Shinji, Asuka and Life after " End of Evangelion "

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Shinji, Asuka and Life after " End of Evangelion "

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:01 pm

Ok for those of us that have watched EoE with all the hope and death and confusion that came with it.

I ask a few questions about the ending all related and not related at the same time.

Please answer as simply and truthfully as possable.

What do you think was the meaning of the last scene " I need you"?

Do you think they learned at all from what happened to them in the sea of LCL and over the course of the series ingeneral.

How do you think Asuka and Shinji will fair in the post 3rd impact world?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:09 pm

Oh, good Lord.

DatDude wrote:What do you think was the meaning of the last scene " I need you"?

This scene could honestly be the most debated scene in Evangelion. Ever. This one's going to be hard to put into words for me, let alone a comprehensible paragraph-ish. :P

It could be Shinji saying "I need you," not to anyone in particular, but just to anyone who would be willing to stay with him and love him. Judging from the fact that Asuka is the first one to be "reborn" (for lack of a better term... ) and the first person Shinji actually physically comes in contact with after his ordeal, one could assume this anyone would be Asuka. Maybe. Maybe not. For those who support Asuka/Shinji love, they'd probably agree that Asuka is Shinji's "someone." I mean, it's very symbolic that the two of the end up totally alone on the beach after Shinji rejects HIP, but the way the two interact (Shinji strangling Asuka, Asuka remarking "How disgusting... ") kind of threw me for a loop.

DatDude wrote:Do you think they learned at all from what happened to them in the sea of LCL and over the course of the series ingeneral.

Well, obviously Shinji learned something. You can tell what happened to him before he washed up on shore had some sort of impact, although it would have been a little more satisfying to me if he had some sort of breakdown, like if he screamed or something, instead of just crying quietly. But that shows what kind of a person he is. It's hard to tell if anyone else learned anything from being incorporated in the LCL, because it seemed to me that nobody was really "themself" and was not consciously aware that they were no longer a separate entity. Plus, the only viewpoints we got during HIP were Rei and Shinji, Shinji most of the time.

DatDude wrote:How do you think Asuka and Shinji will fair in the post 3rd impact world?

I don't really like to think about what happens after the movie ends. I find it strangely satisfying to think that Asuka and Shinji just stay that way for the rest of their life (Shinji on top of Asuka, crying, and Asuka staring at Shinji saying "How disgusting... "). I don't know why, but... I just do.
Close your eyes and listen hard

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:50 pm

This sort of thread shouts out "very long replies required" for it to be any good. :shock:

Just answering the main question, I think they would have learnt from that. The thing is that whether you learn from it or not will generally make no difference. It's either one way or the other: Be serene in the pool of LCL or feel the pain/lonliness in life. There's no way you can have a bit of both. Before Asuka appeared, Shinji would have been fine. Loneliness did not, yet, exist because no one else existed to feel lonley from. But Asuka came.
Shinji was the first to initiate the 'original sin' if you'd like to call it that. (I just made that up on the spot.) It was his first impulse. When the two humans interact, Shinji, like his usual typical self, will hurt them. And he'll be hurt right back. The two coming up marks the beginning of mankind, all over again. They can't change how people interact with each other.
The scene is very heart-wrenching. It pretty much says, "it's happening all over again."
See, if you learn that people are lonely and are hurt because they are the way they are, it can't mean anything. It's like discovering gravity. So what? What makes the difference whether we know gravity exists or not? Well, we know that there is a way to escape gravity. But that's just it. Shinji refuses to escape his human form for HIP. See? There is little difference when he learns about it. Things will continue to be the way they are.

