Help... Rebuild of Evafics.org

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Help... Rebuild of Evafics.org

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:51 pm

Hey all!

Sorry to butt in here, but this is Kinda important. Well, it is too me. I'm sure a good few of ye know about Evafics.org, right. It's a fanfic site, started about 2002 or so, because people got tired sifting through FFN..

They implimented a quality-controlled archive... which I help run. There's a lot of good solid EVA-fiction in there, and it's well worth getting stuckin to read.

Well recently it's gone into a bit of a decline... much like that whole end of the fandom. Anyway, the axe of cybernetic oblivion is hanging over it's head, unless we can get together and save it somehow.

so, we're looking around, and asking how we can fix and improve the site...what we can do to build up a good healthy and vibrant userbase.

There are good people there, but there never seems to be a desire to post anything. People go there and look for topics to be posted...but nothing is. So nobody posts a reply.

Anyway, we'd appreciate any input ye'd have over there.

And sure, if you come to post, why not stay? You're more than welcome

-: http://www.evafics.org
-: http://forums.evafics.org/
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Any AFF's?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:23 pm

While EFO is a more quality oriented site, they do host Lemons there Sachi, I would recommend you go over there and check out that and the sister DarckScribes site I tend to uh... frolick a bit there
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:37 am

Lol, I was j/k.

But yeah, if it saves the site, I check it out. Nothing like a good Evafic to start off your morning.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help... Rewuild of Evafics.org

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:32 pm

Dartz wrote:what we can do to build up a good healthy and vibrant userbase.

I think it may simply have come down to luck as to who joined which online group when that has kept the ANF -> EvaMonkey -> EvaGeeks community going. Even back in '04 when I joined, there was a noticeable difference in activity levels between the group here and other places, and I think we have been lucky that we continue to have the obsessives who participate to this day.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:36 pm

if it helps, we are not "Red pill" oriented there Tines, and DS is supposedly branching out, if you want to I'd like it if you took a look around, I may have been formed in FF.net, but I made most of my growing as a writer at DS
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Eric Blair wrote:if it helps, we are not "Red pill" oriented there Tines

I assume you mean EFO, though the same handles do appear at Darkscribes.

That's not so much the issue (though I recall having the impression that A/S seemed to be the orthodoxy in the fics), as it coming over as being rather, shall we say, Bosnian in attitude (as evinced by the Dark bit) -- and definitely not being anywhere near as welcoming as the local crowd.

The one time I did try submitting a fic, it got bounced on rather thin reasons that seemed to be circling around, rather than speaking, the fact that it did not fit house style.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:49 pm

The one time I did try submitting a fic, it got bounced on rather thin reasons that seemed to be circling around, rather than speaking, the fact that it did not fit house style.

EFO does have an in-house QC team, but DS accepts pretty much anything. The submitting guidelines on EFO should eventually be reviewed to ensure a more explicit term of agreement and avoid subjectivity when "Qc'ing" a fic, IMO, but that will be brought to their attention eventually

The invitation is open to any and all, Enki has already submitted some of his stories at EFO, the QC shall handle them, however DS is geared towards being something of a more "civilized" lot than FF.net, Ficwad, FFF, or MM.org as it is

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:17 pm

Honestly, DS will take anything as long as it shows some semblance of having effort put into it. There is no norm, and no one to tell you what they think you should write or why. We don't define quality by some vague rules nobody understand. If you are passionate about what you write and, if you like it and just want to share it, DS will take it. I can pretty much guarantee that.

Oh yeah, and trust me, nobody has a bigger ax to grind with the EFO QC as me.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:13 am

House style?

I never even thought about things like that over there...I've only done the couple, and only bounced the one...

EFO was born out of the fanfiction side of things, and a lot of people who write fanfiction tend to leave at some stage...which means a lot of people leave EFO.

We could rebrand the lot into a more fansite orientated, with a fanfiction archive, rather than a fanfic archive with a fanfic site.

The problem is, we still need fans...

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:24 am

That's because you're new, and the only other experience you have was a mockery of QC'ing called EvSoc.

You don't need fans to save a site, you need to create a fanbase, grassroots, word of mouth, and then make it a civil site; rules and regulations, transparency and accountability. This makes the fans have a better feel of the site, and allows for them to stay there for extended periods of time, having in depth discussions, and "moding" correctly also helps

A site ran by a cadre of individuals who judge and cast votes in secret, give the rundown before doing their job, fail to grasp concepts because they only read a story and stop when the story gets tough and don't analyze it or who go back on their votes or forget about "stuff" gives the impression there is no integrity, objectivity or seriousness, and that is not something I would call fan oriented or user friendly IMO.

LD
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LD » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Eric Blair wrote:if it helps, we are not "Red pill" oriented there Tines

I assume you mean EFO, though the same handles do appear at Darkscribes.

That's not so much the issue (though I recall having the impression that A/S seemed to be the orthodoxy in the fics), as it coming over as being rather, shall we say, Bosnian in attitude (as evinced by the Dark bit) -- and definitely not being anywhere near as welcoming as the local crowd.

Ok, Concidering I retook control of EFO only in November know that anything like that is being relooked at.

And what do you mean Bosnian? I just went with that cause I'm a dark person when I started DS back in 01.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:38 pm

I got denied for not having a disclaimer on a fic sorry man I'll stick to DS it self where i'm generally left to my own devices
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

LD
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LD » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:16 pm

DatDude wrote:I got denied for not having a disclaimer on a fic sorry man I'll stick to DS it self where i'm generally left to my own devices

That's sort of a need concidering...

I don't want to be sued cause your ass forgot to put I don't own eva on your fic somewhere.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:14 pm

LD wrote:
DatDude wrote:I got denied for not having a disclaimer on a fic sorry man I'll stick to DS it self where i'm generally left to my own devices

I don't want to be sued cause your ass forgot to put I don't own eva on your fic somewhere.

When has that happened ever? ^_^
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:21 pm

[fanboy] DARTZ! LD! Love your fics!

[/fanboy]
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

LD
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LD » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:57 pm

DatDude wrote:
LD wrote:

When has that happened ever? ^_^

I ain't taken the chance of being the guy who they test it out on.

Universal, thanks. The Dark side calls to you.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:22 am

LD wrote:Ok, Considering I retook control of EFO only in November know that anything like that is being relooked at.

This was back in 2H04, and the submission was via an link to my Asuka fic.
The rejection comments were to the effect of

1) You have a typo in one instance of one character name (long since fixed, along with a couple dozen other minor infelicities of typography)
2) Use of proper typography has caused us confusion
3) That's not how we'd write a crossover (hence the "House style" comment)

LD wrote:And what do you mean Bosnian?

A notorious historical 4chan word-filter (along with "duck" and "weeaboo").

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Seriously, though, rejecting a fic because it lacks a disclaimer is retarded.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:51 pm

That's not our fucking fault. We are not Joedobell. We are not VerbalKint. Jesus Christ. Rejections feels like shit... I know. I've been rejected too aswell for reasons that seemed a bit wishy washy.

Evsoc sucked. We thought we knew what we were talking about. We didn't. It blew up in our faces. But frankly, what makes you think you know better about reviewing than us?

We learn by doing... nothing more. Nothing less.

Return to “Fanfiction”