EvaGeeks Forum Rules & Regulations

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri May 02, 2014 11:50 am

Well, all of the contents have their own number in the heading (e.g. 0. Don't be a Jerk). If that were removed, each section would naturally have a number in the contents list. However, assuming that you want to keep the number in the heading for each section when you scroll down, I don't know.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri May 02, 2014 12:52 pm

We could just replace the numerals with "Zeroth Rule", "First Rule", "Second Rule" and so on.

Okay, I've done that, and I put the Zeroth Rule in red to emphasize its supreme importance. If this is no good, you could just revert it to the previous arrangement.
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Fri May 02, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri May 02, 2014 12:54 pm

If we wanted to keep numbers, we could just type "Rule One", "Rule Two", and so on. I feel it looks a little more natural than "First Rule", "Second Rule".

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri May 02, 2014 12:59 pm

I thought about "Rule One", "Rule Two" and so on at first, but when it came to "Rule Zero", I thought of the "Zeroth Law" concepts used in places, like how there's a Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics, and so named it "Zeroth Rule" accordingly.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri May 02, 2014 1:01 pm

I'd rather the numbers just went away in that case.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri May 02, 2014 1:02 pm

^ I agree with you on not writing rule zero. It reads quite well (and looks good in red. Can I get your number, Zeroth rule?) I still feel that Rule One seems better than First Rule, but I don't have any strong feelings about changing it one way or the other.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri May 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Why not change the rule numbers to "Rule 01", "Rule 02" etc.? ^_^

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri May 02, 2014 1:07 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:(and looks good in red. Can I get your number, Zeroth rule?)

:rofl:

Dataprime wrote:Why not change the rule numbers to "Rule 01", "Rule 02" etc.?

That's a good one! :lol: Anyway, I've removed the number headings for all the other rules.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri May 02, 2014 1:09 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:I've removed the number headings for all the other rules.

This actually looks really, really good. I like this a lot.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:52 am

What with recent episodes of /v/ leaking its latest faGGotry, it seems that people could use a reminder that the "Las Vegas" rule

"What happens elsewhere should stay elsewhere."

is intended generally. We can generate enough drama locally, we do not need to import it from other parts of the internet.

The bulleted sub-points on the rule are to make it clear that EGF peripheral places like the IRC are also included as "elsewhere"
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:09 am

Ok I get the message about that can of worms. It should have been pinned so that anyone knows.

You admins make major rule changes, it better also be mass PM'd so that we get the message immediately.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:53 pm

While I'm not sure if it applied to the GG situation, I do like the idea of mass PMs to address rule changes/implementations, eg. when the Shin spoiler rules explicitly kick into effect.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:06 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Ok I get the message about that can of worms. It should have been pinned so that anyone knows.
We want the whole thing to just go away, so the last thing we would do is make ourselves obvious by plastering it in big announcements.

Yeah, this is the only bit of shit-flinging internet drama that has impinged upon the forum in its decade of existence, so it didn't seem necessary to go to full emergency stations in response.

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:when the Shin spoiler rules explicitly kick into effect.
When the first showing starts in Japan, so there is actual spoilery info in existence -- just like with all the other movies. It's not something we had a problem about the last couple of times, so I don't see why it'll be any different this time around.

And you can't pre-emptively PM the people who join after the movie is out.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Don't all new users automatically get a PM from Ornette? Why not add a note about the spoiler policy when Shin starts coming out?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:05 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Don't all new users automatically get a PM from Ornette? Why not add a note about the spoiler policy when Shin starts coming out?

The majority of those PMs are left unread in my Outbox.

Speaking of which, the only reason my name is attached to those PMs is because you can't send a PM without a sender user ID, so I used mine. Now that we have this DMYSYS fellow, I could just change it so those PMs are sent from that account. With a note that the account is unmonitored and any replies should be sent to staff.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:21 pm

Not a bad idea.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Not a bad idea, although we should change the title to something like "administrative bot" in that case. New users would probably find it a little creepy to get a welcome message from an "automated ban-bot".

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Titles don't show up in messages, but I do see where you're going with the idea.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:00 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Not a bad idea, although we should change the title to something like "administrative bot" in that case. New users would probably find it a little creepy to get a welcome message from an "automated ban-bot".

"Caspar" or "Gaspar" sounds better than "bot".

We want the whole thing to just go away, so the last thing we would do is make ourselves obvious by plastering it in big announcements.

I'm not aware that even a mere mention of it causes widespread harm; I merely express my disgust with that devolution, but now you don't want it known, I'll call it the Can of Worms.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:54 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:the Can of Worms.
There's a word filter in place already.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”