Sysop list and administration

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Sysop list and administration

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:19 am

I thought I'd bring this up once again. Who will our five sysops be?

Also, if anyone is intent on handling specific areas of content for the wiki(Mangas, production info), do ask here.

(I know this thread might be out of place, but we've procrastinated quite a bit here. Feel free to lock this if it serves no purpose.)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:44 pm

As I posted in the FGP thread, I’ve been running around a la Bill Murray at the end of Groundhog Day the past 2 weeks, trying to be nice and kind to everyone and helpful/suggestive!  Please read through my user contributions for the past few weeks Reichu http://evageeks.org/FGP/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=100&target=V I haven’t had much time, but in that space since the 28th of last month, I’ve desperately been trying to set things aright. Yes, I was being overbearing before, I really wish you’d have pointed this out to be sooner because I honestly didn’t realize it and would have stopped had I been “poked”, etc. ***please read the longer post I made in the “Minionistration” thread in the FGP forum; also please, I’ve been trying as hard as I possibly could to help out/direct everyone and be “hands off”/helpful/giving advice/suggestions, to Wayneiac, Incisivis, Shiro, UA, etc. I was very worried when in IRC chat you said you hadn’t been reading through what was going on on the wiki lately when I was honestly working my heart out to set things aright. UA himself said he went a little overboard when he first became a mod but after a while got a handle on things; I’m sorry, I’ve taken your waring to heart, and could really do a lot for the project as one of the several new Admins. Please take the time to read through my handy “list ‘o’ user contributions” above…
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:06 pm

I don't think this belongs in the public subforum...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Oh, aaargh, never mind...

All right, V ,you've been nice, but are we getting anywhere with this? Who's in line to be in it all?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:21 pm

"Who's in line to be in it all?" -- What? (don't follow your sentence)

In terms of who would be "up":

My private list of "people I would have appointed as Admins when we had enough users signed up" (before the site constitution took a while to set up) were:

Incisivis
Sailor Stardust
TheWayneiac
UrsusArctos
Ornette
(EvaMonkey too but I think he's really "Retired" retired so I guess not)

Under the new system I'd like to be in too.

Ornette already said he would indeed want to be an admin, while Dr. Nick declined the possibility and said he didn't want to be an admin even if offered.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:44 pm

V wrote:"Who's in line to be in it all?"

I mean, who's willing to be in the job? Of being a sysop?

And BobBQ is not willing, either.
Reichu, any changes?

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:35 pm

oh okay

when did Bob say that?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:56 pm

I'm willing, provided somebody would at least tell me beforehand of just what this job entails and what needs to be done. :wink:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:27 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'm willing, provided somebody would at least tell me beforehand of just what this job entails and what needs to be done. :wink:

Basically you enforce all the rules, both for writing the stuff, and/or mediating disputes between users (just like how you are a mod in the forums) and you're already one of the "best and brightest" EG has; as there are supposedly "no girls on the Internets" having you on board would be a real boon. Further, you've started out as a fanfic writer (and mod of a fanfic subforum) which would add an excellent skillset to the project; wikis are too often cold, cut and dry, with no interpretation of character or relationship stuff. I've been hoping you would help us out with that.

Wikipedia tries to convince people that its this wacky monk-like thing (it's why so few girls are wiki-admins) when what we're shooting for here is really more like being a moderators on a forum (which you already know about...)

just do what you always do, really; as my mom is wont to say to my sister, "just be your normal loveable self" (of course, she says that sarcastically...)
Who is "Codename V"?....

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:54 pm

V wrote: Further, you've started out as a fanfic writer (and mod of a fanfic subforum) which would add an excellent skillset to the project; wikis are too often cold, cut and dry, with no interpretation of character or relationship stuff. I've been hoping you would help us out with that.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

WAFF? On the Wiki? That's absolutely unacceptable!

Wikipedia tries to convince people that its this wacky monk-like thing (it's why so few girls are wiki-admins)

I find that a dubious thing to say.

just do what you always do, really; as my mom is wont to say to my sister, "just be your normal loveable self" (of course, she says that sarcastically...)

Yeah, yeah, yeah...can we get over this? Please? Nobody's asking anybody to be anything other than themselves. Just take care of things, that's all.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:01 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:
V wrote: Further, you've started out as a fanfic writer (and mod of a fanfic subforum) which would add an excellent skillset to the project; wikis are too often cold, cut and dry, with no interpretation of character or relationship stuff. I've been hoping you would help us out with that.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

WAFF? On the Wiki? That's absolutely unacceptable!

You misunderstand: I mean in the sense that "being able to write in prose" is a needed skill for the "encyclopedia", not just a "bulleted list of cold hard facts". "Fanfiction" on an "encyclopedia" is like a Deception breaking bread with an Autobot and singing koombaya together. Nonetheless "people that can actually write prose" is a huge plus, and I really liked all of SSD's previous work so far on the project.

P.S. No Ursus, of course "WAFF on the Wiki" would be heresy. PWP, however, is a horse of a different color, if you catch my subtle innuendo...
Who is "Codename V"?....

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:06 am

I'm not sure if I'm right for any high position. I'm glad that V likes my work, but I really I don't have as much experience with the supplemental material for NGE (i.e., games, guides, alternate continuties), and even less with conflict management.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:01 pm

Well that's kind of why you'd be good at it; the wikiholics like to keep this a secret but....they have no idea how to resolve "conflicts" either. People ascend to Adminship in wikipedia by making fancy wiki-templates, instead of actually contributing.

You've been even-handed and level headed with your contributions these past few months, they always made sense, and never conflicted with anything. You've got my vote :leekspin:
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:04 pm

Just because I happen to be around tonight, my current thoughts on "who to give sysop privs to"...

