EvaGeeks Forum Rules & Regulations

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:00 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:And to turn that around: What is the point of writing some long paragraph in which your intent might be muddled by words and akward phrasing when an image encapsulates your feelings perfectly?

Dealing with words is what we do here. We're not an image board, where people react to each other with images and cliches. We engage in writing and reading. Emoticons are supplied to help make intent clearer.

Another thing to consider: we prefer that threads can be revisited years later and still make overall sense. Reaction images aren't archived locally, so what happens if a link breaks for whatever reason? Posts cease to make sense, all because somebody couldn't just put their thoughts into words.

Also, I have no idea why a "long paragraph" would be necessary to express the sort of thing that people use reaction images for. Usually, the content of the image can be summarized as, "I find this humorous", "I can't believe something like this was posted", "I find your argument unconvincing", and so forth.

And no, i don't think it's really necessary to "tailor" some image for the specific discussion of the thread.

Of course it isn't "necessary". But the results can be quite a bit more entertaining than something regurgitated from 4chan or tumblr.

Overall, my take on the matter is very ambivalent. Part of me wants to say that it's okay to use them, but only in extreme moderation, and never to "say" something that you know you couldn't get away with writing. (A good number of reaction images serve no function other than to visually demean.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Well i don't know, personally i think you're letting your dislike of 4chan/tumblr/internet vapidness to tint your perception of images a bit more than you should, but aside from that you do have good points in the matters of archive.

I just get the feeling that what really bothers you and others about reaction images is an issue behind/beyond the whole reaction image issue.
Last edited by Dream on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:50 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Of course it isn't "necessary". But the results can be quite a bit more entertaining than something regurgitated from 4chan or tumblr.

/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:55 pm

I can't even decide if that's meant to support or rebut the point.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:59 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I can't even decide if that's meant to support or rebut the point.

It sure isn't helping mine -o-;
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:19 pm

I'm actually cool with the whole "no reaction image only replies" rule. I mean, on their own reaction images don't say much. They convey your emotions on the matter, and from that one can try and extrapolate your thoughts, but as a means of discourse they're inadequate. I mean, I can post "Laughing Evangelions.jpg" all I want but the viewer will never know for sure whether I find what he said actually funny, or whether I find it so stupid it's funny, or whether I find the inevitable punishment that's incoming for saying it funny...

Generally speaking where reaction images excel, in a conversation, is when they're used in tandem with actual words. There's a reason reaction images almost always have faces in them (hell most are closeups on faces): they're meant to convey emotion, something that is quickly lost in text. They're basically emotes, but more customizable, and in my opinion funnier.

As an example, while it's not the funniest usage I think a good way to use a reaction image is like I did in my Madoka 3 review. Here I wrote my overall thoughts on the film, a decent sized post if I do say so myself, and then topped it off with an image that portrayed the anger I was experiencing.

Incidentally, I think the catch 22 of reaction images is that they're funniest when they speak for themselves. A short post with a reaction image can be quite funny. A long detailed post like mine above with one typically isn't as funny. I'd posit that's because the more you write the more redundant a reaction image becomes, like a joke that goes on too long.

So uh.. I'm cool with no "reaction image only" replies, but I'm also cool with reaction images used in tandem with actual substance posts (IE in Xard's anime reviews posts).
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:38 pm

The point is, as in all things, discretion and moderation. It's not that we don't expect people to use them AT ALL, especially with the crossover from 4ch, tumblr, and cetera; we just don't want discussion to be as it is in those places. We've always said once in a while for comedic effect is just fine. The use of reaction faces in response to others' posts, or posting macros all over the moonwalk threads are the places we've had the most issue. Tines' reminder was in response to just the former. No need to get all worried about it. The staff will let you know if there's a problem with something.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Remove reaction images and you'll never know what kinda face good ol' June is making behind the monitor, including now cause this is how my face looks at this very minute.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu May 01, 2014 9:29 pm

The forum rules have been overhauled into a more streamlined form. Nothing has really changed in terms of what we expect from users, but everyone should go and check them out just as a refresher... or for the first time in some of your cases. :tsk:

There are only 10 rules, with a 'rule 0' in place as general guiding principle and to cover anything the others might have missed. Everything else listed are merely guidelines, which may be altered as circumstances warrant. The rules have been intentionally left open to interpretation to put the focus on the spirit of the rules, not negotiating a sea of technicalities.

Questions? Comments? Leave them here.
Last edited by NemZ on Thu May 01, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 01, 2014 9:37 pm

I like it. Some of the mechanics of the page could be changed, but that's just my opinion and is purely subjective. Nice work.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu May 01, 2014 9:59 pm

If you are temporarily banned, attempting to circumvent it will in a permanent ban.

Someone accidentally a word
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu May 01, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks for spotting that, TMB. Fixed.

Nuke - what exactly do you think could be better? Is it the layout or the wording?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Totally subjective  SPOILER: Show
The layout. Some of the bullets should be indented further in than the others, since they're continuations of earlier points. I'd do it myself if I had permission/the clearance. Some of the wording isn't how I would phrase it, but I'm not the one that drew it up and I give license to the higher-ups.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu May 01, 2014 11:11 pm

Ursus and I put the adjusted rules on the wiki (as well as making sure it worked properly with the mediawiki software). From what I read up on, there's only so much you can do about the bullet points because of mediawiki software.

We'll look into it though.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 01, 2014 11:16 pm

It's possible to mess with the bullets by using multiple asterisks- that sort of thing is even in the mediawiki boot camp. Something like this:

*Thing A
**Subset of A
*Thing B
**Subset of Thing B
***Extra subset of Thing B

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu May 01, 2014 11:16 pm

I get what you're saying, Nukealicious, but the idea is to have a the rules be more simplistic with simpler and more succinct elaborations. The old rules had that problem of too many bullet points and subpoints.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu May 01, 2014 11:17 pm

Fair enough. I'll let it rest. :lol:

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu May 01, 2014 11:41 pm

I'm in agreement with Zap. We don't really need any subpoints, and to create more subpoints would be to reintroduce bloatedness and verbosity.

Errors and omissions aside, I think the wording is all right for now. Tell me if you spot anything that's blatantly wrong or nonsensical.

SSD
- I tweaked the spacing a little more. Does it look any better this way?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu May 01, 2014 11:56 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:SSD - I tweaked the spacing a little more. Does it look any better this way?

Yeah, it does. :nod:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri May 02, 2014 10:09 am

I like that the 'contents' box already holds everything people actually NEED to read. Everything else is just details.

Is it possible to change how that box displays the list so that it's "2.01" rather than "2.1" so that the text lines up cleaner? Not sure if that's an automated arrangement or not.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”