Musical Prodigies, Show Yourselves!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:49 am

I play guitar, back in high school had a band...few of our own songs, but mostly covering Nirvana...and Green Day -_- since the drummer and the bass were both girls in love with Billy Joe, I had no choice but to give in. Singing "wake me up when september ends" at a gig was the worst moment of my life.

Now at uni some of my med school buddies wanted to form a RHCP cover band, so I become the guitarrist. We have a trained choir lead vocal, so I´m backing. Hopefully will get some vids up soon :D

As of now, learning Bach Cello suite N.1 prelude...and Lux Aeterna. I play Pearl Jam most of the time, but I´m most proud of my canon rock performance (from Jerry C). Own a good set of guitars, most used are Gibson LP Special (P90s) and a BC Rich Warlock plat. series to which I swapped humbuckers for EMG 81/85 set. So yeah, don´t have much money, what I have, I spend it mostly on this.

Xeroko
Forum Maid
Forum Maid

•      
  •      

Postby Xeroko » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:30 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Over the last couple of weeks I've been learning the Bouree from Bach's Violin Partita #1. There are 2 versions of it, the "double" was popularized by Segovia and is often called the "Segovia Version". This is recorded off of a laptop mic, there's some annoying noise in the background and outside, I think the dishwasher's going off in the first recording, I didn't think the mic would pick it up.

Bouree in Bm, Partita 1

Bouree in Bm, Segovia version

I'll try to record better versions of them (without the mistakes).

That's some really nice stuff Ornette, rather soothing.
As for my guitar playing, I haven't really advanced much due to not being able to practice, I kinda lost it when I fell ill last christmas and just haven't done much beyond messing around whenever, maybe one day I'll get back into it...
Clocks and Maids
Don't believe in yourself, believe in the maid who believes in you! <3
The Ewan McGregor and Jaime Lannister Fangirl of EGF
My cakes will pierce the heavens!
Maidly Quote: "I'll punish you in high heels!"

[url]http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt111/Xero103/1297051910683.jpg[/url]
~=Gothic Lolita=~
EGF's Herald of Slaanesh

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:40 am

I was actually considering posting that stuff in the "What are you working on" thread, but for the sake of keeping it all in the same place, I put it here. To be honest, this was the first time I played any classical guitar at all for over 2 years. At some point while putting together Fernando Sor's Grand Solo I realized that practice wasn't making me any better, and in particular, it was because I carried way too many bad habits. From work ethic when learning a piece to the way I was sitting and my posture. So I had to try to "forget" that stuff and try to start over; and a little bit of it was not being inspired enough with new pieces to learn together with the bad habits making it so I can't put together the ones that I wanted to play (I think that happened around William Walton's 5th Bagatelle). So a few weeks ago I decided to get back into it, try to do things the right way from the start, and pick up a relatively easy piece to play (the Bouree from Partita 1).

The reason why I make so many of these "crappy" recordings is because of a right brain/left brain thing. At least for me, when playing a piece it's almost all concentration; a defying of your muscle-memory from practice yet relying on it via technique, having control of every note, how long I can hold it until I absolutely need to move to the next, whether it needs to be plucked hard or light (and everywhere inbetween), with more skin or less, how far away from the bridge, the amount of vibrato, etc. It's all about the execution. When you go over the music and try to figure out how you you actually want to play the piece, you don't really get the brunt of the product. So I have to make these crappy recordings so that I can listen to them to make sure I'm actually interpreting things right. Sometimes I think I'm playing it right but when I listen to it (right brain), it just sounds corny. I need to be able to listen to how I'm executing without fully consumed with the actual executing. Also because I don't really have any means to put together a quality recording, and have to rely on other people for professional recordings like the tele-art project or various performances.

