Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gilgamesh
Lilith

[con] tsubasacon

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:26 pm

The first anime convention ever in West Virginia is going on right now at the Civic Center in the capital city of Charleston. I went there with my mom since all of my friends couldn't take me (not enough room in the car). It was slightly embarrassing when she kept wanting to take pictures of various cosplayers, but other than that it was alright.

Other than watching some of a Lupin movie (I don't know which one, it was one with a giant duck that was running away from some battleships and then got caught on a submarine. Lupin was apparently after some dragon figurine or whatever), all I really did was buy stuff in the dealer room.

I bought a LOT of stuff.

An awesome 43"X31.5" Haibane Renmei wallscroll with Rakka holding a shopping bag and Kuu dropping a bag of fruits and vegetables behind her. Kuu's there too, next to Rakka.

The Haibane Renmei soundtrack! Wondering is such a great song!

A huge Teto plushie from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and one smaller Teto plushie. I guess I'll give that one away to somebody.

One worthless Eva Unit 02 figure. It just sits there and fires its weapon when you turn a knob and then press down on a switch. LAME. Man, I bet they make a ton of really crappy Eva toys over in Japan.

Some Neon Genesis Evangelion thing that I don't even know WTH it is. It says CELLU CLUB and has something that is kind of like a poster with Maya Ibuki on it.

The "Rei coming out of a swimming pool" poster.

A Serial Experiments Lain poster.

Another Rei poster.

An Evangelion poster with Rei, Shinji, and Misato.

I thought about buying a $10 Ritsuko Akagi figurine (come on, let's face it, she's pretty hot), but decided against it. INSTEAD I BOUGHT THAT STUPID FREAKING EVA UNIT 02 *regret*

Bah, if I hadn't bought that thing that I could have even bought the End of Evangelion soundtrack or the OST for the series. Stupid, stupid me. I don't know why the hell they didn't have any full action figures of any of the Evas.

There really wasn't much to it other than that. I was expecting it to be something much bigger, but no, there were only five small rooms with any activities in them.

Some guy who writes articles for Newtype-USA was there giving a talk to everybody. I listened for maybe ten or fifteen minutes before going upstairs to see what else there was to this convention.

They were supposed to show Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which I haven't seen yet (I've only read the manga), but that was coming on at 8:00-9:00 and my mom's eyes are too bad to be out driving at that time, so we didn't go.

Tiffany Grant who played Asuka in Eva was supposed to be there also, but we didn't have time to see her either. Argh! Just argh!

I actually met my friends over there. I had a wild misconception of what an anime convention was supposed to be like before I went in, so I thought that there would be so many people there that I wouldn't be able to pick them out of the crowd, but there really weren't too many folks around. I was there for maybe five minutes looking at all of the soundtracks before Ashli came up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. I think she and everybody else who came with her left a long time before we did.

It was alright. Nothing amazing, but it was alright.

Still somewhat sad that I couldn't see Tiffany Grant or watch Nausicaa...

Going to this anime convention was basically my birthday present. My 17th birthday is coming up on the 25th of November, Thanksgiving Day.
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:56 pm

Sounds like you had a good time.

Conventions are always fun^_^

I'd say you got a pretty good haul as well. I love haibane renmei as well, really want the soundtrack.

I'm going to a one-day con in Toronto on December 5th, mainly to pick up anime presents for my family and friends.

Oh yeah, I'm back!
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:49 pm

I take it this was your first con experience? Ah, you poor con-n00b, you.

Actually, I'm pretty new, too. XD But yes, the Dealer's Room just absolutely sucks the cash out of you and just... kills you. Anime Central is very close to me, so my friends and I are making an annual event out of it. It's amazingly fun.

Glad you had a relatively good time! ^_^ Let's see that Haibane merchandise!
Close your eyes and listen hard

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:47 am

Unforuntntely I am going to have to wait a whole year before another convention , my bloody exams made me miss this years one :x :x
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:31 am

Try living in Minnesota. The selection is few and far between. If I ever wanted to go to a good one, I would probably have to travel up to Canada, down to Chicago, or the east coast.

Welcome back Kiel. :wink: Am I fucked up or what :wink:. Oh, and if your sending the guys in the white coats, at least give my a three second head start. I like a good chase.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:53 am

Actually Hunter21, the men in white coats are still with me, I now live in a rubber room, I eat oatmeal, plus I wear a strait jacket, which means I have to type with either my chin or my tounge.

^^I think I'm getting pretty good at it.

Just kidding. I might mention how I'm really doing in my next thread.

...Which should be the next chance the men in white coats let me use their laptop...stupid dail-up! ^_^;;
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:55 pm

If I run really fast and jump at the walls in the rubber room, will I start bouncing off the walls and around the room like a bounce ball? I have always wanted to do this.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:48 pm

Hunter21 wrote:If I run really fast and jump at the walls in the rubber room, will I start bouncing off the walls and around the room like a bounce ball? I have always wanted to do this.

I hate to go off topic , but I have to say this

" I thought I was mad , reading your post makes me relize how sane I am "

There I got it out

Oh... no ... , The are men coming for me , in white coats , ahahahaha

*run's away*

:P

Anyway , I have to wait another year before another convetion comes to town :cry:

Oh well , I will have to wait , and hope the wait is worth it
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:12 pm

You have no idea Timesplitter 01 how "mad" I really am, but you might one day with a combination of me having enough guts+EvaFics says yes+I figure out how to actually upload a story. Back to my bouncing around idea, I have now designed and will someday build a trampoline set up, in which there is one trampoline on the bottom, four around the sides of the bottom trampoline and one trampoline on the top. All I need now is the money to build the frame, and buy the trampolines. And I think I may actually be serious about this. :shock:

And to stay semi-on topic, does anyone else have the problem of having a anime convention held in a hotel that could easily be put into one of the smaller rooms of a real convention center?

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

Re: Just Got Back From An Anime Convention In Charleston, WV

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:39 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:A huge Teto plushie from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and one smaller Teto plushie. I guess I'll give that one away to somebody.

Please Give To MEEEEEEEEEEE. I didnt know there were anyother fans of Nausicaa...alive that is lol
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Gilgamesh
Lilith

Re: Just Got Back From An Anime Convention In Charleston, WV

•      
  •      

Postby Gilgamesh » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:01 pm

Dark FireStar wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:A huge Teto plushie from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and one smaller Teto plushie. I guess I'll give that one away to somebody.

Please Give To MEEEEEEEEEEE. I didnt know there were anyother fans of Nausicaa...alive that is lol

I'll tell you what...if, in a few months, I can't find anyone who I personally know who would want this Teto plushie, I might just send it your way. Maybe. Then again I might not. But I could.
A person...is a shadow which we can never penetrate, of which there can be no such thing as direct knowledge, with respect to which we form countless beliefs, based upon words and sometimes actions, neither of which can give us anything but inadequate and as it proves contradictory information-a shadow behind which we can alternately imagine, with equal justification, that there burns the flame of hatred and of love.
-Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby Dark FireStar » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:42 pm

Thanks ^o^
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

Return to “Anime and Manga”