[LAEM] Instrumentality Sequence

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

[LAEM] Instrumentality Sequence

Postby Chowwow » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:53 am

In a movie about Evangelion, there will be a mention about Instrumentality (it is the ultimate goal of all the powers that be in the story after all). Obviously, a sequence involving Instrumentality would be very surreal and even confusing to many people in the audience. However, I feel that a sequence in Instrumentality could really flesh out the inner personalities of the characters.

I was thinking about the original Instrumentality scenes in both the anime and in the movie. The anime consisted of a single morning with Shinji going about a normal life in school. The movie version was a live-action sequence with Shinji out of the picture. Obviously, there are different takes as to how Instrumentality would be like even from the perspective of one character (both were experience dreamt up by Shinji).

What I would like to see in the live-action movie is essentially the reverse of the sequence in End of Evangelion: when Shinji is pulled into Instrumentality, the movie shifts into an anime format and we see all the actors as anime versions of themselves. This sequence would be much longer than the scene in the last episode but more focused to the original personalities of the characters than EoE.

-----------------------
Here's my scenario:

The scene begins with our animated Shinji waking up to the sound of Asuka's voice. He feels disoriented and tired, thinking that all the experiences before where all just a bad dream. Shinji walks out of his room to be greeted by his mother and father at the kitchen, acting carefree and even jovial as if noting bad has happened.

After Shinji is comically pulled out of his apartment by Asuka, the rest of the scene plays out like the Instrumentality seen at the last episode and the first part of the Girlfriend of Steel 2 manga (this time, however, I would like Rei to act more or less the same as the real Rei we all know and love, because I feel Shinji likes her more as the quiet and shy girl she is).

We meet all the characters, major and minor, in animated form along the way. The light-hearted mood and humor will remind people what Eva was like in the good old days as Shinji feels more at ease with his surroundings.

However it soon hits home to Shinji that what he is experiencing isn't real and, in a dramatic and sudden nervous breakdown around all his friends, Shinji pulls himself away from the illusion.

The movie then returns to the live-action format. After that comes the conversation Shinji has with Rei, then with his mother, and finally his rejection of Instrumentality.
--------------------------------

So what does everyone think? What would be an interesting way to present Instrumentality in the Live-action movie? How else can this scene be translated on the big screen? Should it remain serious and surreal? Frivolous and surreal? Should it be shortened? Forgotten? Would anyone here be able to stomach such a scene?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:37 am

They should squeeze a bunch of oranges and spill the juice all over.

Or they should make it REAL trippy and when Instrumentality kicks in, switch to anime mode.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:45 am

Start off in swirly dream Instrumentality mode, go back through all the events that happened to lead up to that, and then end with a dark, introspective instrumentality, and then Shinji strangling Asuka on a beach.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 pm

Just evangelize (hur hur) Beyond Infinite section of Space Odyssey 2001

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby universalperson » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:05 pm

I would include two Instrumentality scenes. The first is the aborted live action one where Shinji wishes for a world where he dosen't exist. After seeing it for awhile, he's asked "Is this what you want?" He answers no, and we cut two the Episode 26 alternate universe. I agree it should be animated, although I am prone to having Rei (and Kaworu) wake up Shinji and having him run into the foreign exchange student Asuka. But that's just me.

Anywho, Shinji likes it, but realizes that is just not real. Introspection which hammers in the message that it's wrong to run from reality. Then the farewell to Yui Ikari.

Now I see two different perspectives. One is the typical Shinji and Asuka on the beach. The other looks like it will be Shinji and Asuka on the beach, but instead he helps her up and we cut to the other characters arising from the sea, ending with Eva-01 in space. Because Americans are used to happy endings, unfortunately.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 04, 2008 7:01 pm

I think an interesting way to depict Instrumentality (though I dunno if this would happen) is something like while Rei and Shinji are discussing things about life, in the background we the original seiyuu and voice actor for the main characters (Misato, Shinji, Rei and Asuka) doing some...thing/mirroring each other.

This sounded cooler and somewhat more tripped out in my head but either way I guess it'd be hard to get them all together just for some nonspoken(?) cameos like that.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

RandomStuff
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby RandomStuff » Wed May 07, 2008 10:48 pm

Xard wrote:Just evangelize (hur hur) Beyond Infinite section of Space Odyssey 2001

Exactly what I was thinking
Irrelevance is the key to success! Losbacas.com
It's like pulling teeth from the corpses of the defiled!-Jake
Wayne's cancer-curing hair cures cancer!
The golden magic 8-ball says you must die...

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”