EvaGeeks Forum Rules & Regulations

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

EvaGeeks Forum Rules & Regulations

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:02 am

Rules and regulations for EGF have finally been compiled, with a handy link added to the navbar (courtesy of Ornette). Hopefully they cover all the bases, but I might have forgotten something.

Everyone, even oldtimers, should take the time to read through the document.

I expect those who haven't been "up to standards" to shape up. This includes (among others) chronic violators of the language, quoting, and double-posting guidelines, along with another precautionary word against the behavior-related problems that have plagued the forum recently. Also take note of the all-new "red text" policy and modify your signatures / posting habits accordingly.
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:25 am

I hope my new signature is up to specs. Plus I hope we're still allowed to say "frell" and stuff, otherwise I'm a son of a harpooda...
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: EvaGeeks Forum Rules & Regulations

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:30 am

Reichu wrote: Also take note of the all-new "red text" policy and modify your signatures / posting habits accordingly.

*glances at rules*

No offense, but this is extreme.

But if you really have your Icy Administrator hearts set on it, at least let us use it in our sigs. The posts I can understand (I guess), but sigs?
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:47 am

Actually, there rules work pretty well with me. They're pretty much guidelines for generic posting anyway. Expect deviations tho, noone's gonna learn and follow those compulsively. A messageboard is still supposed to be a community, right?
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

V
Banned

Re: EvaGeeks Forum Rules & Regulations

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:19 pm

TriLink wrote:
Reichu wrote: Also take note of the all-new "red text" policy and modify your signatures / posting habits accordingly.

*glances at rules*

No offense, but this is extreme.

But if you really have your Icy Administrator hearts set on it, at least let us use it in our sigs. The posts I can understand (I guess), but sigs?

Reichu is just trying to make the forum a nice place for everyone
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:47 pm

the rules don't seem to be that much different from what was on EMF

the overall "THIS TIME I MEAN IT"(I'd use red for the color, but hey, it's prolly against DA RULES; and, then again, this font size change may not be "legal" either *shrugs*)/iron-handed approach seems to be the difference

I have to say that I am torn about this, though

while it is clear that some of the 16-year-old girls and 14-year-old boys have behaved pretty darn obnoxiously by differing ways and degrees, I am not certain if this is the best way to combat it

it seems like "everyone" is getting punished for this when it's only a half dozen or so rugrats that should be getting the brunt of it

that's my opinion, anyways

maybe making this an "adults only/under 18 not admitted" would be better?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

fadingreminder
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby fadingreminder » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:08 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:maybe making this an "adults only/under 18 not admitted" would be better?
I got into Evangelion when I was 14, so I've gotta say I don't think that's very fair. I would've loved to have had a community like this available to me when I first got into Eva.

I like the rules and I don't see it as we're all being punished. They really aren't all that different than what we have now, maybe a little more strict, but not horrible. I especially like how some of it taken on a "case by case basis." I can't imagine that Brik will start getting banned for being the Forum Asshole, he's kind've beloved for that. If a noob showed up and tried pulling the same things Brik does, they might get reprimanded, but that's because we know how to take Brik and we know he's a genuinely nice fellow. The problem with the internet is that there's no inflection with what you say, it's sometimes hard to tell if you're serious or joking. It's hard to tell if someone is poking fun or being a jerk when you don't know anything about them. New people to the board just need to know they should establish themselves before they start being too bold.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:01 pm

I don't think anyone is pointing fingers at you HAL or any of the other regulars, I think this is just trying to reign in the trolls'n'spammers.
Who is "Codename V"?....

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:08 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:maybe making this an "adults only/under 18 not admitted" would be better?

I dont like this
my account would be DELETED Im 16 on the dot
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:22 pm

@ age thing: It's not really the age we're concerned with, but the maturity (which, doesn't map evenly to age). Unfortuntely, there's no metric for maturity.

@ rules: Some of them may seem pretty sudden and heavy handed (maybe a bit of rewording might help that? dunno), but for me, the most important thing is having rules posted and being able to tweak them as the need arises (it's in the wiki). I've added an "I agree to follow the rules and guidelines" and a link the the rules in the registration agreement. This way, when new users (or even some older ones that aren't around a lot) put images in their sigs or random stuff like that, I can at least give them a link to the rules instead of saying "I know this isn't posted anywhere and there's no way for you to know but there is a rule that you can't do <insert>".

Since the rules are in the wiki, I'm sure feedback is welcome and tweaks can be made to accommodate everyone.

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Millions Livio » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:49 pm

Casual cursing should always be allowed. I mean, this is a forum for a show that has [giant] naked underage girls in it, lots of sexual themes, cursing, and is essentially a giant mindfuck. If some kids are causing trouble, get rid of them. I've learned over the years not to judge people by their age on forums, so the 18 or older thing isn't a good idea. Just kick the annoyances out, problem solved.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Do I swear too much? I sometimes think I do.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:24 pm

Meh, they were the types of rules I'd expect out of pretty much everyone. They're okay with me, except for the red text format.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:44 pm

The rules don't look like anything that was different from Aaron's site.

