Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

My Anime List

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:42 pm

A few months back, on an insistence from a friend, I decided to move my anime ratings list from ANN to My Anime List. I didn't really care about the clubs or the "keep track of the number of times you've re-watched <insert>" or the "keep track of what you're watching and what you've dropped or have on hold", nor the comments or profiles. But one thing I DID find worth spending the 5 or 6 hours importing the list is the compatibility rating between you and another user there. It's based on the shows you've seen and how much you liked them, and a rating is giving between your list and someone elses.

This helps me out a lot when looking for new shows to watch. Because I can read recommendation threads, and see that a bunch of people like a show, but I end up hating it. Or I can use ANN (my previous route for new anime) and compare my list and ratings with someone else's by hand, which usually leads to good results but is time consuming with long lists. Now, I can look at a show I liked, look at someone else who liked it, check the compatibility, and look at their list to find a new show to watch. And/Or, I can read recommendations for a show I am thinking about watching, and check the compatibility rating between my list and the list of the users recommending the show. Useful stuff.

So, if any of you are interested, make a list (mine's still incomplete, since I'm not going to remember every show that I've watched), go to my profile and click on the EGF club and add yourself. This way our libraries can be combined. And it'll be easy to look at each others lists for your next anime watch/purchase.
Last edited by Ornette on Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:45 pm

I concur with our fearless leader, Ornette. Everyone should join. Much fun will be had. I guarantee it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:47 pm

BrikHaus wrote:I concur with our fearless leader, Ornette. Everyone should join. Much fun will be had. I guarantee it.

I'm in...
I won.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:41 am

I've found /a/ quite useful in getting recommendations -- you just have to filter the discussions appropriately. For my part, this usually means looking for the titles that hardly get talked about and often have little to no fansub support early on.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:47 am

I'm in.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:05 am

I use anidb's mylist. When looking for new shows, either from the calendar or the anime list, I might check out user ratings and reviews. But not that often. Neither I use the "Similar animé" function in anidb, although I suppose it might be a good way to get new shows of interest. ANN sucks big, I got to hate them. Anidb is the way to go.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Already have an account at MAL. Now if I could just get off my lazy ass and take inventory of which anime I own so I can create an updated list.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:33 am

Come join the egf group that got started and see how compatable anime wise you are with the other members.

And here is my current list. It's incomplete as of right now and is missing about the last year and a half worth of anime that I bought.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:39 pm

Hunter21 wrote:Come join the egf group that got started and see how compatable anime wise you are with the other members.

Things like my overlap with Zuggy including a good dose of what was easily available on DVD over here in the days before torrents, you mean :D Or that everyone there that I've match against agrees on NGE rating 10/10 :shifty: Or that I have at best a 30% overlap in completed titles for everyone but Ornette and even there have a low correlation of scores.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:49 pm

I've signed up with the EGF group, it's pretty neat for finding titles you've never heard of before.

I love you Ornette.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Zugzwang wrote:it's pretty neat for finding titles you've never heard of before.

I still find /a/ more useful in that respect. MAL, for me, is more about seeing quite how widely tastes vary (or perhaps that other people haven't found sources for info on some of the more awesome titles out there).

Also ... Ornette ... :butthead: :beavis:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:10 pm

What Beavis and Butthead said. ^_^

Anyway, I too have caved into the joys of MAL, though my list is VERY incomplete at the moment.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Okey dokey, I'm all signed up, and it's already paying off. While skimming through the massive lists of shows, I discovered that sequels have been announced for Kiddy Grade and Gunslinger Girl; two very good franchises.

So hurray for MAL!:w00:

http://myanimelist.net/profile/TriLinK
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:46 pm

TriLink wrote:sequels have been announced for Kiddy Grade and Gunslinger Girl;

slowpoke.tiff

This is what I see as the problem with MAL -- it's almost entirely reactive, so has a high latency for news.

GSG2 : Il Teatrino is currently airing, and Triad have subbed 1-5. It's a bit moe-moe compared with the first season, and less painstaking about the guns and gunfighting, though, or so I read.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:31 pm

Well, you have to go to other sources for what's up in store for next season. A4 is actually a pretty good source for a listing of shows in the upcoming season. And a quick pop to fansub wiki (http://fansubwiki.com/Who_Subs_What:_WINTER_2008 ) gives you an idea of who's going to be subbing what.

I don't think MAL is very good for any of the shows that started airing in any current season. Not enough people have seen it to give a solid recommendation. But it's great for a show that's either finished airing or have been around for ages but nobody's ever heard of it.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:53 pm

Make sure to join the We HATE Neon Genesis Evangelion club on M.A.L.

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=2393

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:57 pm

"NGE is pure emo"

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sun May 11, 2008 7:36 am

Made some new posts and uploaded more pictures to the Eva hateclub - http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=2393

Needs more members from evageeks to join!

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Sun May 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Zuggy wrote:the Eva hateclub

wall post in eva hateclub wrote:overrated, seriously. I love my giant robots... but this show just blew butt chunks. The multiple retellings [of the end] made me want to kill everyone.

serious business.

Return to “Anime and Manga”