On the other end of the spectrum is Jazz, which I think is completely right brain. I've done a couple of shows since I took a hiatus, and I noted a serious loss in chops, but it's as close to an out of body experience as I can naturally get. Instead of concentrating on what I'm playing, what I have to do is to play the next thing, and to put myself in a position to play it the way I want, all I'm doing is listening to the end product. You're listening to the other people, but all at once when it's happening. You really don't have the luxury of thinking a whole lot about what you're actually playing. It kind of just happens and you're listening to the collective whole in order to adjust, perhaps at a note for note basis. It definitely depends on a tempo how introspective you can get, if it's really fast, you're just kind of spewing stuff sometimes, if it's slow you have a bit of time to think about what you want to spew. Regardless, you don't know what everyone else is doing so you still have to adjust for every beat.

I guess there's more rambling than I intended. But as far as electric guitars go, while it definitely has its place, and having owned such great instruments like an ES-335, the total control over what sound you're actually producing is reduced to something handed off to electronics.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:25 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:the total control over what sound you're actually producing is reduced to something handed off to electronics.
Not entirely. Low output pickups lowered down + naturally overdriven Class A amp = plenty of dynamic control.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:34 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:
I guess there's more rambling than I intended. But as far as electric guitars go, while it definitely has its place, and having owned such great instruments like an ES-335, the total control over what sound you're actually producing is reduced to something handed off to electronics.

Electric guitars depend on: pickups, amplifier, pre amplifiers and players skill.

Seasick Steve is a perfect example. His guitars are completely trashed by use, with bits held by duct tape, strings missing, crap pickups. But the man can still play blues like no one else.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

started on trumpet in 6th grade, switched to euphonium 9th grade, been self teaching myself piano for about a year now. i can play basic guitar and bass if i need to, and i've been playing violin on and off for a few weeks/months. if there's one thing i can't stand, it's people who only play guitar through tabs and think that they're the shit.
i want rebuild

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 am

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:started on trumpet in 6th grade, switched to euphonium 9th grade, been self teaching myself piano for about a year now. i can play basic guitar and bass if i need to, and i've been playing violin on and off for a few weeks/months. if there's one thing i can't stand, it's people who only play guitar through tabs and think that they're the shit.

that´d be me. I´m self taught, so I know zero music theory. Doesn´t stop me being good at it :unsure:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:20 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Not entirely. Low output pickups lowered down + naturally overdriven Class A amp = plenty of dynamic control.

For me, there's no comparison with the amount of control. Whereas one is fairly consistent (electric) and the other you need to spend years just to be able to consistently reproduce the same sound.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:50 pm

I find that's true, having played both for over 10 years now. Not saying one is better than the other, just that it's tougher to make acoustic instruments sound the way you want. There are worlds of difference between an acoustic piano and a keyboard, for example. Again, one isn't any better than the other (I much prefer playing my synth to playing my piano) but those elitist pianists do have a point about dynamic control. I can get similar response with weighted keys and touch sensitivity and you can sample sounds that sound almost identical, but you can do things with the acoustic's tone that just aren't possible with electronic instruments.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:For me, there's no comparison with the amount of control. Whereas one is fairly consistent (electric) and the other you need to spend years just to be able to consistently reproduce the same sound.
Oh, I actually misunderstood what you meant. Yeah, in acoustics the tiniest alterations in build and quality can have a major effect, while in electrics the pups and amp produce the majority of the tone. But that's actually why I always preferred electric because you can simply shape the sound by modifying the electronics. Bareknuckles hand-wound pups + Bad Cat amp = Godly goodness.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:41 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Oh, I actually misunderstood what you meant. Yeah, in acoustics the tiniest alterations in build and quality can have a major effect, while in electrics the pups and amp produce the majority of the tone. But that's actually why I always preferred electric because you can simply shape the sound by modifying the electronics. Bareknuckles hand-wound pups + Bad Cat amp = Godly goodness.

