Rei and the Moon page

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:24 am

Zuggy wrote:Thanks for those links Tines - why does everything have to be so complicated...

Two words ... "Internet Explorer"

The majority browser has historically taken a path of its own.

It's not helped when browsers track and imitate each other's bugs (see e.g. http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2008/04/something_odd_h.html)

Good starting points are places like

QuirksMode -- http://www.quirksmode.org/blogs.shtml
A List Apart -- http://www.alistapart.com/

You have to wind back about 5 years to the point where the big breakthroughs in the state of the art were being made for a good place to step on the escalator (I was lucky to be there at the time). Follow the onward links, too.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Etoh Mei (b. 9-May-2018)

thewayneiac
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:08 am

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I can update the template to support more images of column widths if anyone needs it. Let me know if there are any other (feasible) features you would like to see implemented.

Would it be feasible to allow the user to specify the background color of the headder:

"Color = "

instead of having it always default to tan?

Edit: we may indeed nead a larger version. Hayate no Gotouku on the tributes page is up to 15 images.

EDIT: OMF - I pressed edit instead of quote, and almost lost this post in digital obllivion. Apologies to all concerned, especially thewayniac.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:08 am

Moving on from my debaucle with the edit button....

The template has been edited to allow a maximium of 30 images and in addition a 5 column format. If anything larger is required, I'd recommend creating a new template rather than making the current one any larger.

The template has also been edited to allow the colour of the header to be specified. Just as a warning though, it might not be a good idea to have different colours on every Montage. We might be better off with picking a standard colour. If tan is not to everyones liking that is?

I've provided some new examples on the page, but I haven't had much of a chance to test the changes to the template, so let me know if anything goes awry.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:46 am

*is reading this* wow lots of technical stuff...o.o
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:42 am

Tan works good as a default color. The idea is not to have every montage a different color, but have the option of adding an aesthetic touch to complement the images.

Except for odd cases like Hayate, we won't be dealing with so many images lumped together, so our present template should fit forseeable demands.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

thewayneiac
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:10 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:I've provided some new examples on the page, but I haven't had much of a chance to test the changes to the template, so let me know if anything goes awry.

I've found one bug: it doesn't work right at 4 collumns. Nothing displays but the caption. 2, 3 and 5 all work.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:13 pm

thewayneiac wrote:I've found one bug: it doesn't work right at 4 collumns. Nothing displays but the caption. 2, 3 and 5 all work.
I didn't provide a 4 column format because the lowest common multiple of 2,3,4 and 5 would be 60 images, and so the maximum number of images would not fit neatly in all formats. Maybe I'm being more lazy than pedantic. If anyone needs a four column format, I can add it in.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:36 pm

I've already added it in four columns. I hope you don't mind.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:20 am

I'm trying to implement this on the Rei and the Moon page but when using columns = 3 it doesn't display any of the images in the first column (on the far left), instead it only displays the properties you've given to that image. When I said [[Image:Reimoon2.jpg|150px]] it only displays the text "150px" and no image.

There is probably some typo in the first column of the template or something.

Also, I have tried float = middle and float = center/centre but the template always floats on the left.

I'm using Firefox.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:15 pm

Could you give an example of this misbehavior? On the template discussion page perhaps?

As to floating behaviour, at the moment, only "left", "right" and "none" are valid options. If people want alignment behavior it can be added in.

thewayneiac
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:59 pm

Collumns = 3 works correctly in Explorer on the Rei and the Moon page.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:44 pm

It looks ok in Firefox too, whatever I did previously must have been wrong but I don't know what, seeing as what you put in there looks identical to what I tried to do earlier. :???:

Looking at the page now it's the same as it was before. Looks like we are back to square 1.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:41 pm

The template has been amended. Specifying float=none now adds an align="center" attribute to the montagebox table. I've implemented this on the Rei and the Moon page as a test.

thewayneiac
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:21 pm

Zuggy wrote:Looking at the page now it's the same as it was before. Looks like we are back to square 1.

Nah, square 1 would be the two examples from your first post. we've made great strides since then.

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The template has been amended. Specifying float=none now adds an align="center" attribute to the montagebox table. I've implemented this on the Rei and the Moon page as a test.

It looks great at 3 collumns at least.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu May 22, 2008 11:27 am

I hate to be so critical after all the work you guys have put into the image templates, but I think the current system, which lumps images into one cluster and their captions into another, isn't the most intuitive one. Couldn't we have a system similar to what Encyclopedia Dramatica is using? For example, take a look at the gallery on the bottom of the page THAT WIKI/Tom_Cruise . It is so much more easier to skim through.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu May 22, 2008 1:09 pm

I agree Dr. Nick that I also never supported using the templates for images that way.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri May 23, 2008 5:16 am

Dr. Nick wrote:Couldn't we have a system similar to what Encyclopedia Dramatica is using?

Implemented something similar to that a while ago if you go through the page's history, but it was reverted by thewayneiac because he didn't like it.

thewayneiac
Committeeman
Committeeman

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri May 23, 2008 6:52 pm

Zuggy wrote:
Dr. Nick wrote:Couldn't we have a system similar to what Encyclopedia Dramatica is using?

Implemented something similar to that a while ago if you go through the page's history, but it was reverted by thewayneiac because he didn't like it.

What I didn't like about yours was that it didn't have any captions. The images were thus too remote from the text that described them. You had to keep scrolling back to the article to figure out which picture was which. The current system was an improvement because it included descriptive captions in the image template. I would certain have no objection to altering the MontageBox to put the captions directly under the images, instead of in their own section. This would make it similar to Dr. Nick's example.

Edit:

Ok, take a look at the page and tell me what you think. I didn't have to mess with the template. I just designated the images as thumbs and added the captions, ignoring the caption section. This leaves the caption section available for occasions when it is appropriate. For instance, the "wakey" gallery only needed a single caption to describe all 6 images.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri May 23, 2008 11:02 pm

it looks pretty good for me, firefox 2.0.0.14 linux.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 24, 2008 2:47 am

The layout looks sane with Internet Exploder 7
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Etoh Mei (b. 9-May-2018)

Return to “The Editorium”