UrsusArctos, Ornette, SSD, and Wayne are the names that pop out at me. Regardless of how much Ornette works on the articles themselves, I would want him to have the privileges, since he's ... well... Ornette! The winner of the EvaGeeks Death Match! The patron saint of alcohol!

As far as V goes, I wouldn't be comfortable putting ... ver in any position that grants "special say" in the management of actual Wiki content. A tacit restriction to management of "Wiki" aspects of the site would be permissible, however.

I don't give a person's chromosomal or genital configuration the slightest consideration in these matters. It's a decided mystery that V especially, who maintains a strict policy of personal androgenity, would place any emphasis on the biological sex of others.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:12 am

Yes

Reichu I've always felt that I could be overruled about stuff I don't understand, and I would be really embarrassed and upset, if stuff I wrote stayed up not because it was "correct" but because "I'm an Admin and I say so even though I am wrong"

A tacit restriction to management of "Wiki" aspects of the site would be permissible, however.

So yeah, it would be cool to be "Admin - Techie" not "Admin - Content"

UrsusArctos, SailorStardust, Wayniac, and Ornette are as I said, already on the short list of "people I would have appointed Admins once we got enough people to justify doing that"

I would like to hope that (like, many months from now) if I write well enough and show a command of the stuff, my "duties" could be extended to "Admin -Content" as well --->but it is far better that I *prove* my command of the knowledge, working my way up to that. I haven't been with the online Eva fandom as long as others (I've been here a year) , one day I'd like to be on equal "special say" status with regard to content on equal (but not superior) level to the other content Admins, but I'll have to work hard and diligently for that :)

Well either way that's a while from now. ^_^

That said, er....if we're having a raging debate over "whose soul is in Eva 00" or something, I will still....."argue my case" that is, say "why I think such and such" but not have final say......what I'm trying to say I that I'll still try to argue my case on topics on the wiki and the forum, but no more than the same way the normal regular users get to (like Zugy)....I'm just saying that I'm not going to be afraid to debate a point'n'stuff, but yeah its not like I have authority or anything. I'd actually be upset if people just accepted stuff I said not because it was "wow, logically developed and true" but "just admin say-so"...etc. etc. I'm rambling.

Yes I would like to be one of the techie Admins, thank you very much Reichu.

Reichu, when will you officially promote all of us to Admin? There's certain "protected" pages I cannot punch up now in my current capacity.

My idea was you said I should be totally hands-off from the wiki for a while beyond helping, and I still want to make a big drive to "help the noobs rather than write it for them", but there's also stuff regulars need to kick-start for the noobs and such; I thought I'd be "hands off" for like a month (until like March) and then could I start adding stuff again?

Thank you Reichu, I'd like to get back to work as one of "Teh Admins" as soon as I can.

P.S. I'd still push for Insicivis as an Admin, regarldess of gender, because she's displayed a great understanding of the show, indeed was on the original EvaCommentary, and I was very impressed with her clear additions to the character pages.

What say you my Lord?
Last edited by V on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Okay, V....

I know I said to you in PM that we should wait and see what anyone else would say about me being an admin, but I am not really qualified.

Yeah, I was in with the original commentaries, but I tend to have a very narrow, focused, specialized point: I'm all about the human characters, picking their diseased brains, and leaving the more esoteric, difficult material alone--it's not because I'm lazy, it's because that's what's interesting to me. That's why I took up that part of the wiki, when no one else was doing it.

The way I see it, you need a broader interest and involvement in NGE-subjects to qualify for a position of authoritay. I was never involved in any Epic Threads or Great Fanwanking in regards to NGE. And there was a point when I was just detached from the fandom for some reason, and left for about three years.

I'm glad that you think I can write well; it's very flattering. I've been having a tremendous amount of fun with this project (despite how lazy I can sometimes be), but I'm best suited for, and happy with, the role of minion-scribe. I don't think I bring any sort of magic that could make me ascend over my lack of concrete qualifications.

Also, my gender doesn't mean anything in regards to how well I can perform.

Once again, I thank you for your compliments, V, but I don't see why I should be an admin, and I don't *want* to be an admin.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:49 pm

http://evageeks.org/FGP/Talk:Evangelion_Unit-05_%28Rebuild%29

Reichu if we above candidates are your choice, there's some tasks (like deleting stuff and changing things on protected pages) that cannot be worked on without Admin status. You said you were busy with RL stuff, I hope that's going ok: can you please squeaze in the time to change the user-status to admin so we can get to work on stuff?
Who is "Codename V"?....

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:04 pm

To reiterate the advice of National Geographic employee Nob Odawara to two American colleagues doing an article on Japan's Imperial Palace- "Don't be cowboys!"

Have a little patience, V. Reichu seems to be having plenty of real-life work at this period. Wait till she's a little freer, okay? You don't want the lady to get angry with you. :)

When the time comes, articles like those will be deleted. I think the least that can be done is to mark all the unwanted ones with "merge" or "delete" tags so they can be purged with maximum efficiency. The purging can wait for the time being.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:48 pm

When the time comes, articles like those will be deleted. I think the least that can be done is to mark all the unwanted ones with "merge" or "delete" tags so they can be purged with maximum efficiency. The purging can wait for the time being.

indeed

[omfg V that "woo!" smilie should not be abused like this]
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:32 am

V: I'm currently not comfortable giving you sysop privileges back. I will address this in a PM or something.

UrsusArctos has been elevated to start with.

Can sysops create new accounts? I haven't added any of the latest people who offered themselves up (and I've understandably faltered at Imp... AHERM).
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”