Musical Prodigies, Show Yourselves!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Peewit
Embryo

[Music] What instrments do you play/what are you learning?

•      
  •      

Postby Peewit » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:21 am

On guitar I'm learning this:

Vals Op. 8 No 4

It is not pretty... Don't think for a second I can play it like that.

On drums I'm learning La Villa Strangiato by Rush

Here it is

I've done about 3:14, ultimately the easiest part.

Piano is my kind of muck around instrument so I have lots of video game music/Evangelion music and other anime stuff that I've heard to learn on that. I've been trying to find a piano arrangement of Thanatos but all I can find is an arrangement for strings and piano so I've just been writing my own.
Last edited by Peewit on Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 am

I know how to play the piano and ukelele, though I've forgotten most of what I've learned on the piano, I am quite nasty at the ukelele.

I'll be playing with a couple of my friends who are in a Lady Gaga cover ensemble band at my school's Battle of the Bands in two weeks.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:34 am

View Original Postran1 wrote:I'll be playing with a couple of my friends who are in a Lady Gaga cover ensemble band at my school's Battle of the Bands in two weeks.

Over the top costumes and pics required.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:26 am

Well, this is a picture of Alani, my uke, and when the time comes, I'll put the concert pics in the pictures thread

SPOILER: Show

Isn't she pretty? :lol:

Admittedly, the quality of the pic sucks, but she's a handmade one imported from the Islands.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:36 am

I used to play trombone in a school marching band, but that was a few decades ago.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Peewit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Peewit » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:53 am

View Original Postran1 wrote:Well, this is a picture of Alani, my uke, and when the time comes, I'll put the concert pics in the pictures thread

You need to fit it out with some kind of over the top appendage, or take the route this guy took:

SPOILER: Show

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:10 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:a Lady Gaga cover ensemble band

Is it possible for a "cover band" to exist for a solo artist (i.e. someone who is not a member of a band)?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Wow, I've never posted in this thread; I must have been on one of my breaks.

I've been playing the drums for the last two years, and really having a lot of fun with it, specializing in rock, alternative, old school metal, and progressive. If I had just a little bit more money I could buy a few new accessories to add so that I may add a little more spice to my beats. I'm trying to get myself a cowbell, a tambourine, and a steel drum, and I will probably end up purchasing them in that order (since the cowbell and tambourine are cheaper). But for now, I'm content with the small little set I have.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:37 pm

I play guitar, but then again, these days who doesn't? Guitar is the new piano. And its associated with more popular types of music. I wish I would have picked violin or cello like Shinji. Ah well... it's so damn easy to get good...
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:40 pm

View Original Postplanet news wrote:I play guitar, but then again, these days who doesn't? Guitar is the new piano. And its associated with more popular types of music. I wish I would have picked violin or cello like Shinji. Ah well... it's so damn easy to get good...

You could always play classical guitar.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:40 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Is it possible for a "cover band" to exist for a solo artist (i.e. someone who is not a member of a band)?

Yes it is. I think.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:47 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:You could always play classical guitar.

Goddammit those are so beautiful.............new love for the instrument found.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:12 am

Prodigies? Uhm, not really. But i do play (used to play) multiple instruments:

Guitar: Nowadays i play the classical guitar, but back in my high school years, i also dabbled on the electric for a short period of time. Why, i used to play in a band! For almost two months! We were burning with youthful passion and an obsession with Iron Maiden. We were determined to be the best damned Maiden tribute band out there. Then we tried to play their music, and realized that we actually wanted to be the best AC/DC tribute band out there. Oh, to be young and to suck (since then, i gotten older)!

Zither: The first intrument i used to play as a kid. It's sorta like a pedal steel guitar, only it's not. Fun. Haven't played it for more then a decade now.

Harmonica: There is one liying around, but ever since we moved, i can't find the damn thing.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:57 pm

I can't do shit.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

[Music] Favorite Instruments/Can You Play Any Instruments

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat May 29, 2010 8:07 pm

What are some instruments you favor and would you like to learn how to or do you know how to play it/them?

I favor the piano and the violin and would like to learn how to play them one day.
========
I should point out that I did search for a thread in the OT thread list and found one titled "Do you play any instruments?", but the message "No posts exist for this topic" appears.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat May 29, 2010 8:16 pm

Because it got merged with this.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat May 29, 2010 9:50 pm

I write music and do sound design (synth and effects programming) and production.

I've been working since 2007 on my second album. Here's a recently-finished song from it, "Zwei." It's an atmospheric, melodic upbeat track with some modtracker influence. Probably would be called some sort of drum'n'bass, breaks, or jungle subgenre, but hell if I know.

Esselfortium - Zwei: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BScGkoKnInM&fmt=18

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun May 30, 2010 12:18 am

At the moment I am learning how to play the piano and studying music theory.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun May 30, 2010 12:21 am

I took one year of Band in High School, mostly because I needed one Music class to graduate and Chorus had mandatory bi-annual after school concerts. I got pretty decent with a baritone, although I was on tuba first until that asshole band instructor moved me. No, that's too harsh, he was a pretty cool guy. Yes, I suck in general, what of it?
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:43 am

Over the last couple of weeks I've been learning the Bouree from Bach's Violin Partita #1. There are 2 versions of it, the "double" was popularized by Segovia and is often called the "Segovia Version". This is recorded off of a laptop mic, there's some annoying noise in the background and outside, I think the dishwasher's going off in the first recording, I didn't think the mic would pick it up.

Bouree in Bm, Partita 1

Bouree in Bm, Segovia version

I'll try to record better versions of them (without the mistakes).

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”