The "Sequel Theory" Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
V
Banned

The "Sequel Theory" Thread (Now With Spoilers)

Postby V » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:32 pm

Behold! The "Sequel Theory" thread everyone wanted but never created for some reason. If you are unfamiliar with the "sequel theory" stuff, it's a suggestion that originated with the first audience impressions of the movie and refuses to go away. Kind of like fem-Kaworu, but even more annoying. Try to keep the "sequel theory" banter here. Please. Thanks.

This starts off with a messy split from the "Moon Giant" thread (and includes various other splits). Ornette's post couldn't be split out, so copy-pasting it into V's. -Reichu

Ornette
Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:07 am

Phantom_Blitz wrote:(Considering REbuild is a sequel and not a remake)

This isn't 100%. Although there are bits and pieces that make it seem like these events all happened after EoE, we won't really know until the conclusion, or if it is made REALLY obvious this is a sequel in 2.0.

V

here's a thought:

the only "Angelic" material left on Earth post-Third Impact was the DEAD Rei/Lilith/Adam hyper-being?....

....but, there were originally planned to be 12 Mass Production Evas. They only had 9 finished ones, so thats what they threw at Nerv HQ.

....but just exactly how "unfinished" were the other three? "we never actually started them"....or...."we actually grew three Adam-clones but they weren't "mature" enough, not fully grown enough to use as finished MP Evas.

And what of the original Eva 05 and Eva 06 which were apparently scrapped when the Mass Production Eva Series' construction began?

The failed Eva Prototypes, Simulation bodies, and Eva 00 are vaporized. Eva 01 is in space. Technically the wreck of Eva 02 was still on Earth (as opposed to the totally vaporized Eva 00) but I think the explosion of the MP Evas pre-3I took out the immediate area of Japan, Eva 02's corpse included.

but what if one of those three Mass Production Evas which were "unfinished", was built in a secret moon-base of some kind?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:50 pm

NO, CAUSE THEY WOUDLN'T HAVE MADE SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO RECOVER THE SPEAR

happy NAveryW?
Last edited by Anonymous_Evafan on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 am

The bold answer doesn't go with the bold question, you know...
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:26 am

I'll edit it just for you.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:51 am

This is more like the Halo speculation at the Halo Story Page than anything else: wild, loony and utterly lacking in meaning. This is all pointless.

Mass Production Evangelions, conspiracy, MPEs, conspiracy...

I'm taking the "Rebuild picks off from where old Evangelion ended, and the whole thing was reset to when Shinji came to Tokyo-3" with a huge grain of salt.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:33 am

I wouldn't put it past Anno to do it but I'm not jumping on that bandwagon just yet.

Rave_Epic
Embryo

Postby Rave_Epic » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:41 pm

It better not be a sequel.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:08 pm

Anything is possible. The Moon Giant could be the emaciated corpse of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, it could be the love-child of Andy Dick and Eartha Kitt, it would Steve Job's next step in the "iDomination" of Earth, or it could Nuck Chorris in embryonic form. Rebuild could be a sequel, it could all be Shinji's delusion as he's on the beach at the end of EoE, it could be an entirely new work, it could be the a computer simulation implanted into Bob Saget's head to keep him from realizing his destructive power, or it could be a really long Pizza Hut commerical a la Darker than BLACK.

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:48 pm

chee wrote:or it could Chuck Norris in embryonic form.

chuck norris in embryonic form

chuck norris

You have just saved Eva from the pit of derivative squalor. Thank you.
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:30 am

chee wrote:Anything is possible. The Moon Giant could be the emaciated corpse of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, it could be the love-child of Andy Dick and Eartha Kitt, it would Steve Job's next step in the "iDomination" of Earth, or it could Nuck Chorris in embryonic form. Rebuild could be a sequel, it could all be Shinji's delusion as he's on the beach at the end of EoE, it could be an entirely new work, it could be the a computer simulation implanted into Bob Saget's head to keep him from realizing his destructive power, or it could be a really long Pizza Hut commerical a la Darker than BLACK.

Anything is possible, but only very very few are probable, none of those even comes remotely close to that domain.
Last edited by Ornette on Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:57 am

Re build is a sequel. Here's what happened:
Yui somehow, over several thousand years of floating all alone in outer space, somehow obtained god powers. She decided she would would go back in time, but lacked the ability to do that, so she accidently recreated the earth and everything exactly as she remembered it.
However, since it's been several thousand years, her memory has gotten a bit muddled.

THis is all just a delusion made real by the powers of a god that didn't truly fully realize she had them.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:25 pm

So now Yui's delusional? Personally, I thought it was obvious she obtained God-like powers once she used the Spear to set things right....

If Rebuild IS indeed a sequel to the series/EoE, I'm putting my money on Lilith somehow having a hand on it, or one of those "Rebuild's just a dream" endings. (Would be lame in a sense, but I wouldn't put it past Anno to give it a classic mindfuck trait.)

As long as it's not a carbon-copy of Re-Take. I like that, but please no (Doujinshi should stay as doujinshi). -_-
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

Postby V » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:14 pm

what if Rebuild, in its entirety, is just another Instrumentality or pre-3I fever-dream?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:04 pm

Reminder: Every time the "Neverending Story" hypothesis (or something even remotely similar) is mentioned, the Eva 1.0 DVD release is delayed. (Once 1.0 is out, replace <1.0> with subsequent installment's number.)
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:10 pm

@Ornette: Of course most of those aren't probable. My point is that we have so little information that anything we come up with is mere speculation with barely anything to back it up.

So here is my own futile, groundless speculation:

Rebuild is a sequel, and the explanation as to how it is a sequel will most likely involve something we won't see coming at all. Or, it will somehow involve Shinji. Shinji = Anno, afterall.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:29 pm

chee wrote:Rebuild is a sequel, and the explanation as to how it is a sequel will most likely involve something we won't see coming at all. Or, it will somehow involve Shinji. Shinji = Anno, afterall.

Congratulations. You just delayed the DVD release. I hate you.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:37 pm

I don't like Neverending Story at all, but I do think that Rebuild is a sequel. There's too many things there to make it a retelling. Kaworu on the ****ing moon and his dialogue, the moon having GNR's bloodstain, red oceans, stuff like that.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:07 pm

I'm using "Neverending Story" as a sardonic way of referring to the idea that Webuild somehow occurs in the same continuity as the original. (I forget how the eponymous book used the phrase, though. Haven't read it in ages.)

So, remember. Every time you help propagate this idea before we really know anything, you are committing a grave sin and you should be ashamed of yourself. If it ends up being true, you can laugh at me later. But this is rumor control -- remember the facts.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:32 pm

OK, I understand. BUT: I'd be interested to hear your reasoning on why the seas are red and why there's a bloodstain on the moon, as well as Kaworu-kun being on the moon, and all the meaningless aesthetic changes like Lilith's mask.

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:41 pm

It looks cool.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”