Subbed or Dubbed?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Alien Guy
Embryo

Postby Alien Guy » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:01 pm

Well i like both, of course for me the Japanese version is the best version, man they just know how to scream. The dub is good as well, a bit cartoony at first but the characters get better as the series goes along.

RubberSoul
Lilith

Postby RubberSoul » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:31 pm

I like both, but I prefer the sub.
I can only take so much retarded.

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:33 pm

Personally I like them both, the dubs for the fact that they gave a little extra humor here and there plus the extra GErman snippets and stuff and the Sub for the fact that the VAs are amazing all of the time, but Asuka's dosn't say Schiesst........
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

secondson
Embryo

Postby secondson » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:29 am

I personally prefer the sub vs. the dub when it comes to Evangelion. Like a lot of other series, unfortunately, the dub version just felt bumpy and flat, to me the Japanese seems to flow a lot better. I find the characters' emotions seemed to be conveyed much more clearly in the sub, whereas the dub just feels a little uninspired. Perhaps it's a translation thing, who knows.

As not to say the actors chosen for the English translation didn't do a good job (the actress who voiced Rei in the dub, for example, I thought did a really good job), it just felt to me sometimes that the actors portraying the characters didn't always have the voices to match...

Besides, I really, really hated Aaron Krohn's portrayal as Kaji in the dub - just something about his voice drives me up the wall :?
All right, when I say your name, you say here. And we will assume here is short for Here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

sadsadshinji
Lilin
Lilin

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:25 pm

sub all the way...the Japanese voices are just better...i think...
the english Shinji sounds a bit too whiny sometimes...

Asuka Loves Toji
Adam

Postby Asuka Loves Toji » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:21 pm

subs..seriously guys, in the dubs Asuka sounds like a 40 year old lady, Shinji sounds (actually he was alright alittle mtoo overeactionary at points), toji sounds like a person deep outta brooklyn, hikari sounds like she came from alabama, and Rei has waaaay toomuch emotion in her voice. Misato was ok, Kaji coulda been a lot better, and gendo sounded too lively himself. oh as for eoe, since when was hyuga black O-o?
comming soon so a siggy near you

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:58 pm

Yeah, but in the Sub Rei sounded nearly dead and I found it hard to actully form a conection to her character as I did in the dub. And I liked Hyyuga new voice... just like Karwous and Kajis were better as well...
^Clicky for Evamade!

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:25 pm

Yea Hyuga kinda sounded black in EoE lol. But.... Touji did not have anything resembling a brooklyn accent, and Hikari did not have have a southern accent at all.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:29 pm

Wasn't Rei suppose to sound that way? I'm quite sure I would like the subbed version better.. IF I spoke Japanese. If only Anno could have directed the english voice actors... I wonder if he even speaks English?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel

Postby wildarmsheero » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:48 pm

I'm pretty sure the Japanese know some English. Remember Misato's "You are number one"?
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:45 am

They all take English classes in school, but not everyone pays attention in school :lol: .

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby EVA-01X » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:24 pm

Yeah, but it dosn't mean that they're fullent in English though....
^Clicky for Evamade!

wildarmsheero
Tunniel

Postby wildarmsheero » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:32 pm

wildarmsheero wrote:I'm pretty sure the Japanese know some English. Remember Misato's "You are number one"?
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby coff » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:53 pm

yea when I said "not everyone pays attention in school", I was implying that most of them aren't fluent in English.

sadsadshinji
Lilin
Lilin

Postby sadsadshinji » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:58 am

they may be fluent just with a little accent...lol
and when was hyuga black?????????? whatever...
also in the dub maya sounds like ritsuko and gendo sounds way too young...as with fuyutsuki

the-artist-known-as-chris
Adam

sub

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:27 pm

I respect the english actors from the eva dub, most of them did a great job, but the subbed is the way to go. The original Japanese actors are just perfect to the characters and the emotion and delivery of they're lines just are not topped by the eva dub.
Last edited by the-artist-known-as-chris on Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

revival
Embryo

Postby revival » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:50 am

i personally like sub... dont knwo y, but subs just feel more original, it comes straight form the oven, wat the original acters wanted ot to be like, nothin changed. maybe its jsut my stereotypical mind taht dub=change in content O.o
bleh, for hte subtitles it dont relaly bother me, never was really a concern

and i sort of feel funny when u see Japanese anime speaking english.... feels out of place ><" its like seeing canadians speaking chinese lol

ya so sub all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Timesplitter 01
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:06 am

dubbed would be my choice over subbed. But if it is subbed I wouldnt mind that much
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:41 pm

In any situation whatsoever, I always choose subs over dubs, simply because you are experiencing the original production. (Well, as best as can be translated, anyway.) The performance is not bogged down by the task of having to synchronize with flapping lips. In all of my experience, watching a dubbed anime in a room with non-anime people is just embarassing; it's goofy and attracts scoffing, and later judgment. That's not to say that all dub actors are bad. Most of them are bad. The ones in Evanglion are the best I've ever heard, although there are still some dub lines in there that make me chuckle.

And just a question, but why is there always so much needless grunting in dubs? It seems like every motion of the character has to be acccompanied by some noise to indicate the emotion with which they execute it. 'Huh?', 'Hmm', 'Wha--', 'Grrr'. I mean, what is that?! Is there fear that people won't perceive the character's motivation without those cues?

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Nephilim » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:04 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:And just a question, but why is there always so much needless grunting in dubs? It seems like every motion of the character has to be acccompanied by some noise to indicate the emotion with which they execute it. 'Huh?', 'Hmm', 'Wha--', 'Grrr'. I mean, what is that?! Is there fear that people won't perceive the character's motivation without those cues?

Hahaha, i've never seen dubs like that, but may be because is difficult to cathch the expression and feelings of the Japanese voices. (at least in my case).
That's why i preffer dubs, because when i hear a grown man speaking in Japanese i always think they are angry and i'm afraid they will beat the crap out of me!!!. And when i hear a woman speaking in Japanese, they seem like little girls.
I like dubs because they adapt the feelings of the character to our language (in my case, spanish).

By the way Hexon.Arq, nice avatar!, mixin' Evangelion with Manson, Evangelion and Antichrist is too much conceptual stuff for my brain, it hurts :cry:
*insert cool signature here*

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”