EvaGeeks Forum Rules & Regulations

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Markal
Embryo

Re: EvaGeeks Forum Rules & Regulations

•      
  •      

Postby Markal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Clicking on the "Forum Rules" link in the User Control Panel elicited a weird message from my browser about missing security certifications. Is this safe to ignore?
"It is nothing to die, it is horrible not to live." - Jean Valjean

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Yeah, it's fine. Just go through the hoop of creating your own certificate in the 'advanced' option that pops up and it shouldn't show up again.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:24 pm

Reminder for users on mobile devices: section 2.4 of the rules asks you to post in a form we can actually read. If autocorrect renders your sentences nonsensical, please turn it off or fix its foul-ups before submitting your post.

Shamsiel-kun
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:28 am

I would like to seek a clarification as to what is considered as unacceptable comments on each others' (posting) habits, as per the Mod action described in this post plus Paul's and my own comments following it.

Because if advice to other posters is illegal, then we can as well shut down a large number of threads in the OT forum...
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:34 pm

Turning a discussion about the site as a whole into an extended tangent on one guy was both off-topic and threatening to become the sort of dogpiling problem that had been mentioned before. Also he didn't ask for advice, and you aren't in a position to arbitrarily hand it out on behalf of the board.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:08 pm

I would think the topic of being intentionally vague and its effects on communication is a valid topic for discussion, though, particularly in that thread.

Also, it would be helpful if people understood the difference between dogpiling and widespread disagreement. If you say something stupid and/or offensive and multiple people comment on it, that's not a dogpile. That's a stupid and/or offensive statement getting its natural response. It's only a dogpile when people are intentionally kicking the original poster when he's down, in an effort to silence or humiliate him. And yes, that's a bad thing, no matter the topic at hand. But extending use of the term to include multiple people expressing polite disagreement is misleading at best, and downright disingenuous at worst.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

DarkBluePhoenix
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:53 pm

Dogpiling is generally done to a statement that people disagree with in order to force the person to not respond by inundating them with so many points to contend with the discussion is buried before it began, or in an attempt to respond they end up omnislashing multiple posts to back up their statement, which is against forum rules if I'm not mistaken.

In the SD forum where this happened often, it was generally done as a silencing tactic rather than anything to do with polite conversation, which is (partly or in large part) what led to SD being closed. Calling it anything else is disingenuous at its best and worst.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:57 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:
In the SD forum where this happened often, it was generally done as a silencing tactic rather than anything to do with polite conversation,

I never posted in SD except to inquire as to someone's point of view, attempt to change their mind, or illuminate spectators who read without participating.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:15 pm

The feedback thread is not an invitation to continue a graveyarded tangent, guys. Like it or not, an answer was given.

I mean we also generally frown on people obstinately continuing conversation threads that have been intentionally locked or purged, so don't push it.

Return to “Evageeks.org News and Feedback”