One of my Eva fan dubs

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

the-artist-known-as-chris
Adam

One of my Eva fan dubs

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:36 pm

Seeing as im striving to beacome a voice actor myself, I make these to give myself some pratice and to test myself, and also for fun. So here is it, what do you guys think?

http://members.rogers.com/antichris/song.wmv

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:56 pm

Well, I originally wrote what was in the box, below, but I've decided to rewrite it, again.

That was really good work. Though my only frame of reference is me, I must say you are good at this stuff. However, I think that there was problem with 'casting'. :lol: But you can beat me any day. I've actually tried to do something along those lines, myself. I did Kaworu (because that's the closest I could get my voice to) and I didn't do well. I don't have a good voice, but you do. That was good, Chris. That was fun.
Look, all I can say is... you're better than me.

MAGI 30 minutes ago wrote:In all honesty, that was laughable. :lol: But there's always a reason for that that isn't you. Basically, since I've gotten used to the other VAs, it was strange listening to you.
Actually, the first thought I had when I heard you was "Wow! This guy almost sounds exactly like me!" Which was uncanny, since no-one ever sounded like me. However, the difference was that mine is more boyish in quality, and your's was more flexible. I, myself, wouldn't mind trying out for being an VA, though my own voice most definitely won't let me.
Anyway, you were very good at imitating the formers. The problem, I think, was miscast. I also want to quickly comment on how weird Kaworu sounded. *muffled giggles* I can't explain it... However, I must say, you were very good at getting into character and altering your voice. What I'd like to see is more original work from you.
ココにいても、いいの?
Is it okay for me to be here?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:01 am

Aside from a few minor quality issues, it was a good sincere attempt.

I think the major issue is that it was too overly dramatic. The way you portrayed Shinji when he's talking to himself is the way Shinji would sound if he were talking to an audience, rather than himself, as is the case. There's a certain tone that Shinji ought to be speaking in, something a bit more mellow, a bit more defeated. You sound as if you're trying to hard to convey the way the character feels. Shinji's desperation about his situation needs to be toned down a notch. Rather than sounding as if he's pleading to someone to reveal the answer, he should sound as if hes confused and defeated internally.

And not to crush your dream or anything. The common misconception is the VAs are well paid. They aren't. Very few are actually able to do it for a living. I would like to lend a voice to a character, maybe in an American cartoon. But just for the experience, rather than money. And not dubbing an anime. I couldn't stand to pervert the artistic integrity of a work of art.

Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:06 am

Thanks for the critisism, I don't mind aslong as it's well thought out and helps me. Anyway, im gonning to be taking voice courses in a couple of months to improve and harness my performance.

My need to do voice work doesint stem from money at all, it's inspiration and a artistic yerning(anime was a inspiration to get into voice work for me). Ive been to auditions aswell as had some minor film work, but im mostly a new comer to the feild, I need to grow basicly.

Anyway, that Eva clip was one of my older works that I did almost a year ago. I keep improving so I'll post a new one in time.

Thanks.

Anyway, here's another clip. http://members.rogers.com/antichris/fear.wmv It's not as great an example of "acting" compared to the other one, but it does show a great deal of emotion. I know a lot of anime fans hate this particular anime, but just judge my performance, and not the show. :lol:

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:26 am

Here is my thought on the first clip

1. Your not far off Shinji's voice ( What I mean is that you are speaking the way he would , but the voice that you use is not bad for Shinji , I give it a 6.5/10)

2. Your voice for Kawrou is awful

3. Your timings are a bit off , well at the end of the scene

4. Dont become a singer ( just joking)

5. An all round good effort

Unforuntatley for me , I could only voice act adults in anime .

Keep on trying

The second clip is awful
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:56 am

Wow, tough crowd. :lol:

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:06 am

As long as you can improve, we won't say you suck. :) We're being realistic. Just keep going at it.
By the way, the second clip isn't working for me. :(
ココにいても、いいの?

Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:08 am

Sorry bout that, fixed it. Realisticly it probably isnt the best clip to try to show off my supposed talents, but take it as you will.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:20 am

Wow, you're pretty good at changing your voice. But... was that really you screaming? And why was there music cheesier that Magma Diver in that? I thought it was funny. :lol:
ココにいても、いいの?

Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:35 am

Yeah, that was me screaming. Heh, that's the origianl BGM of the series. It is rather old fashioned, but it has it's moments. :)

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:38 am

the-artist-known-as-chris wrote:ttp://members.rogers.com/antichris/song.wmv

Ok how the hell do you pronounce Kaworu's name; I always thought it was "kaow roo"? For the second one: Holy shit that music goes well with a Super Saijin powerup, especially one by Vegeta. :D
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:16 pm

There is some confusion stemming from the fact that his name was originally romanized as Kaoru, and then later Kaworu.

