[LAEM] The "Power Rangers" Syndrome

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

The "Power Rangers" Syndrome

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:55 pm

Most people know what Power Rangers is, and very well may have been into it when they were kids.

I remember when Power Rangers debuted back in 93, and I only had some vague understanding that the show was partially Japanese. I think at first I thought it was made for both America and Japan simulataneously.

However, now 10 years later, I'm dowloading the season over bittorrent, and having a trip back to my childhood. And I realized something, Power Rangers, I much as I love it, is a horrible bastardization of Zyuuranger, the show it was originally adapted from. I undoubtadely doesn't hold a candle to Zyuuranger, but its still enjoyable.

So I was thinking, Evangelion Live Action, presuming it gets made, will more than likely suffer from the Power Rangers Syndrome. However, who's to say that it still can't be an enjoyable film? It may be corny as all hell, but with the right mindset, it could potentially be very enjoyable.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:31 pm

You may be right in some way, but an important difference to note is that the people who brought "Power Rangers" to young Aaron way back when did not go around America telling people, "This IS 'Zyuuranger'."

Come to think of it, I don't think the connection really applies. The scale is different, the substance is different, the pretense is different, and the stakes are different. It may have been a bastardization of a superior show, but it never claimed to be anything else; it was all in good fun. Since before you posted, I had never even heard of Zyuuranger, there was no reason to think poorly of that original series.

If your connection applies, than the only way it'll work for me is if the movie isn't called "Evangelion".

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:00 pm

http://www.rovang.org/sentai/

Just for kicks, you can read a breakdown between MMPR Season 1 and Zyuuranger.

It is true that the Super Sentai Series (and adaptations aka Power Rangers) are a really different deal from Evangelion. Subject matter is different, age level is different, etc. However, I still think its safe to assume that people (normal people) will miss the fact that Evangelion LA is based on an anime. Just as very few people are aware that "Shall We Dance?" with Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez is an Americanization of the Japanese film of the same name. And also, few people are aware that The Ring was originally Ringu, and The Grudge was originally Ju-on. Sure, anime fans will get it, but most people won't, just how most kids (and even some adult Japanese pop culture geeks) don't understand the difference.

The question is, why do they enjoy this inferior Americanization?

Because they aren't precoccupied by the preceding work.

I think that's what I'm getting at. I think perhaps people should try and appreciate it without the original in mind. Even if its ANOTHER Evangelion, we'll probably still be dissapointed, because we've seen it already.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:45 pm

Interesting concept, there.

I still think its safe to assume that people (normal people) will miss the fact that Evangelion LA is based on an anime. Just as very few people are aware that "Shall We Dance?" with Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez is an Americanization of the Japanese film of the same name. And also, few people are aware that The Ring was originally Ringu, and The Grudge was originally Ju-on.

Maybe being a Los Angeles citizen has left me naive to all the great Americanisms we seem to have in this country, but I've yet to meet a person who isn't aware of the origins of "The Ring" or "The Grudge". "Shall We Dance?" was touted in every major American publication as being "based on the Japanese box-office smash," and likewise was measured by every critic on the scale presented by its predecessor. It fared well, but most every review I read (I am a review junkie) made the argument that the Japanese original was more plausible because of cultural differences. Everyone said that. Granted, no one bashed the movie, but the distinction was made, and I think only the illiterate (or those who don't care about the movies they see, foreign-based or homegrown) were left ignorant of the original movie.

I guarantee you that Americanized or Not, "Evangelion" will be talked about by every media outlet in America as being "based on the wildly poular Japanese anime". Even Ma and Pa Freedom of rural Oklahoma won't be spared a detail like that. That is the MAJOR selling point of this movie, even to people who don't know what anime is, and sharing the same name as it probably will will only ensure that this point is driven home long before Premier Night. What else does it have? Action? Is that really as big as it used to be?

"'National Treasure' had action. It sucked, but it did amazingly well."

"Yeah, but it also had Nick Cage. And it is Thanksgiving."

The question is, why do they enjoy this inferior Americanization?

