statement. You don't feed a baby carrots in order to get him to like oatmeal.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby anatrok » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:33 pm

Ok, I mean companies thinking that people are gonna be interested in the anime.

Prons
Embryo

Postby Prons » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:27 am

I'd like to see the Eva anime, but depicted as a standard Giant Robot VS The Sea Monster show direction that the Evangelion anime was on the path to in the early episodes.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:05 am

I hate to say it but the live action movie might land up like that.

The way I see it the movie is going to need to be 3-4 hrs, but they are going to make it between 90 - 120 mins.

They are probably going to skip Shinji's arrival and jump to about just before Asuka's arrival or maybe just After.

So thats at least 7-10 eps gone. so 16 eps to go. By missing those eps we are missing up to 5 angels

If they could give a quick introduction, in line with "evangelion theory", then it wouldnt be to bad. This introduction should be about 10 - 15 mins long at most or so.

The are going to probably miss the last 2 eps and relpace them with a 5-15 min ending sequence ( at most).

The rest of the movie is going to be action based. :cry:

Every way you look at it The live action movie is not going to have the same elements as the tv series. There is a 1 - 2 % chance of it following it exactly.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Mr. Bud
Lilith

Postby Mr. Bud » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:38 am

Personally, I like WETA's designs for the plug suits. They look more "natural". It just seems to me that if they made the plug suits look exactly like in the anime they'd end up looking silly. Almost "loud".

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:52 am

I like the designs but the storyline is going to be the main factor in pleasing true anime and true evangelion fans.

If the story line fails then the live action movie will fail as well even if it has ground breaking graphics.

If the mess up the story then they might as well say good bye to a few million dollars
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”