TV Series Ending Vs. End of Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Vampire Killer
Embryo

TV Series Ending Vs. End of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Vampire Killer » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:48 am

Personally, I would choose... Let me think. The TV Series ending was a happy ending but it's all talk. I find the End of Evangelion very entertaining, it felt like this movie really saved the best for last even though it wasn't really all happy. As a replacement of the Evangelion final episodes, the movie has become my new favorite episode of the series and as a movie, it is the best I've seen since Akira. I seem to like the End of Evangelion as the better conclusion to Evangelion.

Which do you think was a better conclusion?

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:43 am

The TV ending was far better for me.

E.O.E. was good for a few things - naked Rei, Asuka rampage, stuff blowing up, naked Rei, and just overall how pretty it is - but I didn't feel engaged in what was happening in E.O.E., whereas I did feel engaged in last two episodes of the TV series.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:57 am

The SSD summon spell has been cast. She'll let you know all about how the two endings are one and the same. The TV version being all inside Shinji's head, and the movie version being the events that transpired in real life. Oh, I guess I kind of did it for her.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:31 pm

Word, and I'll agree with SSD completely too. I always considered the endings to compliment one another and happen around the same time. I'm a firm believer that you can basically watch EoE to a point, stop it, start Eps 25 and 26, then resume EoE and have them work with one another perfectly.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:49 pm

I could swear there's a thread or ten on this already
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:21 pm

They have their good points and bad points.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:26 pm

I really like EoTV as it is, but I think I really would have been quite annoyed with it if EoE didn't wrap up the loose ends and explain what actually happened in the "outside" world.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:11 pm

EoTV was great
It was the reason I got hooked on Eva
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

jenova7
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby jenova7 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:12 pm

i like both, but EoE gave me far more satisfaction at the end

Semisubtle
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Semisubtle » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:31 pm

I prefer EoE. While the TV ending may have revealed a bit more about the characters themselves, I prefer a more concise ending than it provided.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:41 pm

EoE sorta defines epic, altho the not-as-diffuse introspection found in the other is not to be shunned.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:44 pm

I like both endings, it's hard for me to choose. ^_^;

Also: What Brik and Fading said.

I know that there are some ways EoTV being mental and EoE being physical supposedly can't work out, but I think it can. *shrugs*

eg, the first half of 25 is meant to explain the character's mental states during 25' and 26' until Instrumentality begins and all that. Then the 2nd half of 25 and all of 26 are actually during Instrumentality, explaining Shinji's decision as well as the way his world his viewed/all that stuff.

I'll find the other stuff I've said on this and provide a link to it sometime later.

Anyway, I personally don't think it was a mistake that the LDs of Evangelion had 25 and video version 25' on one LD with 26 and video version 26' on the final one. ;)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:24 am

EoE, definately. EoTV accomplished nothing other than to explore the characters a little; EoE is far and away a better ending.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:34 am

What about this- the "Omedeto" ending happens long after Kimochi Warui, by which time everyone's returned to the Earth? Or better, "Omedetou" happens at the end of Rebuild? :twisted:

More seriously, you need the End of TV to understand certain pertinent facts about the characters. If EoE has a problem, it's that so much of what happens needs to be interpreted out of obscure dialogue and visual motifs, and the dividing line between pertinent imagery and pointless religious symbolism gets blurred. I'm not saying that the endings are the same, but I do say they are interlinked, and one ending is incomplete without the other.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:41 am

In Ep26 (and 25 too), you do not know where it is in the Eva timeline, although it is pretty obvious that it is somewhere during and after the Third Impact

I think I like the EoE ending for now, because we have yet to find out exactly where the Omedeto Ending fits in the Evangelion Timeline. Good call, Ursus!
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

maverick21
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby maverick21 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:46 am

When I first watched Evangelion I was warned by the friend who recommended it that the last two episodes were trip-fests, and that they were. One of the reasons I love Evangelion so much is because it is really different from anything I have ever seen, and the last two episodes sure as hell are also. The upbeat ending and the way they changed focus onto the viewer was genius, but still at the end it left me saying, "thats the ending?, they didn't go out with a bang at all" I'm really glad they made End of Eva because in my opinion, not only is it great in conjunction with the last original two episodes, but also it has the most epic and amazing giant robot battle ever.

Its a hard decision, but I'm gonna have to go with EoE.

P.S. - You guys should make a poll for this topic.

Vampire Killer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Vampire Killer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:56 am

P.S. - You guys should make a poll for this topic.

I tried to but I had some problems.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:00 am

Polls are disabled across the forum. Read the rules.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Moose
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Moose » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:19 am

I prefer EoTV. EoE explains the whole thing better, but it has the disadvantage of being very depressing. EoTV allows you to draw your own conclusions about what happens, and for me, it's a happier ending.
"Do y'reckon maybe girls keep their balls on the inside of their tummies?" - Leopold 'Butters' Stoch

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Skullraper » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:36 pm

I prefer EoE. The Ritsuko/Gendou scene alone is reason enough to prefer EoE. The series couldn’t have ended more perfectly. Also, I don’t find EoE to be depressing (although it’s certainly disturbing).

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”