I think you've misread the reaction to it. It's not that they prefer it; it's simply that they are in no place to reject it. If "Ringu" had been treated to the same promotional zest as, say, "Hero" (oh, oh, I'm sorry; "Quentin Tarentino PRESENTS 'Hero'"), there would probably have been no requests from anyone to make a version starring Blondie What's-her-face (I don't mean that out of disrespect, I just can't remember her name).

You must remember to separate, "we'll watch it" from "we want it". People are just happy to be entertained, no matter how much substance is dropped or blondes cast or cars blown up. You take what you can get because you can.

Because they aren't precoccupied by the preceding work.

...Because they don't have to be. Also, it depends on what work you're talking about. The "Power Rangers" example works nicely because from what I've read, the two are almost completely different ballgames. However, something like "Ringu/The Ring" is a little trickier to gauge because the latter copied the former almost shot-for-shot for about two-thirds of the film (and I'll be honest, was probably better in the last Third).

The question then becomes, "What does a certain reception of the New grant the Old?" Say the Eva movie sucks, and is disliked not only by fans, but by moviegoers as well (Godzilla [1998]). Won't people want to know how something that got itself made into a ginormous remake could birth something so terrible? If Eva is forever written of in America as "a good sci-fi time at theaters" the amazing gap between it and its predecessor will not be a secret to anyone anywere for very long. That's not how we work, and that not how communities, large or small, work.

As far as Americanization goes, the only thing I'm worried about is the abortion of potentially potent Asian characters in American (and international) pop culture in favor of easy-to-swallow white-washed versions of themselves. It seems unjust to me, nay, IS unjust, but I won't go into that here. As far as quality of film goes, however, the present state of movies seems to be dictating that if you fall off the bike with a movie, someone will just make another one to help people forget about the old.

I'm more afraid of it succeeding than failing. And if it does succeed as a different animal, time will bring the truth to light, and Hollywood will only be driven to reremake it.

_get some help

Prons
Embryo

Postby Prons » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:24 am

Eva monkey needs to watch Kamen Rider if he likes Power Rangers. And even not, Kamen Rider is the bomb.

The thing about the Live action eva movie, is that I think too many people shot it down without giving it a chance, no one knows what WETA has in mind, and fans just like to assume the worst, or so it seems.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:13 am

Hexon.Arq wrote:You must remember to separate, "we'll watch it" from "we want it". People are just happy to be entertained, no matter how much substance is dropped or blondes cast or cars blown up. You take what you can get because you can.

Or you can be like me and just ignore all of the offal Hollywood vomits up. (As a general rule, anyway.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:17 am

Monkey I can tell you not a D&D player. If you were you'd know just how bad a movie about something you like can be.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:12 pm

Or you can be like me and just ignore all of the offal Hollywood vomits up. (As a general rule, anyway.)

Well, you shouldn't ignore all of it. Besides, how can you know light without darkness? :lol:

_get some help

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Soluzar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:18 pm

DatDude wrote:Monkey I can tell you not a D&D player. If you were you'd know just how bad a movie about something you like can be.

Dude... so true.

A real movie about D&D would be set in somebody's mom's basement, anyway, and the key dramatic moment would be when they ran out of soda and had to make the long arduous trek to the convenience store. Or if one of the players picked up someone else's dice. :lol:

Hexon.Arq wrote:Maybe being a Los Angeles citizen has left me naive to all the great Americanisms we seem to have in this country, but I've yet to meet a person who isn't aware of the origins of "The Ring" or "The Grudge". "Shall We Dance?" was touted in every major American publication as being "based on the Japanese box-office smash," and likewise was measured by every critic on the scale presented by its predecessor. It fared well, but most every review I read (I am a review junkie) made the argument that the Japanese original was more plausible because of cultural differences. Everyone said that. Granted, no one bashed the movie, but the distinction was made, and I think only the illiterate (or those who don't care about the movies they see, foreign-based or homegrown) were left ignorant of the original movie.

Judging by what you just said, I'd have to say that L.A. must be on another planet. Seriously. If I asked everyone I ever met, I'm sure at least 10 a day would be unaware of the Japanese incarnation of "Ring" and "Ju-on", and entirely unaware that "Shall We Dance?" is a remake, and quite equally unaware that "Vanilla Sky" is not the original name of the story which is presented in the movie of that name.
Natsukashii, ne?