I'm okay with them, though I don't understand what image sigs can't be allowed provided it's a small size and linked via photobucket or some such thing.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:21 pm

Rules wrote:*A special exception is made for Japanese, due to ''Evangelion''’s status as a Japanese work. Many users have at least some degree of familiarity with the language, and some are in the process of actively learning it, so it feels natural to bat a ''little'' 日本語 around here and there. This should not be done to excess, however, and it is considered a general courtesy to provide a translation of what you are saying. All-out conversations in Japanese are to be restricted to relevant threads in the Off-Topic subforum.

This doesn't sound too good to me. The adjective "natural" makes it seem as if you're encouraging people to post in Japanese. Also, you say providing a translation is good manners, but you're not doing that in the quoted paragraph!

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:40 pm

I think Japanese will of course come up a lot, all I ask is that people provide a translation at the same time and don't assume everyone understands it.

I.e. "Sachiel is kawaii! (cute) ...okay bad example, but you know what I mean
Who is "Codename V"?....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:39 pm

I've done some more "general refinery". I still need to add some things (like a section that addresses Banning specifically), but in good time. Now, for the rest...

@Rules in General: I don't have much to add to what Ornette's already said. We've needed to post the forum policies for quite some time now (and a version that actually covers all the bases, unlike the old Rules page for EMF). Although some recent forum nonsense helped motivate me to sit down and actually type them out, it isn't specifically intended to "punish" people. It's also decidedly still a work in progress; that's why this thread was created and left open for feedback.

@ Red Text: This policy occurred to me with the realization that red text (especially bold red text) had gradually become a sort of "red light" used by the admins/mods to get people's attention. (I think Steve originated the practice.) For this purpose, it, naturally, helps if the "little people" aren't throwing it around; it makes it stick out more when it IS used.

I did revise the policy to allow non-bold red text to be used in posts (in moderation), but not in signatures. The reason is simple: Which is going to produce more "red noise" on the forum -- an isolated instance of red text in someone's post, or a line or two of red text in someone's signature?

To be honest, red is also not the nicest color to have to have to see constantly, especially against a light background.

@Age: This was never a consideration on my part. There will always be the stereotypical 14-year-olds who come in and do the “hay guyz wats up! this form rox, eva is teh best anima evar!!!!111 (even if kowrou is teh gay lol)” thing, or just don't know how to behave in general, but the lack of a formal relationship between age and maturity has already been mentioned. How would an "18 and Up" thing keep rugrats out, anyway?

Dr. Nick wrote:This doesn't sound too good to me. The adjective "natural" makes it seem as if you're encouraging people to post in Japanese. Also, you say providing a translation is good manners, but you're not doing that in the quoted paragraph!

あら…ごめんなさい… Er, I mean, sorry. I did want to include some note regarding Japanese, and I thought that 日本語 (Moonspeak) would be inferable from context. Current version any better?

SSD wrote:I'm okay with them, though I don't understand what image sigs can't be allowed provided it's a small size and linked via photobucket or some such thing.

The reasoning behind this is explored in grotesque detail (if memory serves) in the now-locked Image Sig thread. Should I briefly summarize the "logic" in the rules?

V wrote:"Sachiel is kawaii! (cute)

Oh gawd, anyone who says that should be throttled immediately! まったく、サキエルは「かわいい」んでしょうね。だけど、ウィーアブー方が…絶対に断じてもっとも悪いことである。*

Millions wrote:Casual cursing should always be allowed.

I agree. There are certain things that are inappropriate, of course, which I elaborated on slightly.

Kaysow wrote:Expect deviations tho, noone's gonna learn and follow those compulsively.

This is true -- though, are things like attentiveness to one's quotes and not double-posting really that difficult? (Eh, V? Eh?)

* Supposed to be, "Sachiel is indeed 'kawaii'. However, the way of the weeaboo is the absolutely most terrible thing there is." I bet I screwed up somewhere.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Oh come on you know Sachi is cute; you've stated for the record that if Sachiel were not a fictional character, you would have sex with him. Not that I'm judging that.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:08 pm

Reichu wrote:The reasoning behind this is explored in grotesque detail (if memory serves) in the now-locked Image Sig thread. Should I briefly summarize the "logic" in the rules?

If it's not too much trouble...

まったく、サキエルは「かわいい」んでしょうね。だけど、ウィーアブー方が…絶対に断じてもっとも悪いことである。

Hehehe... ^_^

あ、そうそう。レいチゥたちのろうどうにありがとう!
(Ah, I just remembered/that's right. Thanks for the work, Reichu and everyone!)

And just to be clear, red text=Admins/Mods only, correct?

Anyway, I think Ornette makes a very good point about age and all that. I've seen 20something year olds act completely immature while teenagers act like adults. Though I have seen people "acting their age" as well.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Red text is annoyingly attention-grabbing for a lot of people. :wink: Which is why red is reserved for mods and admins only. I wanted to make some exception for red in sigs, but Reichu vetoed it.

Age really doesn't matter, and the whole idea of an age barrier is plain unnecessary. There are some 14 year olds I've seen who are amazingly mature in their posting.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”