Plugsuits and LCL Mechanics

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
advent_child
Lilith

Plugsuits and LCL Mechanics

•      
  •      

Postby advent_child » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:04 am

what is the exact role of plugsuits?do they help to sychronise better or something else?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:26 am

Why is this is chit-chat...?

Can't give you the answer you seek, but the plugsuit seems to at least serve some life-support functions. In #06, it stimulates Shinji's heart after he is parboiled in the LCL, and in #16, we learn that it apparently can produce heat as required. (Shinji says that the suit is giving out, and he promptly curls up and remarks about how cold he is.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:03 am

Personally, I would think that loose clothing would be quite annoying in a liquid environment.

Karma Burn
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Karma Burn » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:39 am

Along with the pratical uses of a plug suit, I think they help with the synchoronization circut. They probably also have a life support system as well.
"Everyone but me has gone fucking nuts. I'm the eye of the goddam storm." - Tycho, Penny Arcade (Or a very irrate Fuyutsuki)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:39 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Personally, I would think that loose clothing would be quite annoying in a liquid environment.

But it's not liquid most of the time. :P
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:05 pm

Reichu wrote:But it's not liquid most of the time. :P

That theory is utterly preposterous, and clearly the product of being starved from any new revelations occuring after someone's hours spent having analyzed the same 26-episode television series, looking for a breakthrough. :P
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:12 pm

I thought it played some role in synching. In episode 13 (when the pilots go naked):
Children wrote:Something is different. // Yes. Something is different from the other times. // Something's wrong with my senses. Only the right arm is clear, and the rest is dim.

Perhaps it does? Or am I misinterpreting a bad translation?

By the way, Reichu, I thought they were in liquid all the time. :?
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:20 pm

Phaze wrote:That theory is utterly preposterous, and clearly the product of being starved from any new revelations occuring after someone's hours spent having analyzed the same 26-episode television series, looking for a breakthrough. :P

Actually, "that theory" was a product of the theatrical programs.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:52 am

i was aware that the suit housed various life support devices, and provided heat as well as aiding the syncronization between pilot and eva, just like the head bands...

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I tend to think that with Eva's "modern-but-feasable" tone, a suit designed to aid in synchonization would be more elaborate than a throwaway latex wetsuit.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Lethal GD Weapon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lethal GD Weapon » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:42 am

The suit probably provides minimal interference while synchronizing, while also providing a means of monitering the pilot's heartrate, bloodpreassure, ect... It also seems to have a built in defibrilator (as seen just after Shinji gets blasted by Ramiel). That, and they just look spiffy.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:53 am

Reichu wrote:Actually, "that theory" was a product of the theatrical programs.

[L.C.L]
When the Eva pilots are inside the Eva, they are protected by an amniotic fluid called L.C.L. Before being electrically charged, L.C.L. is a yellow, viscous fluid that smells like blood. L.C.L. performs a number of functions such as linking the pilot and the Eva, supplying oxygen directly to the lungs, and protecting the pilot from both mental attacks and physical shocks.

[L.C.L]
The liquid that fills the inside of the entry plug after the pilot is on-board. It is viscous in nature and smells like blood. After the pilot is on-board, this L.C.L is electrically charged to alter its molecular arrangement. This lets the L.C.L perform a number of functions such as mentally linking the pilot and the Eva and supplying oxygen directly to the lungs. In addition, the L.C.L also works to protect the pilot from mental attacks and physical shocks, giving it an image of amniotic fluid. The liquid that fills the lowest level of Terminal Dogma is this same L.C.L. It is unknown whether it has its own electrical charge. Incidentally, the widely circulated idea that L.C.L is the abbreviation of "Link Connected Liquid" is incorrect.

[L.C.L]
The liquid that fills the inside of the entry plug. Viscous in nature and having a blood-like odor, when charged by electricity its molecular arrangement is altered, allowing L.C.L to perform a number of functions such as mentally linking the pilot and the Eva, supplying oxygen, and providing both physical and mental protection to the pilot. This same L.C.L also fills the lowest level of Terminal Dogma where Lilith is kept. Various interpretations have been circulated such as that "L.C.L" is the abbreviation of "Link Connected Liquid", but what it appears to be is the actual "soup of life".

Where?
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:03 pm

They refer to a "change in molecular arrangement". It doesn't actually say anything about a phase change in the LCL, only what can be achieved after the LCL is electrified -- although, unless I'm mistaken, a change in molecular arrangement IS what happens when a liquid becomes a gas, or vice versa. BTW, did you ever read the thread where the phase-changing properties of LCL were originally proposed?

How necessary is the plugsuit for synchronization, really? In #19, anyway, Shinji seemed to get by fine in his school uniform... (Episode #02, well, that's another story, but I doubt a plugsuit would have helped him much then.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:42 pm

I guess Aaron's right--the plugsuit's only function other than life support is to prevent the pilot from chocking on their own sleeve in a chaotic situation.

They refer to a "change in molecular arrangement". It doesn't actually say anything about a phase change in the LCL, only what can be achieved after the LCL is electrified -- although, unless I'm mistaken, a change in molecular arrangement IS what happens when a liquid becomes a gas, or vice versa. BTW, did you ever read the thread where the phase-changing properties of LCL were originally proposed?

How can a gas maintain its function as an amniotic fluid? That would have to be pretty fucking dense, and I don't think one could breathe in such a high concentration, or even maintain their skeletal integrity, for that matter.

_get some help

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:59 pm

Well we all know that the real purpose of the plugsuits is to make geeks horny, thus increasing DVD sales.

Just ignore me... :lol:

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:39 pm

No, that's Misato's job. You need a WOMAN.

_get some help

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:51 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:How can a gas maintain its function as an amniotic fluid? That would have to be pretty fucking dense, and I don't think one could breathe in such a high concentration, or even maintain their skeletal integrity, for that matter.

Well, the original idea went, the LCL regains its cushioning properties "as needed". Seriously, read the original thread:

http://animenation.net/forums/showthrea ... oral+logic

And since that was locked (probably because of RahOtaku being obnoxious; I honestly can't remember), post any "omg this theory is bullcrap" arguments here, just to keep the Monkey happy:

http://animenation.net/forums/showthrea ... oral+logic
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:41 am

a change in the molecular structure would refer to a change in the formula, or a change (if it is an extensive molecule) of the arrangement of groups (cis and trans for certain hydrocarbons)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:32 am

sadsadshinji wrote:a change in the molecular structure would refer to a change in the formula, or a change (if it is an extensive molecule) of the arrangement of groups (cis and trans for certain hydrocarbons)

Not necessarily. I suspect that most people have examples of such a change in molecular structure in response to electrical fields very close to hand - it's how LCD displays work : applying an electric potential changes how that material transmits polarized light.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:14 pm

See, Reichu, this is what I was talking about you-know-when-and-where.

_get some help

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”