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:29 pm

Judging by what you just said, I'd have to say that L.A. must be on another planet. Seriously. If I asked everyone I ever met, I'm sure at least 10 a day would be unaware of the Japanese incarnation of "Ring" and "Ju-on", and entirely unaware that "Shall We Dance?" is a remake, and quite equally unaware that "Vanilla Sky" is not the original name of the story which is presented in the movie of that name.

They must not really be interested in movies, then. Most people where I live are. When you are, these things become common knowledge. This is the Drug--er, Entertainment Capital of the World.

_get some help

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:44 pm

DatDude wrote:Monkey I can tell you not a D&D player. If you were you'd know just how bad a movie about something you like can be.

Worst Movie Ever.

Oroboro
Adam

Postby Oroboro » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:41 pm

Oh god, don't remind of that! I wanted to slaughter everyone at Wizards for allowing D&D to be tagged on that movie.

This should have been the D&D movie: http://gamers.deadgentlemen.com/

Anyway, moving on...

The fact of the matter is, people will pay to see a movie. No matter how bad it is they will go. Substance and style are being replaced with shit. It's as if the American movie industry's standards suddenly dropped.
a Dream that never ends
a Love that never dies
like living on the other side of the sky
When everything’s an illusion
Life is neither borrowed nor bought it’s just something that you’re using
Nothing is my freedom
yet,
Nothing my cage
Man! it’s great just to be living
in the paradox age.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:14 pm

The fact of the matter is, people will pay to see a movie. No matter how bad it is they will go.

Unless it's Gigli.

_get some help

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:46 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:

Worst Movie Ever.

They are making part two, and I want to vomit on them for it.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Soluzar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:22 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:They must not really be interested in movies, then. Most people where I live are. When you are, these things become common knowledge. This is the Drug--er, Entertainment Capital of the World.

No offence was intended to LA, place or people, by the way. Many of those people are interested in movies, but only in mindlessly consuming blockbuster after blockbuster from that place... you know, the one near you? With the hills?

The friends I've got who actually buy movies, and know stuff about movies, and are interested in movies as an art form naturally know about the original sources for those projects, but they are outnumbered by the masses who prefer to just be fed films like "Meet the Fockers", and to watch movies like "Ring" or "The Grudge" without finding out the background behind them. The sort of people who object to the original Ring, if you offer to show it to them because they "don't want to read a movie".

EDIT: I live in a cultural wasteland. Sometimes I wonder if it's possible to die of that. Sometimes, I think I might.
Natsukashii, ne?

Oroboro
Adam

Postby Oroboro » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:29 pm

DatDude wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:

Worst Movie Ever.

They are making part two, and I want to vomit on them for it.

I heard it was an Eberron movie. So, yes, I am holding my breath for it because Eberron is amazing!
a Dream that never ends
a Love that never dies
like living on the other side of the sky
When everything’s an illusion
Life is neither borrowed nor bought it’s just something that you’re using
Nothing is my freedom
yet,
Nothing my cage
Man! it’s great just to be living
in the paradox age.

Hand of God
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Hand of God » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:04 pm

if the live action one is bad it one be as bad as halo or silent hill

WHY HOLYWOOD WHY?!?!
the world is just a sick and twisted place

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Soluzar » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:06 am

Hand of God wrote:if the live action one is bad it one be as bad as halo or silent hill

WHY HOLYWOOD WHY?!?!

The movie of Halo isn't out yet, is it? It might still be good, so dry those eyes... :lol:

...for now! :twisted:
Natsukashii, ne?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:13 am

Can you imagine the wonderful things that could be accomplished with all of the money that gets spent on crappy movies?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby sadsadshinji » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:25 am

a complete eva remake
that or a real eva (oooo...)
well...maybe not a real eva, but perhaps the beginnings of one?
and usually (it seems) movies based on games dont meet amazing success (resident evil, tomb raider, etc)
then again, Halo does have a decent storyline, so i suppose its possible
there would be shameless use of CG however...

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”