However, Asuka and Shinji will go off fine, together. They would have learnt the meaning of "I need you." The front cover of the DVD might represent them two taking long walks on the beach, together and watching the sun set... behind Rei's head.
Yeah, I have confidence they'll get along.
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:35 pm

well..
i feel that Shinji learns to trust himself a bit more, evidenced in his scene with his mother, in which they part, as well as accept the pain for the joy in life. Asuka also probably learned something similar, though she probably went through a different instrumentality that Shinji did...and came out the same, rejecting it.
the life after 3I should be a tad difficult (no one to help them) but it shouldnt have been too hard...
and as the eva-comic thing showed, there is a very large source of meat along the horizon...lol jk
and they probably would get along, being the A/S fan i am, i am somewhat biased in that respect.
the meaning of "i need you" i feel is Shinji's yearning for human contact and interaction, which he faces through the series, and tries to stop, as he feels that being hurt isnt worth it....initially....
and the strangling part...it confused me...
arguments that i have heard say that he wants to confirm that it isnt the sea of lcl anymore, to see if he can cause himself pain, etc...
so...i dont know...

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:02 am

Well as usual I like to hear form others before i answer myself so here I go.

What do you think was the meaning of the last scene " I need you"?

That scene to me ment that yes Shinji & Asuka did decide to come back, but just being able to " imagin themselves with in their own hearts" didn't make all their problems go away.

Asuka was still disgusted by the though of human contact of needing any one.

Shinji strangled Asuka for a reason, because he cared about her, and like Misato talked about hurting others to make your self feel bad. Shinji needed to know if he was back and not inanother dreamworld. So he used Asuka, like in the hospital, or like how he tryed to take care of the people he lived with to make himself " feel needed ".

In short they came back and brought all thier problems with them, but as Yui said " If you are alive their is hope" and "anywear can be paradice if you can be happy."

They came back they have hope that every thing can still turn out ok but thats all everything else they need to do for themselves.

Do you think they learned at all from what happened to them in the sea of LCL and over the course of the series ingeneral.

I think they learned that giving up or running away is not the answer. The rest they still need to work on.

I'm convinced that to return from instrumentality ment that you had to face yourself. If they can do that then the sky is the limit.

How do you think Asuka and Shinji will fair in the post 3rd impact world?

Facing yourself is one thing facing some one else is another matter.

While watching eva I was alway looking for one moment wear these two would really connect. They came close a few times ( dancing, kissing, talking after Asuka phone call) but if one opened the other would pull away.

I'd like to think that when the shock those two could talk about what happened and what their mothers tryed to tech them that day, about hope and needing to go on living.

Most of all though I want to belive that if anno ment eva to be a mrror of his life then and he came out of his depression and got a life that that means that in then end Shinji did too.

houtaru
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby houtaru » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:36 am

I thought we knew what happend after EOE by reading evacomics^^.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:42 am

How often does that comic update again ? :lol:

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:50 pm

Once everone forgets about it then they make another one lol.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:23 pm

MAGI wrote:It's either one way or the other: Be serene in the pool of LCL or feel the pain/lonliness in life.

As Shinji proved in episode #20, floating around in LCL in NOT a "serene" experience. Floating around in "quantum form" or not, the ATF is still the barrier between minds that makes us individuals -- and is responsible for the pain and loneliness we feel. And at the end of EoE, everyone has their ATFs, just as Shinji wanted. The only thing that's missing is the will to live again.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:01 pm

I personally like the lonelyness I feel. Lonelyness, Hate, Fear, Love, Hope is what makes humans differnt from most the other forms of life in the Taintum.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:30 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:I personally like the lonelyness I feel. Lonelyness, Hate, Fear, Love, Hope is what makes humans differnt from most the other forms of life in the Taintum.

WTF is "the Taintum"?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:32 pm

Reichu wrote:
Dark FireStar wrote:I personally like the lonelyness I feel. Lonelyness, Hate, Fear, Love, Hope is what makes humans differnt from most the other forms of life in the Taintum.

WTF is "the Taintum"?

i don't think that this Taintum of DFS has to do with the topic...
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:32 pm

Taintum is my own word for the universe lol dont you people make your own words.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:26 am

Dark FireStar wrote:Taintum is my own word for the universe lol dont you people make your own words.

:roll:
no personally i don't..
and it has nothing to do with the topic i believe..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:45 pm

You may think so but someone might be given an idea by my word or be changed by what i said. "Never dissmiss an idea just because its not in the right place" (my own quote!)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”