I'm a little confused with this myself.

Some say Kaoru as "Kao-Ru" or "Cow-Roo".

Some say Kaworu as "Ka-Wo-Ru".

I usually say something inbetween, as I believe Ka and Wo are supposed to be slurred together a bit. I'll have to break out my Japanese manga to check the hiragana pronunciation, so I know how it breaks up into Japanese mora.

As for the "fear" clip, I'd have to say that its not much better than the "song" clip, although the atmosphere of DBZ is more conducive for the performance you deliever. Take it as a good thing or bad thing. Depends on what sort of tone you want to do. Some stuff is much more serious than other stuff. But I think your performance was much more appropriate for the DBZ clip.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:25 pm

I just pronounce it the Japanese way (since I'm so skilled at pronouncing Japanese :P). The hiragana wo is almost never pronounced "woh" but usually just "oh" like the original roman script suggests. However, in Japanese, there is always a hint of the w in there.
So it would sound very similar to how Eva Monkey described it.
Maybe like "Kauoru" with the u only put in very subtly. I don't really know because I don't really think about it when I say it.

Just listen to it when Kaworu introduces himself. Repeat what he says. :P "Boku wa Kaworu. Nagisa Kaworu." "Boku wa Kaworu. Nagisa Kaworu." "Boku wa Kaworu. Nagisa Kaworu." "Boku wa Kaworu. Nagisa Kaworu." "Boku wa Kaworu. Nagisa Kaworu."

Chris, why don't you try to imitate that? In Japanese? That would be interesting. So long as you patch up on you Nagisa voice. :wink:
ココにいても、いいの?

Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:19 am

Heh, i'll try that out. Btw, what's so bad about my Kaworu voice? Like my Shinji voice, I was trying my best to capture the qualitys of the Japanese va's. I wasint tyring to imatate the english va's at all, which is why my Kaworu sounds much younger and higher pitched.

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:56 am

You think so? I thought it didn't sound very much like him. The voice sounded like a kid with dark eyes who spent a good deal of his childhood indoors and who's father is a (mad) scientist. He isn't a bad sort of person, but is really creepy to be with, and also has an other-worldy charisma attatched.
Don't you agree, peoples? :?:

As for the original Kaworu, I think you should bring out the youth in him. A strong-minded boy who had a good deal of enlightenment. He should speak out, not quietly when to others. Your voice felt like he was talking to someone close by, which either signals his distance from others or making him sound too intimate with Shinji. Either way, it doesn't capture the Kaworu that we know. Kaworu should also speak more faster, otherwise, it doesn't capture his intellect, and makes him sound intimidating or dumb, dispite the content of his words.
Why don't you record a few trail runs, each at a different angle, and we'll vote for which sounds best?
ココにいても、いいの?

Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:21 am

MAGI wrote:You think so? I thought it didn't sound very much like him. The voice sounded like a kid with dark eyes who spent a good deal of his childhood indoors and who's father is a (mad) scientist.

You are a very interesting person MAGI. :lol:

However your ideas of different ways to deliver the lines in enlighting, I shall give it a shot.

Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the-artist-known-as-chris » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:27 pm

Here's one of me doing Toji. My inspiration in doing his voice was a cross between his Japanese VA and the manga version. I absolutely love the accent they give him in the manga, it suits Toji so well.

http://members.rogers.com/antichris/panties1.wmv

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:35 pm

Maybe I'm easily impressed, but I loved your stuff.

In terms of a fan dub, it's pretty good.

Please, tell me how you do what you do!!!

A bunch of us at the AMHS anime society (an anime club I run out of our school) are trying to put together a couple of fan dubs of anime that hasn't been liscened yet.

Being the dumb clod that I am, I haven't the slightest clue how to make one.

Any instruction, guidance or tips you could give me and my friends would be greatly appriciated. PM me or just post on this thread.

Thanks again, your stuff is cool!
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:09 am

Yeah, Toji's isn't bad at all. :D Great work, a little off in the sync, but it's all good. It's a little hard to make out what you said, here and there, though, though it could just be the mic.
About Shinji, you should have made his tone a little more teasing when he goes "only a little". Also, Touji sounded a little weird when he says "really?" a little fast. But it's only a little thing. The rest isn't too bad.
ココにいても、いいの?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:09 am

i have to agree with Kiel..maybe the clips aren't perfect but they still are great..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Return to “Fan Works”