Asuka and Misato

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Asuka and Misato

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:31 pm

The relationship between these to is one of the least talked about i've seen on these boards, so i figured it might be intresting to give it a shot.

Misato we learn has been Asuka guardian at some point in the past, and at first the two seem to be friendly, or at least "professional" . As time goes on and Misato's relationship with Kaji gets a bit more screen time we see Asuka begin to take a greater dislike to Misato one can guss as she begins to see her as a rival.

Misato seems to get to know Shinji as time goes on an grow closer to him to a point, and she takes an active role in helping him gt to know people.
I can't think of once when these to really did anything together. Am i wrong?

Correct me if im wrong but the only time I think ether of these two makes any attempt to make a connection with the other is when Asuka asks to borrow Misatos perfume. Misato turns Asuka down and tells her that " that stuff is not for kids." Somthing that we all know the ever trying to be grown up Asuka didn't like very much.

Now if we take a step back and look at their characters a bit this is not really that supprising.

Misato has mainly surface level relationships keeping people at arms lenght to keep from getting hurt. Somthing that steems from a great tragity in her past, and the lose of her father with whome she had a bit of a love/hate relationship. She takes her job at NERV very seriusly and is very good at it.

Asuka likewise keeps most people at arms length by trying to play up her piloting an eva, and trying to act grown up. Being an Eva pilot is her main source of self-worth and her lifes work since she was very young. Of course their is the matter of her mothers suicide to make her afraid of getting close to anyone.

Now I could go on but I think most can see what im hinting at these two are more alike then they are diffrent, and their in i think is the problem. These too are to alike to get along with out some kind of out side intrevention.

What do you people think of my theory?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:29 am

I think one of the show's larger payoff themes is that everyone is keeping others at arms' length. I'm not clear on what your theroy entails.

Also, when was it given that Misato used to be Asuka's guardian? My unerstanding is simply that they met sometime in Germany. Otherwise, it should seem certain to Asuka that Misato would know about her past, and would therefore have no real reason to inquire.

I've often opted to liken Misato, Shinji, and Asuka to a sort of three-sibling dynamic at its surface level, but I now realize that no side of the triangle ever shortens enough to approach that. Misato has a tendency to be less aggressive to Shinji on account of A.) he's a boy, and B.) Asuka's skin is presented as being much thicker, and aggression, however subtle, is believed to have far less dire repercussions when engaged in a relationship with her, kind of like that bully in elementary school that everyone came to make fun of until they learned hat the child was emotionally scarred on the inside. Misato simply has an impression of Asuka that she is tougher than she really is, and who wouldn't given the girl's accomplishments. This is simply an illustration of how both withdrawal (Shinji) and compensation (Asuka) can become problematic in dealing with inner demons, and while Misato also has these, it would be lopsided to try to factor them in too heavily; she is the illustrative and thematically innocent yardstick by which these dynamics are measured.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:17 am

Also, when was it given that Misato used to be Asuka's guardian?

In one of the directors cuts when Asuka and Kaji are looking at the stars on "the over the rainbow" she mentions that miasto was the " one before you Kaji". She also mentions that misatos is a slob in a way by say that she was very " efected" in they way she lives.

AS for my theory its simple they are to alike to get close really. Like to magnets with the same polarity.

*Edit with additional stuff*

What im really asking here is why did it seem that Misato & Asuka barly attempted to grow closer if at all over the series?

My theory on this was that they were to alike to really connect.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:05 am

What im really asking here is why did it seem that Misato & Asuka barly attempted to grow closer if at all over the series?

My theory on this was that they were to alike to really connect.

My theory is that Asuka was simply too unpleasant to attempt to relate to on any level deeper than absolutely necessary.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:33 pm

14 years old can be that way, trust me i've know worse then Asuka.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”