[Fic] Monad (a fic of duality)

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

[Fic] Monad (a fic of duality)

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:07 pm

I've been playing around with an idea for a week or two, ever since I finished a paper on VALIS by PKD. It's based on the extreme dissimilarity between manga-shinji and series-shinji, and made me consider what might happen if the two occupied the universe of the series together, without series-shinji knowing initially. I was also planning on putting a bunch of zoroaster refs in, and playing off my own conception of a monad as a duality of personal demiurges.

For those who haven't the slightest idea about Zoroasteriansim, it's the first monotheistic religion (Judaism isn't technically monotheistic, but that's for a different thread). The way they got around the problem of evil is similar to the conception of Shiva/Vishnu, I think. Zoroaster is a single being with two personalities: an all-good, completely constructive one, and (shades of Exel Saga here) a destructive "shadow".

Are any of you interested in seeing how that might pan out?
Last edited by Enki v.2 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Yes. Very. Do it. Also, make them doppelgangers, so one has to kill the other at the end.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:14 pm

Hehe... I was playing off the idea that if they realize that they are two parts of the same person, they merge together, realize they are God, and instrumentality occurs.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:46 pm

^
That Idea I like. ^_^

I'd also be interested in seeing if this Shinji would accept or reject it then. (Him accepting it would certainly be a twist, albeit a sucky one.)

Go for it, I'd love to read something like that. :thumbsup:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Well, cool. I guess that is a resounding "yes", then? (or, as resounding as perhaps it could be...)

I should start it soon, though my time is limited by a combination of inconvenient schedules, poor time management, and intermittent attention/drive/interest. The fact that my 12-chapter "good fic" was put on hold to make way for 3 or 4 chapters of an AU wherein NERV is a discordian organization and Gendou is a dirty hippie, which was then put on hold for one chapter of an AU wherein Shinji is a cyborg modified by Ikari Heavy Industries to go through the twisty little passages (all alike) of The Machine to find the long lost Network Terminal Gene 'Evangelion', should give you some idea of my attention span :P. Also, the aborted lemon scene in chapter 4 of the discordian one should give a good idea of my attention span while reading lime :P.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:12 pm

Seriously, this is the kind of fanfiction I read. Write it!

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:37 pm

Anyone mind if I pull a BobBQ and post the fic in segments here before compiling it for a greater audience elsewhere? It's the closest thing I'll probably ever get to a group of prereaders :shinji_boohoo:

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby majlund » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:42 pm

Segmentation is the prevalent method of posting fics here so go ahead.
The audience is allways hungry for more :popcorn:
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:49 pm

:kensuke_drool: :rei_hissyfit: :rei_dance: :ritsuko_mug: :harpy_liplick: :asuka_thumbsup: Hey, look! Even the harpy is happy! *g*

I will probably post a first chapter later today, once I figure out how the hell to START it. :rei_meh:

[Edit: that emot was NOT what it was supposed to be, however, there is no emoticon to express the listlessness I feel.]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:36 pm

Did somebody say Harem?

....uh never mind. :sweatdrop:

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:07 pm

SSD, you already get enough of harem just staying around this forum...

Enki, try using a sync test gone bad that splits Shinji into two personalities, and go from there.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:40 pm

Or... ooh! I have an idea! *quickly looks up Eva timeline again to check whether or not this will workxor*

Hint: 400% is double 200%, and 100% is over 2250.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:16 pm

Okay, I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but here goes the first chapter.

MONAD
Chapter 01

"Major, we will start the procedure on your mark."

Nodding, a barely noticable tear forming in the corner of her eye, she gave permission. "Proceed."

"Procedure starting in 3..." The crew looked as though they were clockwork mannequins with overtensed springs, ready to snap.

"2..." Misato absently gripped her pendant, hard enough that it might have broken had she had been holding it in a different way.

"1..." Ritsuko looked like she was about to snap her stylus and bite through her unlighted cigarette.

"Borderline clear! Ego is contained and holding." Everyone relaxed slightly, except for the commander, whose job arguably consisted mostly of being emotionally consistent.

"We-- we did it?"

"The procedure isn't finished, but we passed the borderline with the ego contained, so thing are..." Ritsuko glanced at an artifact on the display. "Wait..." She punched a quick console command to investigate. "This... could be bad."

"What?"

"We can succeed with the salvange operation, but... what happenes afterwards might be a little complicated."

"What happened? Ritsu, tell me... What happened to Shinji-kun?"