No, I wasn't talking about the build quality specifically, but the amount of control the person playing the instrument has. Case in point: I have a really nice piezo pickup made for classical guitars. If I play a single note, plucking it right above the sound hole, it makes a certain tone. If I cut my nails a little and do it again, this time, since my nails are a little shorter, there's a tiny but more flesh that rubs against the string when I pluck, I get a completely different tone. Likewise, I can pluck a little closer to the bridge, the closer I get, the more brighter the tone. I drop the pick-up on and just about anyway I play that one note, it all sounds the same coming out of the amp. I realize it's because the electronics are producing most of the tone, and that because it's electronic, you can actually get lots of sounds that isn't possible otherwise. The point of all this is, I want the control by making the sound, and not by adjusting knobs/pedals/switches/etc.

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:27 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:No, I wasn't talking about the build quality specifically, but the amount of control the person playing the instrument has. Case in point: I have a really nice piezo pickup made for classical guitars. If I play a single note, plucking it right above the sound hole, it makes a certain tone. If I cut my nails a little and do it again, this time, since my nails are a little shorter, there's a tiny but more flesh that rubs against the string when I pluck, I get a completely different tone. Likewise, I can pluck a little closer to the bridge, the closer I get, the more brighter the tone. I drop the pick-up on and just about anyway I play that one note, it all sounds the same coming out of the amp. I realize it's because the electronics are producing most of the tone, and that because it's electronic, you can actually get lots of sounds that isn't possible otherwise. The point of all this is, I want the control by making the sound, and not by adjusting knobs/pedals/switches/etc.

Gotta disagree there. Let´s say you are playing a standard stratocaster. You got 3 pickups. Where you pluck the string, where it´s closer to the back, towards the bridge, or even tapping on the frets will produce different sounds. Granted, the control isn´t as sensitive as an accoustic guitar, but remember that the theory behind it are the same. The string (nylon vs metal) gets plucked at different places, you get different vibration frequencies. Another example of electric guitar control is palm muting. How much I mute my strings produces a different sound, depending on how much of my hand is in contact. But I see what you mean, control in accoustic is a lot more obvious than electric.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:08 am

View Original PostVoland wrote:Gotta disagree there. Let´s say you are playing a standard stratocaster. You got 3 pickups. Where you pluck the string, where it´s closer to the back, towards the bridge, or even tapping on the frets will produce different sounds. Granted, the control isn´t as sensitive as an accoustic guitar, but remember that the theory behind it are the same. The string (nylon vs metal) gets plucked at different places, you get different vibration frequencies. Another example of electric guitar control is palm muting. How much I mute my strings produces a different sound, depending on how much of my hand is in contact. But I see what you mean, control in accoustic is a lot more obvious than electric.

I didn't mean that there's no control at all. The things you mention are pretty basic stuff that appear notated in music (tapping/hammer/pull = slurs, plucking near the bridge = sul ponticello, palm muting = pizzicato). I see that as more basic vocabulary as opposed to actual control. For instance, there are people (who are ungodly good) that play pizzicato by muting with their fretting hand as opposed to the picking hand, freeing it to take advantage of producing different tones or even producing harmonics (while muted).

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:23 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I didn't mean that there's no control at all. The things you mention are pretty basic stuff that appear notated in music (tapping/hammer/pull = slurs, plucking near the bridge = sul ponticello, palm muting = pizzicato). I see that as more basic vocabulary as opposed to actual control. For instance, there are people (who are ungodly good) that play pizzicato by muting with their fretting hand as opposed to the picking hand, freeing it to take advantage of producing different tones or even producing harmonics (while muted).

I think I´m gonna shut up since my skill and knowledge are no way close to yours..hope I didn´t make a fool of myself :redface:

Leighton
Lilith

Anyone play a musical instrument?

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:42 am

I play drums - all sorts of genres.

You?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:45 am

I bought acoustic guitar 2+ years ago

I still haven't learned to play it

what do I win?

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:52 am

Lots. Mainly guitar. I'm not very good.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:54 am

I play . . . with minds.

Shhhh.

Go home and think about that.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Anyone play a musical instrument?

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:15 am

View Original PostLeighton wrote:I play drums - all sorts of genres.

You?

May I call you Ritsu???
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Light
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Light » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 am

I play classical guitar and suck at it.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”