Sadamoto's first manga, Route 20

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

Sadamoto's first manga, Route 20

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:33 am

anyone read Route 20? It only ran 65 pages or so, around 1991.

anyway, i found it a very interesting work. It has Akira's sorta careless attitude toward death (not to mention that it's about teenage punks on motorcycles in post-apocalyptic Japan) and trouble-making. I wish that someday we would know what happened to these characters, but i guess we never will...
Last edited by Otaprince on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:42 pm

Looks, Feels, and Sounds intresting.......Erika looks hott to O_o.
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:22 pm

Otaprince, I've got the trailer, the manga RARs, and the four Alpha scans in a directory if you would like to link. You know, cause bittorrent really sucks if you're on dialup.

http://www.evamonkey.com/route20/

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:39 pm

------
Last edited by Otaprince on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:31 pm

Is this sold at any of the anime stores or is it one of thos rare thingys
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:47 pm

If it were available for purchase, I wouldn't be hosting it.

This is hard enough to find online, let alone for purchase. Someone once told me about this 2 years ago, and its taken me this long to come across it.

But now, Sadamoto fans can appreciate it! I'll keep this archived so people can download it till they're blue in the face.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:59 pm

So they never started selling them? Or it dident do to well?

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

Re: Sadamoto's first manga, Route 20

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:34 pm

Otaprince wrote:anyone read Route 20? It only ran 65 pages or so, around 1991. i've done a write-up here:

http://www.gainaxpages.com/features/route20.html

anyway, i found it a very interesting work. It has Akira's sorta careless attitude toward death (not to mention that it's about teenage punks on motorcycles in post-apocalyptic Japan) and trouble-making. I wish that someday we would know what happened to these characters, but i guess we never will...

ROUTE 20 may not be Sadamoto's very first manga. I've heard from a pretty knowledgeable source, Tomo Machiyama (co-author of ANIME CITY, but he has a list of publishing credits in Japan as long as Unit-02's arm) that Sadamoto had his professional debut as a young man years ago in Akita Shoten's SHONEN CHAMPION magazine (recent manga such as WORST and IKEBUKURO WEST GATE PARK are from this mag) but that he was unable to get more than a few chapters of his story done, and (like ROUTE 20) there wasn't really enough to collect.

Except by asking Sadamoto and/or Akita Shoten, it would be very difficult to confirm the details of this story; while you can lay hands on back issues of NEWTYPE, almost no one in Japan saves manga magazines. I'm inclined to think the basic story of this "phantom" Sadamoto manga is true, but unfortunately there isn't much more to say about it at this time, other than to perhaps make a note of it.

lyricaldanichan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lyricaldanichan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:25 pm

If anybody is wondering how the R20 trailer got online.. well *cough* *cough*

hehehe

I remeber about hmm 15-18 years ago when Animag (RIP) had a huge article about Wings of Honeamise (Issue 7.. ahhh!) which also talked about Route 20. In fact the contest they had was 2 signed sketches from the two main charaters in Router 20. I wonder what happen to those sketches and if the winners still have it or ebayed it off.

I am lucky that I have 2 sketches from Sadamoto.. one of Shirotsugu (he is SO DREAMY) and a small one in my WoH book of Nadia from Anime Con 91'.

If I could only relive Anime Con 91'.... hahaha!

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:01 pm

lyricaldanichan wrote:If anybody is wondering how the R20 trailer got online.. well *cough* *cough*

hehehe

I remeber about hmm 15-18 years ago when Animag (RIP) had a huge article about Wings of Honeamise (Issue 7.. ahhh!) which also talked about Route 20. In fact the contest they had was 2 signed sketches from the two main charaters in Router 20. I wonder what happen to those sketches and if the winners still have it or ebayed it off.

I am lucky that I have 2 sketches from Sadamoto.. one of Shirotsugu (he is SO DREAMY) and a small one in my WoH book of Nadia from Anime Con 91'.

If I could only relive Anime Con 91'.... hahaha!

I figured it was you, Danielle, or should I say Sato. Actually one of the ANIMAG staff has the original cover painting Sadamoto did (on commission) for that issue! Gainax wanted to borrow it for an art book some years later, but they figured they'd never get it back if they let it leave the country...probably wise.

I'm very jealous of you, since I spent AnimeCon '91 stuck in a motel in Chandler, Arizona. At least I got to work on my tan. But I live the convention and its PC-98 ecchi vicariously through you.

When HONNEAMISE showed at a theater in Honolulu in '94, the local reviewer thought Shiro definitely looked "hapa."

--C.

P.S. Actually (Comic Book Store Guy in THE SIMPSONS voice) it was not issue 7 of ANIMAG, it was issue 3, thank you very much.

lyricaldanichan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lyricaldanichan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:45 pm

Carl Horn wrote:I figured it was you, Danielle, or should I say Sato. Actually one of the ANIMAG staff has the original cover painting Sadamoto did (on commission) for that issue! Gainax wanted to borrow it for an art book some years later, but they figured they'd never get it back if they let it leave the country...probably wise.

I wish I could find the tape with the Kia Asamiya/Gainax short and that Making of Wings of Honeamise.

Oh really? It is a nice cover picture which I am sure is worth a lot of $$$$
now.

I'm very jealous of you, since I spent AnimeCon '91 stuck in a motel in Chandler, Arizona. At least I got to work on my tan. But I live the convention and its PC-98 ecchi vicariously through you.

Well it was one of the perks that got me that Gainax bumper sticker that I gave you later on!

P.S. Actually (Comic Book Store Guy in THE SIMPSONS voice) it was not issue 7 of ANIMAG, it was issue 3, thank you very much.

Ah hah! Best issue 3 that I had the pleasure of owning twice! Too bad I lost both issues :(

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”