-

Unfamiliar cieling... Shinji had not been in this particular wing before, and it was decorated quite differently from the nural ward and the ICU. Particulary, the tubes above him caught his attention. What kind of equipment am I hooked up to, to require tubes that big?

"Shinji!" He turned to the side, still feeling weak, to see Misato standing beside his bed. "Are you okay?"

"I... I am fine. Just tired, is all."

"That's... I'm so glad. I'm glad you are okay. I... Shinji, I have to tell you something..." She looked at Shinji as though he were a ghost -- transparent, not real. Then her mobile rang.

She ignored it for 3 more rings, then picked it up. "Hai. Hai. Understood." She wiped a renegade tear from her eye.

"Misato... What's wrong... What did you have to tell me?"

She turned towards the door, rigidly, mechanically. In the most controlled tone she could muster, "sorry" was all she could say beofre walking in rigid step past the beakers and jars and out of the stained metal doorway. Shinji looked back up at the cieling. "Strange", he read.

-

"Hai, Misato-san. I understand." She stood staring at the boy -- this boy. "I wish to be ready when the next angel attacks." He is a fake, but he is useful. I need to do this. To defeat them.

-

Shinji had lost his sense of time. He was no longer strapped to the bed, nor was he attached to any food source, b ut he had no drive to move. He hadn't eaten, gotten up to go to the bathroom, spoken to or seen anyone, or really thought about anything for a very long time. He simply sat and stared, not blinking, at the unfamiliar cieling and the owrds scribbled upon it.

-

"Damnit, why is shin-man gettin' all the girls? He never e'en was in'trested in 'em before, and now he's flirtin' like a pro!"

"Speak for yourself, gimp-for-brains!"

"You demon-chick! Wha' are you implyin'?"

"Yeah... You know, that insult doesn't even make sense..." With that, Aida Kensuke had yet another perfectly good pair of glasses broken at the bridge. "No fair, soryu. Those were new~"

"Get a job and maybe you'll be able to afford to challenge Soryu-sama the great! Hahahaha!" While laughing in mock triumph, she saw Shinji across the room with the corner of her eye. "Hmph! He'll have to do better than that to get my lo--attention. I'm not one of those... attention... wores!" She did her tirumphant laugh again, but it seemed weaker this time, and was punctuated near the end by a few moments wherein she stopped entirely, staring meekly as Shinji gave her a friendly wave. There is something... different about him. Pushing this thought out of her head, she punched Kensuke.

"Hey, what was that for?!"

"You'll never get a job as an Eva pilot, so stop thinking about it."

Kensuke wiped the globule of drool from the side of his mouth and shot a poison glare at the firey demon.

-

"Shinji."

He half-turned. "Father."

"Do you know where you are?"

"No."

"Do you care?"

"No."

"What are you doing?"

He turned his head back to the cieling. "Dreaming." The text rippled.

And yes, kind of short. Since this is mostly small segments interlinked, I can beef it up later once I have more small segments. The absurd lack of detail in some bits is on purpose (you will see why later).

Edit: Oh yeah... This may end up being a rather depressing Shinji harem. Considering that one Shinji gets all the girls while the other is locked up in terminal dogma lying on a bed and staring at the cieling... Muahahaha!

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:01 pm

Very nice, I really hope you do go back and add more detail to it, its a really nice story.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:09 pm

*g* I'm glad you like it. I'm playing around with some new ideas for the next chapter, and I think I might have something solidified soon.

Oh, and once we get a bit further along, those who catch on to where I'm going (or who don't care for spoilers and just want me to tell them what's going on) can suggest things to put in, both in prior chapters and in coming chapters.

For the record, anyone who knows where this is going right now is (arguably) my new god. Even if the person is female, they are not my new goddess -- they are my new god. (Sorry. Rule #1 of the pentabarf still applies in fanfiction, you see. As for the hot dog bun thing, not so much).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu May 01, 2008 2:30 pm

Read chapter 1 and I liked it.

There were a few spelling/grammar errors and my only real nitpick was more detail would have been nice.

Over all though, I liked it. ;)

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Thu May 01, 2008 6:42 pm

Oh... Cool. I notice with a cursory glance that I left out caps in a couple places. Also, cieling is one of the words that I can *never* spell correctly (along with sattelite, nescessarily, and sesquipedalian). I don't know why, since I can spell Quand la ciel est rouge, je suis avec ma soeur dans ma mere et tout le monde est Tang just fine.

Return to “Fanfiction”