Musical Prodigies, Show Yourselves!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

Musical Prodigies, Show Yourselves!

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Okay...if someone already made this thread, go on and throw it in the cement-ary.

I know many of you guys play an instrument or sing...so if you know a song really well, post a link to it! Say the song and instrument, yada yada...

Well I don't expect anyone to post anything yet (No time to record myself), but whenever you have time, yuknow...

And it doesn't even have to be an actual instrument! Whatever you guys come up with...I mean,

It would be just awesome to see another side of all of you guys...and it's totally cool with me if you're not like Liszt or... or... SSLLLAASSHH...or Pavarotti, or...yeah...but you get the picture...no pressure, k?

:kawaii:
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:41 pm

I can flow futuristic.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:13 pm

i can tear shit up on guitar. i used to be a bassoonist in HS. bass, drums, several woodwinds. like to write music too. maybe sometime.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:38 pm

Played guitar in the highschool jazz big band for 2 years, nothing of significance. Took a minor in music in college and studied classical guitar in 1992. Studied Jazz Performance under Eric Kloss but was ultimately unable to finish the Jazz minor. Played with the CMU classical guitar ensemble for 6 years. I had a CD, but I can't find it. Must have given it to my parents. Most of the music we played were 20th century, such as Leo Brouwer, Leo Balada (who taught composition at CMU), and Joaquin Rodrigo, including arrangements from several standards.

Recordings I have:
From circa 1995: (from a portable tape recorder, so terrible sound quality)
Mateo Carcassi, Etude in A,
Bach Prelude in Bm, Prelude in Dm, Prelude in Em,
Niccolo Paganini, Sonata #1, Sonata #37 (warning this one is *rough*)
Found all these one an old roomate's website, didn't even know copies of those existed since I got evicted from that apartment.

From circa 1999:
Lennox Berkeley's Sonatina 3rd movement, at an art opening at CMU's "The Frame".

From 2004:
Recorded by a friend of mine while I was at his apartment, these 4 were extracted from about an hour + of random conversation (I don't remember any of this, so I was probably drunk).
Thelonious Monk, Crepuscule with Nellie,
Erik Satie, Gymnopedie #1,
William Walton, Bagatelle #2, Bagatelle #3

From April 2007: Recorded using my laptop's built in microphone, terrible quality, was using it for practice but this piece never ended up getting recorded with real recording equipment.
Fernando Sor, Grand Solo

Non-classical: From anytime between 1993-1995, some band that I was in when I was in college, not sure what was really going on, since 99% of the songs we played I've never heard before (was all pop), and this was some live recording that somehow survived over the years:
Pink Floyd, Atom Heart Mother (excerpt, not going to subject you people to the whole 24 minute long song).

Since I don't own any recording equipment, things get recorded by random people who happen to be somewhere that I'm playing. The only studio recording of anything I've done was for http://www.tele-art.org/ which is a local artist's project of putting short clips of local artists online and make it so you can call yourself with one of the pieces. The 3 songs I played were the same ones from that 2004 recording, and they're excerpts and sound terrible because they were mixed for mobile phone speakers.
Last edited by Ornette on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:12 pm

well, before puberty, I was a tenor, now I'm more of a baritone, though IMO I sound OK, a cross somewhere between Don Henley, Elton John, James Taylor, Roger Waters, John Mellencamp, David Gahan and Gordon Lightfoot (just try to wrap your head around THAT sound :dizzy: ), depending on song style

I played the trumpet for a year or so in elementary school as a part of a band class, but only after being forced to since I was not allowed to play the guitar or piano, and thus I was never really any good at it, and thereafter transferring out of the band class I quickly stopped playing

in retrospect, I should have done at least the saxophone or, probably better, the violin or cello since I could have got infinitely more value from those instruments for what I wanted to do musically

anyway, I am currently learning (slowly) to play the keyboard/piano, I can play a few simple songs (more like a somewhat random series of chord progressions) on it, and when I have reached a more intermediated to advanced level of playing, I hope to learn to play the guitar and maybe the sax or drums after that

however, one thing I have down pat is SONGWRITING, especially lyrics, I quite a few album's worth of songs, different genres too, from super sappy ballads to silly parodies to bone-shattering heavy metal to experimental "symphonies" involving things called microtones

for MOAR that, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtonal_music
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:54 pm

@ Hal's Microtones: That sounds very cool.

@Ornette's Guitarzas: Very cool stuff. I haven't heard Classical Music played on a Guitar in ages... :clap: good stuff, really good stuff. Very calming...and the Pink Floyd excerpt is excellent, yo!

I'm still practicing my pieces, and have a link to an AVI file if possible, and if not I'll just record myself.

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:59 pm

I sing. Soprano 1. Recently, our best male in the choir complimented me with the title of "Best Soprano". I was quite flattered.

I can teach myself some piano music. It's not extremely easy, though. I'm trying to learn a version of the Kyrie and Gackt's Regret piano solo which he composed while a member of Malice Mizer.
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:10 am

I played the Recorder in 4th grade. And what a bitchin good time that was, let me tell ya!
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:38 am

I was forced to learn the Recorder in 5th grade...o.o

@birdy: Wish I could sing well...

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:41 am

I learned to play the keyboard/piano in Grades 3, 4, 5 and 6.

I can play quite a few songs like "Thanatos" but I have no recording device etc etc, so I can't post the link.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:51 am

Then buy one! hehe...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:24 am

I can play guitar, piano, and compose music... all very badly.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:16 pm

Ornette, everything you linked there sounds really good!

TheAyanamiOtaku wrote:...and it's totally cool with me if you're not like SLLLAASSHH

I tried to do the opening bit from Sweet Child o'Mine because you mentioned Slash - played on a Westfield Les Paul copy - I haven't played in over a year now and it sounds mushy, but it was fun to do.

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:24 pm

took up electric bass early in HS when some friends and I formed a band. the band (The Dictators, btw--thought it was a pretty cool name at the time) never really got off the ground, but i kept playin bass.
got a warwick and messed around with jazz for a few years. joined a jazz band, played a couple of small gigs, that kind of thing...

recently I've taken up the BAGPIPE. been goin on about a year.
yeah, celtic stuff gets me everytime. and braveheart's pretty damn cool.

also, I mix my own electronic music. mostly hardtrance, hardstyle, jumpstyle, and gabber. nothing great, though.
reminds me, i need to get a new soundcard...

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:16 pm

ok here is me dicking around on guitar randomly. you have to use headphones or have really loud speakers. my mic is shit. but here i am sucking. http://ZapX.fileave.com/randomcrap.mp3
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:16 pm

My friend just pointed me to some other gems (turds?)

From 1994: Henry=Drums, Lin=me, Shaw=Bass
http://www.busaichedelic.org/HLS/

I found "UFO" to be particularly interesting

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:46 pm

Hey, Ornette's "crappy" grand solo isn't that bad. In fact, I like it!

:pyro:

By the way, were you playing that while you were drunk?
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

birdyofthemoongoddess
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby birdyofthemoongoddess » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:02 am

I have some crap videos of me singing a few years ago on my youtube... and a few of my piano skills... from a while ago, again... :(
Birdy is a girl.
hannah's handprints.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:06 am

Alright beserk lets not blend fiction and nonfiction together.....
Last edited by TheAyanamiOtaku on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:08 am

I play violin and piano, both grade 8 (British), and played both as a violin and piano soloist for a few of my school orchestra's concertos we do.
I feel old

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”