Recommend some fanfiction....

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Recommend some fanfiction....

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:05 pm

I did a search and didn't find a topic, so why not? I thought. I'm looking to get back into reading fics, again, rather than just writing or spamming the crap out of the backend of the internet.

So, what do people out there like to read?

In return I offer the following recommendations:
Shinji and Warhammer40k by Charles Bhepin

Dissection by Himonky.

Evangelion_Dating_Simulator By Rahxephon.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:28 pm

There have been a couple of indirect recommendations threads, but here's my list:

The Tenant of Room 404 -- 'nuff said.

The Second Child — Promises To Keep -- the only mistake it makes is in carrying on beyond the end.

Shin Kakumei Evangelion (Neon Revolution Evangelion)
. It fuses NGE with Shoujo Kakumei Utena, but in such a way (including cast list with pictures) that it doesn't matter if you haven't seen the latter, and merely encountered the ubiquitous Arisugawa Juri in othercontexts. Obviously I can't comment on how it works the other way around.

Purists have objected that Shinji is given a life in this one, but to my mind, he's actually pushed into the background enough by the other new characters that I don't have to worry about him — this is at least as much Tenjou Utena's story.

Erishiumu kara no Shoujo (Daughter of Elysium) is the only other fic I've found with an Asuka/Kaworu pairing. The only complaint I have about this one is that it failed to confront Third Impact or Instrumentality, stopping dead after the equivalent of episode 24.

In the yuri line : Maya and Asuka at the time of that wedding, A Little Different and an Asuka/Rei-just-out-of-the-shower scene The Visitor(lemon).

It is not chic to admit to liking the following; but if you don't expect it to be Eva, but a competently written Mary Sue (with emphasis on the competency — you don't realise until long after the event that you've just worked your way through pages of intense luggage packing action) then Neon Exodus Evangelion might be more your sort of thing. It's technically well written enough, and appealed to my sense of humour enough (anyone who has read it will understand what I mean when I refer to Rei's line “Should I be?”) that I don't have any qualms recommending it with the above provisos.

For humour, Misato's Predicament -- in which Misato discovers her inner lesbian, and chaos ensues.

Oh yeah, and my own stuff, natch.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:50 pm

First rule of NXE. You don't talk about NXE...

well, at least I don't. It was well written, just not Eva...or some other fanfics in other fandoms involving incredibly well-written Mary-Sues.

Despite Mr. Tines allergic reaction, I reccomend finding Higher Learning by Strike Fiss (Just google, or look on TVtropes.org, I put it on there), though its Waffy, has a borderline Marty Sue, and was obviously written during a period when the Angels were thought to be...Angelic.

For more recent works, Crazy88's Once More With Feeling, Charles Bhepin Shinji and Warhammer 40K only because its RIDICULOUS, anything done by Eric Blair, who posts here, the sporadically updated .hack/Eva: Catharsis, Jimmy Wolk's the 2nd Try...I'll think of more.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:50 am

universalperson wrote:Despite Mr. Tines allergic reaction, ... obviously written during a period when the Angels were thought to be...Angelic.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, the amount of fixation on the label, and not on the evidence from the rest of the series about what was really going on. For an anime produced by a bunch of SF fans, there seem to be surprisingly few SF fans in the audience, leading to too many of the "classic" fics starting from a position of completely missing the point of the series, in broad or in fine.

And that's why my selection of recommendations is somewhat idiosyncratic.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:48 pm

Thanks folks. Even there there should be enough to pass a few weekends. I tried to read NXE a while back, but just couldn't settle into it. I suppose it's like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it.

At least there's still some good stuff out there....

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:51 pm

Hellstorm Evangelion.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Dartz wrote:should be enough to pass a few weekends.

So, how did the first weekend go?

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:59 am

Too busy watching Firefly DvD's I just bought....

Oh well... next weekend perhaps

Return to “Fanfiction”