Robot Carnival - Tale of Two Robots (Sadamoto)

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

Robot Carnival - Tale of Two Robots (Sadamoto)

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:54 pm

The Route 20 poster made me want to post about one of my favorite animes of all time: Tale of Two Robots. It was one of the segments in a movie called Robot Carnival (1987). The character designs were made by none other than Sadamoto. It was one of the first animes I ever saw, and I totally love the characters (so much so that I bought a cell). Here are some images:

[url]www.profdutterer.com/RC1.jpg[/url]
[url]www.profdutterer.com/RC2.jpg[/url]

Anyone else seen it? [url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093871/[/url]
Done. Guarding.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:56 pm

Looks funny. Is it like a kids show??
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:57 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:Looks funny. Is it like a kids show??

Well, not really. That particular segment is pretty funny and light-hearted, but some of the other segments are more violent or emotional.
Done. Guarding.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:00 pm

Oh excellent! Is it another of tho's rare hard to find Animes?
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:23 pm

huh! i never knew that. i've never seen Robot Carnival, probably cause it's still not out on DVD.

i'm actually working on a feature on the character designers of Gainax... i'll add this one to Sadamoto's list!

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:30 pm

Otaprince wrote:huh! i never knew that. i've never seen Robot Carnival, probably cause it's still not out on DVD.

i'm actually working on a feature on the character designers of Gainax... i'll add this one to Sadamoto's list!

It's out on DVD, just not here. You can get a HK DVD from eBay, or import sites.
Done. Guarding.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:56 pm

I've checked around here and its not in any of the stores here :evil:

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:52 pm

I saw this years ago when Cartoon Network ran some kind of Anime Invasion special--it was Vampire Hunter D, Robot Carnivale and some other movie length OVA (can't remember what it was called). In any event, I have it on VHS somewhere but God only knows where it is. Robot Carnivale is awsome--intriguing shorts, wonderful artwork, etc. If you can get your hands on it (for a reasonable price) I recommend it...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:41 am

bp32 wrote:I saw this years ago when Cartoon Network ran some kind of Anime Invasion special--it was Vampire Hunter D, Robot Carnivale and some other movie length OVA (can't remember what it was called). In any event, I have it on VHS somewhere but God only knows where it is. Robot Carnivale is awsome--intriguing shorts, wonderful artwork, etc. If you can get your hands on it (for a reasonable price) I recommend it...

Mighty, mighty eBay:

[url]http://search.ebay.com/robot-carnival_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40[/url]

It actually has been licenced by a company here (I can't remember who, but they do Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), but they have had the project shelved for at least three years. Whenever I see their booth at Otakon, I pester them. They keep saying "Maybe next year..." The problem is I have a VHS copy of the original broadcast, and the voice acting is great. The voice acting on the HK DVD that I have is not the same, and is of much poorly quality (stylistically speaking). If that company ever puts out the original, all cleaned up and nice, I will be most happy.
Done. Guarding.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:41 am

Someone showed Robot Carnival to me over Christmas break, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Sadamoto in the credits. Considerably less pleasant was the dub of "Tale of Two Robots"; I think I remember the original "Akira" dub being more listenable. I really want to see the thing in Japanese.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:08 am

There's a nice 2 cd raw with softsubs available. Me download!
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”